Menu

Qs about the new achievement test from McGraw-Hill called Terra Nova . . .

Is anyone familiar with this?

Is this the standard achievement test used in Ohio?

The reason I'm asking is that ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) has dropped the use of the Stanford test and replaced it with this McGraw-Hill published test.

I have heard ----and this is one point I want clarified---- that the Terra Nova test is a test which is coordinated with the Common Core standards. I haven't read enough about Common Core to begin to understand its background and reasons to replace the other achievement tests. I *do* know, however, that my state of VA is one of just a few which has not adopted Common Core. I find this interesting.

If you know anything about Terra Nova or Common Core, please comment on them.

Thanks!

Is anyone familiar with this?

Is this the standard achievement test used in Ohio?

The reason I'm asking is that ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) has dropped the use of the Stanford test and replaced it with this McGraw-Hill published test.

I have heard ----and this is one point I want clarified---- that the Terra Nova test is a test which is coordinated with the Common Core standards. I haven't read enough about Common Core to begin to understand its background and reasons to replace the other achievement tests. I *do* know, however, that my state of VA is one of just a few which has not adopted Common Core. I find this interesting.

If you know anything about Terra Nova or Common Core, please comment on them.

Thanks!

Terra Nova has been around for about 15 years. They are widely used in DOD schools (probably in part to provide a consistent standard across all DODDS schools, which don't fall under state testing guidelines when the school is located on a military base overseas). So the test in one form or another probably predates the common core.

I think that VA was one of the earlier states to adopt a state set of educational standards (the SOL's had already been adopted in 1998, when I was in grad school). The main testing that they do is to measure students against the SOL's. Until/unless a different set of standards is adopted, SOL correlated testing will continue. And I think that in the case of VA, the entire scheme was a result of legislation, not regulation; meaning that it would probably take legislation to make changes - not just a decision from the VDOE.

I haven't followed the Common Core discussion very avidly. But a couple observations. It looks like adopting that set of standards was something that earned a state more points in the Race to the Top competition for federal funding. Also, the Common Core website lists an impressive number of states that have adopted the Common Core standards. But the map and listing don't indicate that some of the states have only adopted some of the standards (ex. Math and English). If you click on the links to each state it gives more info about the details of what was adopted.

On one hand, I find it an interesting idea, on the other I think it is a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

As far as Terra Nova goes, I don't think that it would be more or less disconnected to the emphasis we have for our homeschool than other tests (like ITBS or SAT).