Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

creekland

College acceptances - class of 2012

LOL - I know what you mean. I tried and tried to get the first two to consider other colleges. Nope. They applied to one and got into one. Now the youngest thinks his choice has suddenly crystalized. Sigh. He is reaching considerably higher, so I am going to push him to visit other colleges and apply to the other ones he likes. He may change his mind again. He has time (he is in 11th). But his brothers experience is not exactly helping either of us to look around. This one, having watched his brothers, can do more of the process himself, but it is still a lot of work...

Congrats, Catherine!

Nan

Boy do I understand your angst! DD applied to 12 institutions, got into all 12, and had options galore. Her first choice didn't offer enough merit aid - well, she was given a very generous package but room and board was hideously expensive and she was required due to one scholarship to move into honor's housing for which they didn't cover the extra $3000.00 a year charged for that. With our contribution, she could have gotten away with one $5000.00 loan per year and we didn't think that was bad for pre-med/chemistry, but she is an anti-debt kind of kid and politely declined. I'm so glad she didn't have her heart set on that one and only place because I think she would have really agonized about her decision. She ended up at her "safety school" (this cracks me up because given their very high tier 1 status, I wouldn't consider it a fall-back plan) without debt.

But, here's where I can relate...this ds coming up is the kind of kid that is going to easily fixate on ONE place. I worry that if he doesn't get in or doesn't get enough merit to attend there, he'll be very disappointed and go into his freshman year wherever he lands less than enthusiastic. So, though he's only beginning his sophomore academic load, we are beginning college visits now in order to try to help him see a bigger picture and feel like there are many options open to him and all of those are worth being happy about.

2nd ds is going to be the tough one. There are only about 12 uni's with the level of herpetological research for undergrads that he is interested in and so he starts off with a small list of options and then has to figure out which ones are the right fit and hope to get into one of those programs. He'll probably ace he math, science, and reading portion of the ACT, but he'll totally bomb the English...seriously, I despair of ever getting him to pay attention to the rules of grammar and writing....sigh. That's not going to help anything. He'll have AP's in math and science and he's doing some very competitive things right now in his extracurriculars which will hopefully help an admission's department look past the fact that this child does not think punctuation is a necessary component to written communication or that the rules of capitalization are optional. :glare:

He definitely worries me most of all because he has a definitive plan for his life and all of it hinges on the right progression from B.S. through PH.D. and research opportunities plus live abroad options...primarily Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, etc.

I just read "Crazy U". I can completely relate to this father. Some portions made dh and I laugh, others made us quack in our shoes!

Faith

Creekland - congrats on U of R! You made me chuckle when you said you would wait a month or two until you start researching for the next. Somehow, I'm not sure if that will happen! :D Everything I learned from this college search will be thrown out the window for the next one. I'm going from creative intellectual-type kid to dyslexic athlete. Aaack. Dh and I are not athletes...

JennW - Yay for Wooster!!! Wonderful news. Jane's ds sounds like an amazing kid. Your ds will be in good hands. I look forward to updates on his Wooster experience.

Ds will be visiting Oberlin again this weekend. If it doesn't feel right, we'll be making a visit to Wooster again.

I neglected to add The University of Texas at Austin to ds' list of acceptances when the letter arrived a while back.

Now he's in decision-making mode.... such a difficult time!