Menu

how to say "bhangra" - the style of music?

What I've heard among my Pakistani in-laws is "b-hahng-ra." Two syllables; the first h is not silent. The g is barely pronounced.

Don't know if that's helpful or not! :)

My Panjabi ex husband said it quickly, starting with a breathy fast version of BAH, as in bah humbug without the H, really, and the BA part rattling around in your sinuses, with a HONG (short o) all slung together with a "gra" at the end, rhyming with bra, but shorter and gruffer in the vowel sound. It is two syllables, but the first one is slurred.

It was the music at our reception. :)

Edited by kalanamak

Like tundra, with the following substitutions:

bh for t: you hear both the B and the H. Like when we say BL we hear both letters, the BH in Hindi includes both sounds. Like saying "ha!" when you've just gotten a "b" sound halfway out of your mouth.

g for d: it doesn't change the "n" sound as in "sung." it's bhun - gra, not bhung - ra.

See, I knew I had to ask, or I would go fearfully wrong! I might not get it quite right, but I don't think I'll sound completely silly. Not that I anticipate saying it constantly, but dd11 discovered a new channel on the Roku :D

Edited by katilac
there's no such thing as a rolu