Menu

Pros and Cons of getting a GED. Has your chilid gotten his/hers?

Thinking of just having my son get his GED. He is almost through with our homeschool (one more year to go) but he just doesn't want to sit and learn anymore. It's a struggle and stress everyday for me. I'm to the point I think I want him to just get his GED and get out there and work.

I need the pros and cons to him getting his now. He is all for it but I wanted to research it out a bit first.

TIA for any thoughts on this.

I don't have a child this age but I'm wondering if he has enough credits to graduate from your homeschool? I don't know what your state requires. Ours requires 4 yrs of english, 3 yrs of math, 3yrs of science and 3 yrs of history. It is not stated what these have to be.

I'm interested in hearing others thoughts on this. I have a middle school son that hates school so we might be in the same position as you in a couple of years.

We did that with my oldest son. He graduated early at 16. My hubby said he had to get his ged in order to be able to do that, to prove to others that he was "educated". He has worked full time since then. He is now 21. He bought his first home when he was 20. It was a fixer upper so he has had to learn how to wire, plumb, roof, rebuild trusses, sheet rock, paint, etc. He has done all the work himself with the help of his friends, except for putting the foundation under neath. This kid never enjoyed school. He went to public through first grade and they wanted to test him for ADHD, we said no and homeschooled him. For him, it was the right decision. I have another son that will be 18 next week and he works full time and schools in the evening. It wouldn't have been the right thing for him. I think you have to look at each individual and decide what is right for them. I know there are definitely some things we would have done different with my oldest, but he has turned out all right!:D My son has found out that if there is something you missed in your education you can go out and learn about it at anytime. Somehow, if they are interested in it, and it is their idea they learn it better and faster than if it is something mom is pushing at them. HTH

I think that a lot of schools/people think that it implies that the student dropped out of school and then got a GED. It implies that they didn't finish, etc. (This is not necessarily my viewpoint)

I don't know about your state laws, but in IL, we determine when the child is graduated and give them a diploma. Of course, there are the state requirements that the student must fulfill.

I agree, I would (if possible) consider him finished and give him a diploma.

From previous posts on the High School Board, I gather that getting a GED is not just a matter of taking a test. Looks like at least some states require that you take classes first to make sure you are prepared for the testing. Some areas seem to be quite strict about this type of requirement. You might want to ask on the High School Board for particulars from parents who have been through the GED process.

I really don't know exactly what the pros and cons are, just wanted to share this story from our pediatrician. He and his wife homeschool their 7 children. When the oldest was ready to go to college he took his GED. He is planning on following in his father's footsteps and becoming a doctor. He plans on hanging up his GED in his office once he is a doctor! LOL

Thank you Krista, that is encouraging to know. We are leaning toward it. I want to make sure he actually has a high school education equivalent at this point because I don't think he has. He's slacked so much. I could give him a diploma and graduate him but does he really deserve it? Probably not. At least with a GED I will KNOW he passed and deserved it. He wants to be an armed security guard so he will go to a local vo-tech to get his training afterward.

I am a homeschool graduate. My curriculum (Christian Light Education) was "recognized in the state of Virginia" but not accredited, so my dad asked me to earn a GED as well. The process for me in Ohio consisted of taking a pre-GED test at the local library (which I blew away), then registering for the test and going for two days of testing at the local vocational school. Blew it away again. Fast forward 4 years, and I entered Indiana University Southeast. They had my placement exam results, my GED, and my diploma. Of course as a public university they would have needed to accept me on just the GED, so it would have made no difference whether I had a diploma or not.

Thank you Krista, that is encouraging to know. We are leaning toward it. I want to make sure he actually has a high school education equivalent at this point because I don't think he has. He's slacked so much. I could give him a diploma and graduate him but does he really deserve it? Probably not. At least with a GED I will KNOW he passed and deserved it. He wants to be an armed security guard so he will go to a local vo-tech to get his training afterward.

Well, he has a plan, yes? Do you think he can pass any entrance exams? Do the academic work?

I graduated my dds when they were 16 and had been attending community college for a couple of years. I figured they had done as much at home as they were going to. Graduating them gave them freedom.

If he can pass the exams and do the work, I say graduate him and let him move on.

Just wanted to add my input here. My 18yo dd and I looked into having her take the GED as an ease towards college entrance requirements. In our state (Iowa) you have to be at least 18yo to take the GED. You have to take placement tests in 5 subject areas and pass with a certain score before you can schedule to begin taking the 5 tests for GED. If you don't pass the placement tests you have to take special classes in that subject area.

My dd opted NOT to take GED and we just did our best to represent her to the colleges she applied to, and so far she has been accepted into three of those five colleges without the GED score, even though they "strongly recommended" that homeschoolers take the GED.

The best thing to do is call your local school district and they will get you in contact with the local GED person who can then tell you all that you need for the requirements in your state.

My dh has a GED (and a college degree).

Many people, still today, associate a GED with high school drop outs.

If at all possible I'd graduate him early instead. I know for my dh, he really regrets going the GED route.

It might not matter now but in 15 years he may wish that he had that diploma.

Good luck, it's a hard decision.

• 1 year later...
Guest pookieslogis

Hi my name is Brittany I am 16 years old and i am in a group home setting... I really want to get my GED thing and I need some Pro's and Con's of like the college aspects and if they look at you differently if you dont have a high school diploma and you have a GED instead... Like if you have a GED instead do they look at you as if you aren't as good as others who DO have a high school diploma?? i dont really know much about the whole process of GED but if you could E-Mail me and help me out a little i would really appriciate it...:bigear: I'm all ears...

pookie_slogis@yahoo.com

thank you so much,

Brittany S.

Ds just did his GED (got it? did it? whatever:tongue_smilie:) because Virginia Commonwealth University does not accept a homeschool diploma--it must be from an accredited high school. Just a heads-up.

(So, he has a transcript, reading list, took Compass test placement tests, took some CC courses, and SAT's--and a GED!)

I think a GED is just one more tool in the belt towards a future. I would also make a transcript of the work he has done, or compile a portfolio. I don't think the GED has the same negative association as it used to, especially when accompanied by the fact that the student was homeschooled.