Menu

Amanda Knox Verdict!!!

Someone thought the private plane was a bad idea?

Well, out local commentators mentioned that there is no double jeopardy in Italy, so the prosecutors can file another appeal if they are dissatisfied with this verdict. So, she better skedaddle out of Italy.

I have seen no evidence and no motive. Why would she have killed her roommate?

The point is actually the evidence. The DNA evidence was so scant that it was deemed by experts to be unreliable. So whether she's truly innocent or truly guilty is sort of beside the point - it was determined that there was not enough actual evidence to bring charges in the first place.

Someone thought the private plane was a bad idea?

Well, out local commentators mentioned that there is no double jeopardy in Italy, so the prosecutors can file another appeal if they are dissatisfied with this verdict. So, she better skedaddle out of Italy.

I'd get my passport in hand and get out of there as quickly as possible.

Of course she is not guilty. She is young and pretty and middle class, and all crimes are committed by ugly poor people.

I do not understand the sympathy for her (obviously).

Terri

As previously stated, no motive, and more importantly, botched and mangled and misinterpreted forensic evidence.

The most incriminating evidence I read (incriminating the police officers and prosecutors, not Amanda) was how MUCH forensic evidence in the room pointed to the girl's boyfriend, and how there was nothing pointing to Amanda and her boyfriend. With all the blood allegedly on the scene, I found it hard to believe that they could meticulously remove all traces of themselves but somehow leave those of the other dude.

At least she didn't have to wait 18 years. And for all the (forgive me) whining the victim's family is doing about how their daughter has been forgotten, they DO have the murderer. The victim's boyfriend confessed and was convicted. The question has always been, were Amanda and her boyfriend in on it, or was it solely the victim's boyfriend.

Now compare that to the families of the three boys the West Memphis 3 were convicted of killing. They now still have to find their sons' murderer(s).

At least she didn't have to wait 18 years. And for all the (forgive me) whining the victim's family is doing about how their daughter has been forgotten, they DO have the murderer. The victim's boyfriend confessed and was convicted. The question has always been, were Amanda and her boyfriend in on it, or was it solely the victim's boyfriend.

Now compare that to the families of the three boys the West Memphis 3 were convicted of killing. They now still have to find their sons' murderer(s).

Exactly. In the latter case, there is evidence pointing (possibly) to one of the *fathers*. Actually, I thought that another one of the father's was the one who did it, so I'd like to see what investigators turn up. I hope they never give up on that case.

So, what exactly are the elements of guilt that make you think she's guilty? If you have no reason to kill someone and there is no evidence that you did it, I'm confused at why you would think that person is guilty?

I do not know whether she is guilty or not, and neither does anyone else on this board, but I doubt her case would have attracted .01% of the attention that it has if she were male, or ugly, or poor. And motive has never, ever been an element of guilt. No court in this country or, as far as I am aware, any other one, has ever held otherwise. You do not have to have a motive to be guilty.

Terri

I do not know whether she is guilty or not, and neither does anyone else on this board, but I doubt her case would have attracted .01% of the attention that it has if she were male, or ugly, or poor. And motive has never, ever been an element of guilt. No court in this country or, as far as I am aware, any other one, has ever held otherwise. You do not have to have a motive to be guilty.

Terri

The prosecution does not HAVE to present motive, but they can and it sure as heck helps. I have never known a case with a plausible motive where the prosecution did not choose to present motive. Yes, you can win a trial without it, but every prosecutor would prefer to have it.

Females are statistically less likely to commit murder than males, so it stands to reason that female murderers do get more attention.

Add in the factors of "stranger in a strange land" and the Italian official's weird theories and indictment on his own charges, and yep, it's an attention-getting case all right. It would be strange if the case didn't get attention, but it's not strange that it did. It was a lot more than 'pretty white girl from the suburbs.'

Add in the factors of "stranger in a strange land" and the Italian official's weird theories and indictment on his own charges, and yep, it's an attention-getting case all right. It would be strange if the case didn't get attention, but it's not strange that it did. It was a lot more than 'pretty white girl from the suburbs.'

And add in the fact that this same prosecutor had similar bizarre theories regarding the the Monster of Florence defendants.

The man who confessed was Meredith's boyfriend? This is the very first place I have read that. Everything i read led me to believe he was a stranger or a very peripheral acquaintance.

... that there is still a dead young woman and a grieving family.

Laura

I am not dismissing that but doesn't Amanda's family deserve to be happy that their daughter will not sit in jail any longer for a crime she didn't commit? Not sure what you are getting at, I just said her family's happiness was a joyful sight. Would you be okay with your daughter being in jail for four years for a crime she didn't commit? Would you not be happy also?

The man who confessed was Meredith's boyfriend? This is the very first place I have read that. Everything i read led me to believe he was a stranger or a very peripheral acquaintance.

I read an article that said he was an acquaintance who occasionally sold them drugs....

There really doesn't seem to be enough evidence to pin the murder on Knox, so I'm glad she is now free.

... that there is still a dead young woman and a grieving family.

Laura

I don't get this point.

If Knox is not guilty, which a court just declared her to be, then her getting out of jail is something to celebrate.

the court could be wrong...or it could have been wrong when it convicted her.

We don't know, really.

I am not dismissing that but doesn't Amanda's family deserve to be happy that their daughter will not sit in jail any longer for a crime she didn't commit?

Personally, I can't think of one family without thinking of the other, however, The Knox family has a daughter back; the Kercher family does not.

Laura

Of course she is not guilty. She is young and pretty and middle class, and all crimes are committed by ugly poor people.

I do not understand the sympathy for her (obviously).

Terri

So are you saying that anyone who thought she was wrongly convicted thinks that because she is pretty and middle class?

It's true of course that people associate ugliness with evil for both biological and cultural reasons. (Beauty --which in all cultures involves symmetry-- is associated with an overall better pool of genes in the individual)

However, to imply that the motive of anyone who supports her is that she is pretty,etc. is pretty judgmental.

I don't know whether she is guilty or not. The whole description of her lifestyle in Italy grossed me out. Then turning cartwheels while she waited for police questioning seemed to portray a totally callous individual, but could be the weird nervous behavior of a young person under pressure. Changing her story, implicating an innocent man... all that sounded guilty to me. On the other hand, if it is true that she was under intense police interrogation... people crack under that and people do say things just to get it to stop. Failing to state that she didn't kill her roommate when she got to speak to the court during the first trial-- that sounded guilty, too. Most people, even criminals, will have little places where they actually hedge their words to avoid a straight out lie. She said, "I don't want the mask of an assassin put on me." Very weird wording and just the kind of denial that liars use. But this trial, she clearly stated that she didn't do it. don't have any particular liking for the woman. However, if there isn't the evidence to convict her, she shouldn't spend the rest of her life in jail.

I read an interesting book on the case.....I went in thinking she did it......but the book made a very good case that explained some of her bizarre behavior.

I don't think she did it.

After reading the Monster of Florence I don't trust the prosecutor one bit with his weird theories of what happened. He happened to be on trial himself for a bunch of stuff related to that case.

I read an interesting book on the case.....I went in thinking she did it......but the book made a very good case that explained some of her bizarre behavior.

I don't think she did it.

After reading the Monster of Florence I don't trust the prosecutor one bit with his weird theories of what happened. He happened to be on trial himself for a bunch of stuff related to that case.

What was the book you read about her case? Several times, I have wished that I had started following along sooner. I missed a lot.

So are you saying that anyone who thought she was wrongly convicted thinks that because she is pretty and middle class?

Hey, I'm delighted the scruffy looking 58 year old man in Texas just got out after 25 years because of DNA. I never even heard of him before today, and I'm still happy. I'm also really happy he wasn't "put down" for the crime 25 years ago.

Now then, she'll make millions off of this, and it will remain to be seen where her life will go ... I'm thinking of my .sig. I really like the adage that money doesn't change a man, it makes him more like himself.

I am sure you are already aware that motive and lack of motive are often presented as evidence in criminal trials. Attorneys argue motive and lack of motive in courtrooms all over the nation every single day, and juries can and do consider motive and lack of motive. Not being an element of a crime doesn't make something irrelevant. So of course when people discuss whether they think someone in the news might be guilty, motive or lack of motive will often be appropriately included in the discussion.

Hey, I'm delighted the scruffy looking 58 year old man in Texas just got out after 25 years because of DNA. I never even heard of him before today, and I'm still happy. I'm also really happy he wasn't "put down" for the crime 25 years ago.

yeah, see that's how I feel as well. Nearly all the time that someone is released based on DNA,etc, they do fit the "not pretty" profile and when their freedom is secured, it is a time to celebrate for them. It's a marvel how often they will declare that they are not bitter, making them not only tragic figures with a happy ending, but role models for the rest of us.

There will always be a young woman's whose life was cut tragically short and her family will always mourn her. :( But if Amanda Knox is innocent, (and there seems to be no proof that she isn't) then she deserves to be happy and celebrate, as does her family.

I don't understand why it has to be brought in that "this girl is dead and her family is mourning" because people are relieved Amanda was acquitted. No one is celebrating the murder. No one is saying Meredith didn't or doesn't matter. But that isn't actually what this thread is about. It is about a woman who might be innocent being found innocent. No need to get superiour and judgy on people for expressing their emotions.

As to her being pretty and middle class and a female - yeah, that does make her make the news more than an ugly, poor, male. But even an ugly, poor, *American* male in Italy accused of murder is going to make our news, over and over and over.

And plenty of ugly, poor men have been acquitted and as someone who has watched "Snapped" <insert embarassed face here> plenty of pretty, wealthy women have been convicted. Just sayin'. ;)