Menu

Now that melons are killing people...

dh has decided to start buying them every trip to the store.

The first one, he hadn't heard the news. In light of his recent plight with food poisoning, we decided (hesitantly) to go ahead & throw it away.

But what does he do next time he goes to the store? Buys another one. :svengo:

Well, then you'll really like this: he had the gall to tell a 9mo pg woman she was being irrational (when I tried to throw the 2nd one away, but really, does context matter).

Don't call the authorities, though. I promise he's still breathing. What can I say? I'm a saint. :lol:

We just ate cantaloupe today. Ooops.

It's probably been long enough since the recall that it's ok. I wouldn't freak out if I'd just read about it, but...I'm not ready to buy them yet.

Although, that could be influenced by the fact that cantaloupes, imo, taste like wet cheese.

dh has decided to start buying them every trip to the store.

The first one, he hadn't heard the news. In light of his recent plight with food poisoning, we decided (hesitantly) to go ahead & throw it away.

But what does he do next time he goes to the store? Buys another one. :svengo:

Well, then you'll really like this: he had the gall to tell a 9mo pg woman she was being irrational (when I tried to throw the 2nd one away, but really, does context matter).

Don't call the authorities, though. I promise he's still breathing. What can I say? I'm a saint. :lol:

Why wouldn't you just return them back to the grocery store? :confused:

No, I believe at least 12 people have died, and nearly 90 have become quite ill from them. About 7 states have found the same listeria strain, I think, so far. I read yesterday that Wegmans in western NY (Erie and Niagra counties) carried some of the original infected ones from Colorado.

Mortality rate is usually grater than 25 per cent....

YIKES! I was posting at the same time as you!

No, I believe at least 12 people have died, and nearly 90 have become quite ill from them. About 7 states have found the same listeria strain, I think, so far. I read yesterday that Wegmans in western NY (Erie and Niagra counties) carried some of the original infected ones from Colorado.

Mortality rate is usually grater than 25 per cent....

Oh, I read several articles this morning. I bet the one that cited 3 deaths was old...I forgot to check the date.

But another one said it's been found in 28 states so far. I hadn't read about the mortality rate.

Fortunately, the cantaloupes at our store have been in horrible condition. Who wants to buy cantaloupes covered in bruises and soft spots, starting to go bad? I haven't bought any for a few weeks because of this.

See, these have looked ok, but they're SO TINY that they're ugly!! But dh is wooed by the price: 49c/lb. He'd buy black banana goo if the price were low enough. :tongue_smilie:

Him: "But we can make banana bread!"

Me: "Yeah, but WILL we? Besides, we have our own black banana goo at home already." :lol:

The worst part about listeria, besides hitting the old, young, pregnant, and immuno-compromised worst, is that it can have a LOOOOONG incubation period. It might be weeks after you eat an infected food before you start to come down with symptoms.

The official death toll is up to 15, according to the CDC website.

My dh loves cantaloupe, but I pretty sure it'll be at LEAST a year before he's comfortable with eating it. The man is serious about avoiding food-borne illness. Seriously; I'm betting a year *minimum.

And OP, your title made me picture a cantaloupe on a rampage with a kitchen knife, chasing people around the grocery store. :D

Do you ever suspect that he would prefer not to do the grocery shopping? I wonder about that with my dh--not seriously, but just that when he keeps buying things in SIZES that i keep saying I don't want (ie as GIANT as possible and we have little storage), it does occur to me that would be a perfect strategy if he wanted me to stop asking him. I, however, am ever optimistic and am always shocked when he buys still another container of something that will not fit in our cabinets!

Do you ever suspect that he would prefer not to do the grocery shopping? I wonder about that with my dh--not seriously, but just that when he keeps buying things in SIZES that i keep saying I don't want (ie as GIANT as possible and we have little storage), it does occur to me that would be a perfect strategy if he wanted me to stop asking him. I, however, am ever optimistic and am always shocked when he buys still another container of something that will not fit in our cabinets!

No, because I asked him not to go this AM, but on that note, I just saw the milk he bought.

He paid nearly a dollar more for milk in a lower fat than we ever buy because it was organic. BUT it was that price because it expires in 2 days. Milk usually lasts us a week.

I'll betcha anything he doesn't know what day it is today. Which would explain the lack of response when I pointed out yesterday that our baby is due in 4 weeks. I had to rephrase it as "one payday." :lol:

My dh loves cantaloupe, but I pretty sure it'll be at LEAST a year before he's comfortable with eating it. The man is serious about avoiding food-borne illness. Seriously; I'm betting a year *minimum.

And OP, your title made me picture a cantaloupe on a rampage with a kitchen knife, chasing people around the grocery store. :D

We should shoot the cantaloupes to protect our families!!

Why is he doing this? I don't get it.

The first one, he didn't know about the recall. The 2nd, well. He knew that the recall was on melons from CO. He'd heard that melons from CA were ok. The sign said, "These melons are from CA." He asked the guy working in that area, "Are these melons REALLY from CA?"

And then he bought it. He says because the price was low & he's trying to be healthy & frugal. Noble, that. He also says because the last time he cut one up, he didn't get any because it was gone so fast. Therefore, we must LOVE them. On the contrary, he cut up ANY fruit & set it in front of 4 children unattended. :lol:

So it's not as crazy as it sounds, but...still...good grief! He was supposed to get milk & eggs & be back in 10 min. Instead, he checked out the melons (no pun intended) & haggled over grapes & bought weird clearance milk that will go bad fast enough that he's just going to have to go back to the store in 2 days. Of course, maybe that's his goal...so he can go buy another melon. :lol:

ETA: I'm sure the store's selling them because they're NOT part of the recall. I bet this melon is just fine. BUT the effects of listeria on pg women is infant death. I'm just not putting 9mos into baking a baby to have it all go wrong over a melon I don't like anyway. I may have used the phrase "baby-killing melon" during the, um, melon-altercation. Which happened (by chance) to immediately follow a sincere heart-to-heart in which I TOLD him I'm at that point that I need lots of patience & understanding & I'm sorry-in-advance for whatever I say to you over the next 4 weeks.

Short. Term. Memory. How it became a fatal disease.

Edited by Aubrey

Oh, great. I have 2 melons in the fridge. :glare:

I looked and there's no stickers to identify where are they came from. Out in the trash they go.

Oh, I'm so sorry! The articles I've read, though, say you need to bleach your fridge & anything they've come in contact w/. Apparently, listeria is quite a booger.

What is really funny is the darn things are on sale.....and i LOVE melons....and want one....but......:tongue_smilie: Oy! They are finally affordable and I am afraid to eat them....ugh!

Faithe

Dh, who spent a WEEK w/ food poisoning less than a mo ago, apparently, is not. And this is a guy who has lamented that he's lost the very essence of himself because he's having to be. careful. not. to. get. food. poisoning. (Eg: He likes trying new foods--not contaminated ones.)

ETA: I'm sure the store's selling them because they're NOT part of the recall. I bet this melon is just fine. BUT the effects of listeria on pg women is infant death. I'm just not putting 9mos into baking a baby to have it all go wrong over a melon I don't like anyway. I may have used the phrase "baby-killing melon" during the, um, melon-altercation. Which happened (by chance) to immediately follow a sincere heart-to-heart in which I TOLD him I'm at that point that I need lots of patience & understanding & I'm sorry-in-advance for whatever I say to you over the next 4 weeks.

Ahhh. Suddenly, the picture is becoming clear. :lol::lol:

Well, the good news is - should he buy another most-likely-perfectly-safe melon, and cut it up for himself and the kids....there won't be enough for you anyway! :D

No, because I asked him not to go this AM, but on that note, I just saw the milk he bought.

He paid nearly a dollar more for milk in a lower fat than we ever buy because it was organic. BUT it was that price because it expires in 2 days. Milk usually lasts us a week.

I'll betcha anything he doesn't know what day it is today. Which would explain the lack of response when I pointed out yesterday that our baby is due in 4 weeks. I had to rephrase it as "one payday." :lol:

I guess it's that irresistible hunter-gatherer. My ds likes to bring home the big ones--yours brings home the healthy ones! I wonder if the wives of real hunter gatherers were muttering, " Another buffalo! I asked for an elk. What? He can't tell the difference between a buffalo and an elk? But it's "This is the biggest bison in the whole herd!" We.dont. need. more . bison. but does he listen?..."

I guess it's that irresistible hunter-gatherer. My ds likes to bring home the big ones--yours brings home the healthy ones! I wonder if the wives of real hunter gatherers were muttering, " Another buffalo! I asked for an elk. What? He can't tell the difference between a buffalo and an elk? But it's "This is the biggest bison in the whole herd!" We.dont. need. more . bison. but does he listen?..."

:lol:

Dh and I went grocery shopping last night. I noticed a large sign on the front door, as well as signs all around the produce dept. that were explaining that their cantaloupes were not affected by the recent re-call. I knew I was in trouble when dh took off on his own little tour of the dept., and then I heard, "Hey honey, look, cantaloupes are on sale, half price! Let's get 2." :eek:

Dh and I went grocery shopping last night. I noticed a large sign on the front door, as well as signs all around the produce dept. that were explaining that their cantaloupes were not affected by the recent re-call. I knew I was in trouble when dh took off on his own little tour of the dept., and then I heard, "Hey honey, look, cantaloupes are on sale, half price! Let's get 2." :eek:

We should make sure we're not married to the same guy. :lol: