Menu

Strings players needed (violin and viola specifically) for son's experiment....

My son is doing a science fair project on whether or not strings players have longer left fingers. He needs as many subjects as he can get for his data. He has made up a questionnaire that can be easily filled out.

If you or your kids might be interested in volunteering a bit of time to answer a few measurements and fill out the questionnaire.... here it is below.

a. Musical Instrument played ____________________

b. Hours/week practicing ______________________

c. Practice history (approximate hours/year for each year playing...can give an average)______________________

d. Age at which the instrument was taken up ____________

e. Age now _________________

f. Handedness (for playing) _________________

g. Gender ____________

h. Are you involved in any non-musical activities that might regularly stress the fingers: e.g., typing on keyboard, or dribbling a basketball? If yes, please list

Measurements: (Please take in cm from the middle of each knuckle. We found we got more reproducible measurements by drawing a dot on the middle of each knuckle and measuring from there to the end of the finger.)

Right hand Left hand

Index finger

Middle finger

Ring finger

Pinky

Thank you in advance!

A. violin (and piano)

B. 20 min a day, 5-7 days a week

C. consistently same as answer B

D. 8

E. 12

F. right

G. female

H. yes, fencing

Left hand (sorry, I did the left hand first) (I'm a lefty :D)

4cm

4.5cm

4.5cm

3.5cm

Right hand

3.5cm :confused:

4.5cm

4.5cm

3.5cm

She says that she has "tiny lady hands"... :lol:

Holy cow!! Her hands are sooooo small!

My son is doing a science fair project on whether or not strings players have longer left fingers. He needs as many subjects as he can get for his data. He has made up a questionnaire that can be easily filled out.

If you or your kids might be interested in volunteering a bit of time to answer a few measurements and fill out the questionnaire.... here it is below.

a. Musical Instrument played Violin

b. Hours/week practicing 20+ hours (close to double that in the summer)

c. Practice history (approximate hours/year for each year playing...can give an average)It's hard to say, probably about 7000 hours in total

d. Age at which the instrument was taken up 3

e. Age now 15

f. Handedness (for playing) Right

g. Gender F

h. Are you involved in any non-musical activities that might regularly stress the fingers: e.g., typing on keyboard, or dribbling a basketball? If yes, please list Some typing and knitting (if that counts), but probably not enough to really matter

Measurements: (Please take in cm from the middle of each knuckle. We found we got more reproducible measurements by drawing a dot on the middle of each knuckle and measuring from there to the end of the finger.)

Right hand Left hand

Index finger 9.5 cm 9.75

Middle finger 10 cm 10.5

Ring finger 9.75 cm 10

Pinky 6.5 cm 6.75

Thank you in advance!

She's quite proud of her asymertic hands. :tongue_smilie:

b. Hours/week practicing 14 hours

c. Practice history (approximate hours/year for each year playing...can give an average) 4500 hours?

d. Age at which the instrument was taken up 4

e. Age now 13

f. Handedness (for playing) Left, but she plays the same way as other violinists

g. Gender F

h. Are you involved in any non-musical activities that might regularly stress the fingers: e.g., typing on keyboard, or dribbling a basketball? If yes, please list Lots of drawing and painting

Right hand Left hand

Index finger 9 cm 9 cm

Middle finger 9.75 cm 10

Ring finger 9 cm 9 cm

Pinky 6.5 cm 6.75 cm

b. Hours/week practicing 3-4 hours if I'm lucky

c. Practice history (approximate hours/year for each year playing...can give an average) Maybe 7000 hours

d. Age at which the instrument was taken up 9

e. Age now Uhh...37

f. Handedness (for playing) Right

g. Gender F

h. Are you involved in any non-musical activities that might regularly stress the fingers: e.g., typing on keyboard, or dribbling a basketball? If yes, please list Too much time typing on the computer

Right hand Left hand

Index finger 9 cm 9 cm

Middle finger 9.75 cm 9.75

Ring finger 9 cm 9 cm

Pinky 6.5 cm 6.5 cm

I also have younger kids (10, 8, and 6) who play violin and cello. I can measure their hands too, if you want.

My dd is at orchestra practice, but I'll ask her when she gets home!

But as another piece of data, her violin teacher has a much shorter pinky than normal - it was severed at the upper joint by a zipline when she was a child!

Does she use it to play like other violinists or does she work around it?

Does she use it to play like other violinists or does she work around it?

Uses it to play just like other violinists. Made it hard for my dd to complain that her pinky was hard to "get tall" on the sting or reach notes with when her teacher has a whole knuckle's worth missing and sounds great...