Menu

McRuffy Math ~ anyone supplement w/ conceptual math? WHAT/HOW?? Math Mammoth??

Neesy

I would appreciate ANY opinions on this. I WAS actually going to purchase the new, 3rd edition Bob Jones math UNTIL I saw McRuffy Color math and talked to the author. They will even print a special cover (not showing the grade level) for my 8yo ds who is developmentally not at grade level. I didn't want him to feel "dumb"...ya know?

Anyway, I have found 99% great reviews for McRuffy, reviewed all the samples, and it looks like something my boys would love and that I would love to teach. Going to purchase K and 1st.

I also really liked what I saw with Math Mammoth, but ultimately McRuffy "won out". I just don't want to leave out the conceptual math altogether and I don't want to over-schedule either.

:confused:HELP Please!:tongue_smilie: Ideas??

Thanks in advance!!

Denise

I am not a ton of help, but I will tell you what little I have for you. We were using McRuffy, and there are a lot of things I like about it, but it is lacking in the mental math department. I was looking for ways to add in mental math without burning out my child or myself, but I gave up and decided to switch to Singapore. I don't think adding in mental math would be impossible, just more work than it was worth to me. If I were to do it, I would start by going through and crossing out all the lessons I thought were not particularly important, then I would replace them with mental math activities from something like this.

Another idea I have for you is to use whatever curriculum you think is best. Take it to Kinkos (or wherever) and have them cut the binding off, toss the cover with the grade level printed on it, and coil bind it. If you want you can create a new cover for it, print it on cardstock, and have that added before they coil bind it.

Another idea I have for you is to use whatever curriculum you think is best. Take it to Kinkos (or wherever) and have them cut the binding off, toss the cover with the grade level printed on it, and coil bind it. If you want you can create a new cover for it, print it on cardstock, and have that added before they coil bind it.

I had to laugh and I wanted to clarify. I was not wanting to use McRuffy BECAUSE they would customize the cover for me. I just thought that was an added, nice "benefit" to using McRuffy. Honestly, I don't really want a 100% mental-math based program.

I had looked at this http://www.christianbook.com/verbal-math-lesson-level-1-ages/michael-levin/9780913063095/pd/063095?event=BB&bookbag=1&item_code=WW before and really liked it. The lessons could easily be done daily even with the McRuffy lessons, as they don't take a lot of time. I also like some of the products from Critical Thinking Press. I was thinking about Mathematical Reasoning, but the books are pricey and claim to be a complete curriculum....so....maybe too much?

I hope some others jump in, here!

Thank you for your sharing, I really appreciate it! :)

Denise

I'm not sure if I'll help or not but we are using McRuffy and Singapore with the occasional bit of MM thrown in if she needs some review in a particular area (ahem, subtraction!). I love so much about McRuffy and I'm surprised it is not more widely used since it is *extremely* user-friendly for the parent, it is visually very nice to look at without becoming overwhelming and the lessons take relatively short time to complete. We are in first grade though and I've only used K and some of 1st at this point, so I have no idea if it really ramps up in grades 2-4.

I do not think it is overwhelming for a child to do McRuffy + another program. We do McRuffy daily. I use Singapore to teach concepts and McRuffy is sort of like extra practice with cool stuff that is organized for me (like tangrams and various games) that I don't have to pull together on my own. Singapore is actually not my favorite as a teacher, I think I'd actually like MM + McRuffy more as I really like how MM teaches concepts and it is organized in a way that I like. But the pages are so, so overwhelming for my kid. I know they say to cross some of it out and only complete some of the problems but just looking at the page makes my kid sweat. It is just really busy and she is very visually distracted.

Anyway, long story for not much info. Sorry about that. I've heard a lot of good things about MEP and it's free - maybe you could check it out and use it to teach with and to give extra practice when needed.

I am using Mc Ruffy for my youngest and we love it. It has games and lots of hands on activities. He loves it. I think it does a pretty good job explaining concepts to him. We also use Miquon. He is my 2nd child to use Miquon. Miquon has the books go by color so no grade level. My 10 year old zoomed through math with Miquon. The 1st book even get to multiplication but the kids can handle it because of the rods. My 5 year old is learning so fast with this combo and we don't spend very long on math (it is rare to work longer than a 1/2 hour).

Miquon also makes a great supplement because it is grouped by topic. I can work out of the addition pages if that is what I need or move to measurement or clocks. It is also inexpensive. The teacher's manual is a must because it has explaination about how to teach the different topics and how to use different pages. One example is it show you have to turn a counting page into an addition page.

We LOVE McRuffy Math here! Right now I'm using K color math with my ds and supplementing with Miquon. I'm also using 2nd grade color math with my dd...but also supplementing with Miquon, Singapore CWP, and MM. McRuffy does not take us long to complete, so I am able to do one math in the morning and one in the afternoon. My dd7 needs the practice though...

I love so much about McRuffy and I'm surprised it is not more widely used since it is *extremely* user-friendly for the parent, it is visually very nice to look at without becoming overwhelming and the lessons take relatively short time to complete. I agree! I researched reviews on it extensively and seems "almost" across the board to be loved by all...well...."almost" all of course. The reviews seem to be very consistent as well.

I do not think it is overwhelming for a child to do McRuffy + another program. We do McRuffy daily. Singapore is actually not my favorite as a teacher, I think I'd actually like MM + McRuffy more as I really like how MM teaches concepts and it is organized in a way that I like. Yep, that's what I was thinking too. Plus, someone on here said if my dc had learning disabilities or issues, that Singapore would not be a good choice for them. But the pages are so, so overwhelming for my kid. I know they say to cross some of it out and only complete some of the problems but just looking at the page makes my kid sweat. It is just really busy and she is very visually distracted. I think that would be a problem for my guys as well :glare:. Are the pages set up in such a way that they could actually be cut in half? Just a thought. I was thinking that was how Excel math was (half a page)....I looked at that a REALLY long time ago, though....don't even know if it still exists.

Anyway, long story for not much info. Sorry about that. Don't apologize...I so appreciate you sharing your experiences so far! I've heard a lot of good things about MEP and it's free - maybe you could check it out and use it to teach with and to give extra practice when needed. That's funny...I actually HAVE that in my documents. I downloaded it last year. I have printed off the number cards and the ordinal picture card. Those number cards I thought were brilliant! I wonder if I have everything I need for that. I seem to remember thinking it felt like something was "missing". I seem to remember some stories...or was it songs....that I had never heard of and couldn't find them on the internet either. Hmmmm. I will have to revisit that file again and do some research! Thanks for reminding me about that one. :)

:001_smile:Thank you AGAIN for sharing!! I SO appreciate it!!:001_smile:

Denise

I am using Mc Ruffy for my youngest and we love it. It has games and lots of hands on activities. He loves it. I think it does a pretty good job explaining concepts to him. We also use Miquon. He is my 2nd child to use Miquon. I'm just wondering "why"...if McRuffy is hands on, your dc loves it, and it does a good job explaining concepts. LOL! Sorry...I have never seen Miquon and only samples of McRuffy. So.... I am left wondering "why" is everyone "adding" to it?? Is it that incomplete? I almost feel like I am becoming more confused, instead of gaining clarity. :confused: Miquon has the books go by color so no grade level. I "like" that! My 10 year old zoomed through math with Miquon. The 1st book even get to multiplication but the kids can handle it because of the rods. My 5 year old is learning so fast with this combo and we don't spend very long on math (it is rare to work longer than a 1/2 hour). Wow...that is awesome! :thumbup:

Miquon also makes a great supplement because it is grouped by topic. I can work out of the addition pages if that is what I need or move to measurement or clocks. It is also inexpensive. The teacher's manual is a must because it has explaination about how to teach the different topics and how to use different pages. One example is it show you have to turn a counting page into an addition page. Hmmmm....more teacher's manuals to read. That one makes me cringe a little! :glare:LOL!

Well, thank you for sharing what is working for you. Just when I think my research is about over, I come across something else I need to check out. That is the beauty (& sometimes the curse...lol) of homeschooling....SO MANY choices! I know we'll figure it out sooner or later! Thanks again!

Denise

P.S. Going to check out Miquon :seeya::leaving:

We LOVE McRuffy Math here! Right now I'm using K color math with my ds and supplementing with Miquon. I'm also using 2nd grade color math with my dd...but also supplementing with Miquon, Singapore CWP, and MM. Ugggh! ;) McRuffy does not take us long to complete, so I am able to do one math in the morning and one in the afternoon. THIS...Lord willing...will NOT be happening in my home! LOL!! Unless that afternoon math is disguised as a game! :D More power to 'ya, though! I am rightly impressed! :thumbup1: My dd7 needs the practice though...

Thank you for sharing!

Denise

Hi Denise!:seeya: I don't have a lot to offer here but I just thought I might suggest that you use McRuffy a while before you add anything. I know our kids have some similarities and I know mine would be overwhelmed with too much change too fast. McRuffy comes with a lot of games so that may be enough for a while. Then maybe slip in a little MEP here and there and if he's loving math try some Miquon!

I hope you find what works for you guys!

I am using McRuffy with my first grader. Currently it is the main program I use, and I feel it does a decent job of conceptual understanding- maybe not as much as others may want but some of the activities (games) build on each other for a better understanding. For us it is important that we do the games when scheduled. I just started using some Marilyn Burns ideas because I love including literature into where I can. I do agree with someone who suggested waiting to add, I had to get a feel for the program and then how it works with my daughter- for the most part great! And you may feel out your preferences as time goes on. Good luck!!:)

:001_smile:

I just started using some Marilyn Burns ideas because I love including literature into where I can. :)

I would really love to hear more about this. I love Marilyn Burns and have been wanting to use the math literature idea, as my boys LOVE stories...and hands-on! I have been looking at so many teacher books from our library on that subject. So far: Math and Literature Books one and two (Marilyn Burns). These are really good, but seem to be lacking structure...for ME, in that the books/lessons don't seem to be divided in any particular "order" or operations. I don't know how I would actually use them with a math program...unless I read the whole book, took notes, and dissected it....which I do NOT have time for. LOL.

One I absolutely love and used last year is called Mrs. E's Extraordinary Number Activities (PK-K) Each number has activities, read alouds, and reproducibles. LOVE it! I just wish there were books by Ms. Etringer for older kiddos :-(.

I also have one I am reviewing from the library right now called, Math Links: Teaching the NCTM 2000 Standards Through Children's Literature (Evans, Leija, Falkner)...excellent....divided into chapters according to the standards. It also lays out each book, title, summary, time frame for the lessons, materials needed, mini and group lessons (some too classroom-geared for us to use :glare:), discovery and reflection activities, ways to assess, adaptations for children w/ special needs, lesson extensions (these are great), software and related literature (MORE books!), and reproducibles that go with the lessons. I wondered if an entire program could be created just using this book...BUT.... I just don't have the confidence to try it :001_huh::confused:. Plus, the book and lessons are geared for the classroom.

ALAS...my absolute **FAVORITES** so far are these:

Teaching Early Math Skills with Favorite Picture Books (K-3)

Literature-Based Math Activities: An Integrated Approach (K-3)

Meeting the Math Standards with Favorite Picture Books (2-4)

Hands-On Math and Literature with MathStart Levels 1 & 2 (PK-K/1-2)

I am definitely going to be using these, no matter what core math program we go with.

If you are interested, you can check them out on amazon and look at sample pages. Except for the Hands-On MathStart ones...sample pages are here for those: http://www.didax.com/shop/searchresults.cfm/Keyword/hands-on%20math%20and%20literature%20with%20mathstart.cfm

I was just curious what YOU were looking at...Marilyn Burns, etc.? LOL! As if I need anything ELSE to look at!! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks so much for sharing!!

Blessings,

Denise:)

We LOVE McRuffy Math here! Right now I'm using K color math with my ds and supplementing with Miquon. I'm also using 2nd grade color math with my dd...but also supplementing with Miquon, Singapore CWP, and MM. Ugggh! ;) McRuffy does not take us long to complete, so I am able to do one math in the morning and one in the afternoon. THIS...Lord willing...will NOT be happening in my home! LOL!! Unless that afternoon math is disguised as a game! :D More power to 'ya, though! I am rightly impressed! :thumbup1: My dd7 needs the practice though..

lol...let me explain:lol:

DD7 attended ps for K and 1st. She managed to get all satisfactory scores in math...however, I can ask her what 3+1 is and I get a deer in the headlights look:tongue_smilie:I think McRuffy is a great stand alone program, which we settled on after trying many different curriculums. She has no conceptual understanding of math what-so-ever. She NEEDS the extra practice...once I see some 'ah ha' moments, we will most likely drop some supplementation. She will do one lesson in McRuffy in the morning, then in the afternoon when the littles are napping, we will do no more than one page of supplementation AND we only do one supplement each day...ie. Mondays MM, Tuesdays Miquon...etc...and of course there are some days we do not add in anything:001_smile:

Sorry it sounded like we do A LOT...we really don't:D

Edited by 4maybabies

After trying many, many different math curriculums, we are thrilled with McRuffy. And, we do supplement with MM & Singapore. But, you wouldn't have to.

The reason we do, is for a few reasons. One of the big reasons, is that I didn't always do the time tests when I was supposed to, and I didn't do any flash cards. So while my dc understand the concepts, it doesn't just "come" to them. I already had the Singapore, so I figured I might as well use it, and the MM is something that helps reinforce and gives them practice. Also, on super-busy days, I will have them do a few pages of MM, and think "Okay, at least we got some math done.":D

The lessons in McRuffy are perfect for a math challenged person like me, and my dc really learn. And the big bonus is the short lessons.

Good luck with it.:001_smile:

Denise- I am only using Marilyn Burns- and at times it's for inspiration you could say :001_smile: I have her book About Teaching Mathematics, and she promotes teaching the strands through problem solving. In the book she has examples of what this could be under each strand as well as teaching the concepts. I get ideas from it. Recently using the book, Inch by Inch, by Leo Lionni I read it and just used it as my introduction to more formal measuring with my first grader after having done activities with measuring with non-standard units. She did not suggest the idea but something from the book made me think of it. I understand about getting too many ideas, so I'm sticking with her for now :001_smile:

After trying many, many different math curriculums, we are thrilled with McRuffy. And, we do supplement with MM & Singapore. But, you wouldn't have to.

The reason we do, is for a few reasons. One of the big reasons, is that I didn't always do the time tests when I was supposed to, and I didn't do any flash cards. So while my dc understand the concepts, it doesn't just "come" to them. I already had the Singapore, so I figured I might as well use it, and the MM is something that helps reinforce and gives them practice. Also, on super-busy days, I will have them do a few pages of MM, and think "Okay, at least we got some math done.":D

The lessons in McRuffy are perfect for a math challenged person like me, and my dc really learn. And the big bonus is the short lessons.

Good luck with it.:001_smile:

:iagree:I understand the "many, many" different math curriculums! At least for elementary. We have been homeschooling for 20 years and I STILL have not found an elementary program I *LOVE*. HOWEVER....I have decided on and am super excited about McRuffy, so we'll see. I also "own" the now out-of-print Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten series, so I may pull some of that in with our 6 yr. old. We did some from those books last year, but he wasn't even ready for that. I may end up only using those if I find he isn't ready for McRuffy K. We have decided to put our 8 yr. old ds in the 1st grade McRuffy, based on the samples and the emails from Mr. Davis. He was SO helpful. He is also printing him special books with no grade-level references. Our ds is very sensitive to feeling "dumb" and he can READ! If he read, "first grade", he would be devastated. I guess the grade level isn't just listed on the front cover...maybe at the bottom of the pages? Anyway, Mr. Davis said it won't be anywhere in his book...and they are doing it at no extra charge! How awesome is that!? :)

I also really like the looks of Teaching Textbooks and I am thinking we may just go straight from McRuffy to that. We have always done Rod and Staff for grades 4-7 and have been happy with it, then the kids would go into Teaching Textbooks Algebra. Back then though, there weren't any younger TT grade levels. I think my boys would enjoy the computer aspect of TT. Time will tell...

Anyway, I appreciate you sharing with me. What I am still wondering from you (or ANYONE) using Math Mammoth...."how" do you supplement? Do you match the practice to what they are currently learning in McRuffy or do you use it for review of concepts they've already done? Do you purchase a whole curriculum or just individual books? I'm just kind of "fuzzy" on how you do that. Also.......the Singapore??

I understand if you don't have time to explain it to me. I could start another more specific post about this.:001_smile:

Thanks again!

Blessings,

Denise