Menu

Did anyone else with Florida's Bright Futures get a surpise loan this semester?...

Paz

We got a notice in the mail that a loan was being either paid out to the school or my ds. We never applied for one but since you now need to go online and fill out a financial aid form to receive Bright Futures it automatically applies for grants and loans for you. The loan was for close to 8000 dollars and was in my ds' financial aid in box in his website for school. If he did not change it to 0 requested and submit he would have received the loan. Crazy, I think. Just wondered if anyone else had this happen and to give those who are applying in the future a head's up.

This might be a glitch in the system or something intentional. I don't know. We never filled out the FAFSA form until this year. In order for him to get Bright Futures this semester it was a new requirement that he fill this out as part of getting it. I really don't think we checked any boxes that allowed for loans or grants and I know we didn't sign anything. Aparently my son got an email about it which he deleted because he didn't know what is what. The only knowledge we had was when when a letter arrived from his college this Saturday stating that $2500 was either being sent to ds or the school on his behalf for the direct student loan. They told my dh today that if ds goes online and puts 0's in for both the loans, yes 2 of them, that he wouldn't receive them. I really don't like the way this was done.

Agreeing with K-FL. My ds has received notice of that a Stafford loan was available both last year and this year. He hasn't required either and they haven't ever been disbursed. You have to sign the paperwork, I believe, for it to be disbursed. I did keep a copy of this year's offer, with my handwritten "loan refused/never disbursed" written across. This was just for my records.

HTH,

Lisa

The option of a Stafford loan has been offered each semester for all my 3 of my dds on their finacial aid contract. I believe that we just decline them each semester if we don't want to take them. But yes, that would have suprised me too if I got that info and hadn't signed for the release.