Menu

What kid's books do you wish would be turned into a movie?

I vote for Gone Away Lake!!! :001_wub: (We just finished it)

The kids think Hayley Mills would be perfect for it. I think she's a little to old to play Portia! :tongue_smilie:

So, what do you think?? Which books would your family like to watch on film?

I vote for Gone Away Lake!!! :001_wub: (We just finished it)

The kids think Hayley Mills would be perfect for it. I think she's a little to old to play Portia! :tongue_smilie:

So, what do you think?? Which books would your family like to watch on film?

I went so far as to suggest Mercedes and the Chocolate Pilot to a friend of mine who has dabbled in screenplays. Wonderful story.

Mad Scientists' Club has enough adventures for a couple sequels too.

Mysterious Benedict Society would probably make a good movie. I wonder how the twist about Constance would play out on the screen.

I think anything by Edward Eager would be fun to see, but I also can't imagine it being done well, so I'm not sure about that.

In fact, most of the books I can think of that I would personally like to see as movies are things that I think there's no way they'd get right, so it makes me not want to see them. We saw Kazu Kibuishi at the book festival last week and he talked about how his Amulet series is in development as a vehicle for Will Smith's kids. Bleh. It should be a Studio Ghibli animated film. So wrong.

Sort of a different topic, but I desperately wish they would make Cornelia Funke's Dragonrider into a big, long epic animated TV series. Maybe two 12-15 episode seasons long. It was originally conceived as a TV serial but she ended up writing it as a book. However, when I read that tidbit, it really clicked for me how perfect that would be and how much the book reads like a series of episodes. If it was done right, it could rival something like Avatar: The Last Airbender, I think.

Also, I think the books in the series The Wright 3, The Calder Game, etc. would make a great CBBC series for tweens if it was well-written. American outlets don't really make semi-serious live action dramas for tweens and young teens. Alas.

I have to say I really enjoyed the Ramona and Beezus movie. It cracked me up (the actress playing Beezus was wonderful), and it also had many sweet, tender moments. I thought they did a good job making that movie out of I think more than one of those books.

If it could be done as well, I would go to see The Penderwicks on screen.

Keys to the Kingdom series, ds and I were discussing the logistics of properly adapting a seven book series the other day.

He so wants someone to remake the Percy Jackson movie so they can do the entire series correctly. We've had many a long discussion about that one.

None. I prefer that books stay books, although I have enjoyed LOTR and Harry Potter movies.

Francie wants them to make Warriors movies. Neeley votes for Andrew Lost. They both vote for "Jack and Annie" (Magic Treehouse) being made into a series.

Tara

He so wants someone to remake the Percy Jackson movie so they can do the entire series correctly. We've had many a long discussion about that one.

Yes, we've had many (many, many, many) long discussions about that, too.

My son is convinced that he will buy the rights when he is an adult and produce a new version.

I guess I don't really understand why film-makers have to buy books and then make movies that have so little to do with the storylines and spirit of the books. I think they should just have enough creativity to make up their own stories and leave my books alone!

I guess I don't really understand why film-makers have to buy books and then make movies that have so little to do with the storylines and spirit of the books. I think they should just have enough creativity to make up their own stories and leave my books alone!

:iagree:

Tara

I have to say I really enjoyed the Ramona and Beezus movie. It cracked me up (the actress playing Beezus was wonderful), and it also had many sweet, tender moments. I thought they did a good job making that movie out of I think more than one of those books.

If it could be done as well, I would go to see The Penderwicks on screen.

My daughter hated the Ramona movie. She turned it off in the middle and declared that she wanted nothing more to do with it. She has only actually read the Ramona and Beezus book, not the whole series, and was mad when it was too different than the book. It is a serious pet peeve of hers.

My first thought was the Sisters Grimm series but after reading the books, we would all probably hate it.

We agree on Percy Jackson. Ugh, that movie was bad and disappointing! It was ds11's first taste of his favorite book being turned into a movie, I think he's cynical now. For comfort, I have a friend at Disney that says they are going to remake Haunted Mansion because the first was such a flop. So Disney is not opposed to remaking if it means they might be able to get Pirates of the Caribbean money. So there's hope. :)

I read they are turning Nicolas Flamel series into a movie. Ds and I love that series!

Ds was not surprised, but so disappointed. We went to see it opening day at the theater, and we don't go to the theater a lot. I got it on Netflix once it released just to double check my first impression, ds wouldn't even watch with me. :confused:

Yes, we've had many (many, many, many) long discussions about that, too.

My son is convinced that he will buy the rights when he is an adult and produce a new version.

My ds will help. He thinks they should remake it now. :lol: We're reading LotR (only on chapter 11), so far we agree with Peter Jackson's condensation of the book, much different than Columbus' slash and burn of Percy Jackson. Although it looks like they are attempting to do Sea of Monsters, according to IMDB. :svengo: