Menu

College acceptances - class of 2012

creekland

Thin White Envelope. As compared to Big Fat Envelopes. Academy Appointments come in cool folders, like diplomas. Someone told me yesterday that they got a TWE but the school had printed Big Fat Envelope on the outside! :D

Cute! Thanks for the added information; TWE was new to me.

Regards,

Kareni

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stepped out for a weekend and see there's tons to catch up on now that I've returned...

Congrats everyone!!! It is really neat seeing the diversity on this board. We may be one hive, but we fill in many different niches on this planet. To me, that's a plus!

I'm convinced that homeschoolers can do anything - according to their talents and "loves."

I'm eagerly anticipating the news that should be coming up this week for those still waiting.

Wow, Lisa - Oberlin and merit aid!! So happy for you and your ds!

:party:

We are thrilled, Kathy! And after being excited for a minute, what is the first thing dh says?? But what if Stanford comes back with a yes??!!

With 37,000 applicants, the chances are practically nil. S doesn't even think about Stanford.

So yes, Jane, this should seal the deal! He did ask if he should still attend the overnight at Haverford, but quickly said, "What am I thinking? Oberlin wants me! And they gave me money to prove it!"

Tomorrow, we will have a talk about the other schools. Maybe we can think rationally then! Kenyon, Macalester and Haverford gave no merit (Haverford never does), so they are off the table. Maybe we should visit Wooster and Denison again, when we visit Ohio.

Until then, we are hoopin' and hollerin'!

Edited by lisabees

Congratulations to everyone who's gotten such great news!!!

My son, Nicholas, just found out he got accepted to California State University at Sacramento and University of California at Davis! We almost didn't apply as the admissions people said to not apply and the applications said that your high school classes had to be from an accredited high school - and as a home school we are not accredited. :glare: But we decided at the last minute to apply and leave it in the Lord's hands and he got into both! :hurray:

He said no to Sac. State and yes to UC Davis. Now just to wait for news regarding scholarships.

Congratulations to all the other acceptances too!:hurray:

Wow, congratulations to Nicholas -- and to you! :party:

And good job not taking 'no' for an answer :lol:

That's encouraging for the rest of us in CA!!!!! My son will also apply to at least one UC as an (increasingly expensive) backup, and it's SO nice to hear of a homeschool acceptance, especially when, as you say, the admissions departments are so discouraging! :glare: In fact each UC, and each person you talk to at the same UC, often give different answers ... :001_huh:

Lisa - Double congratulations to your son on acceptance to Oberlin AND the scholarship! It must feel great knowing his top choice is affordable.

Gretchen - Congratulations to your son on the CA state school acceptances. I hope you hear good news soon regarding scholarships.

We looked at Capenwray for Sara Maria last year. She ended up going on to college, but would have loved to spend a year there. :)

Sometimes it just doesn't work to take a year between high school and college. That's why I love the idea of "spring school". It works out so nicely for those last 2 months of the senior year. While my son didn't get the whole kit-n-kaboodle, he did have a wonderful experience that he will cherish forever.

My son heard from his last school yesterday - accepted at Reed College. He also had good news in the mail from Grinnell - a $22K scholarship and air fare for him to attend one of the accepted student days in April. One of his grandmas in IA has offered to transport him between Grinnell and St. Paul if he wants to visit Macalester at the same time. He's been to both campuses, but it was during Spring Break last year, so he's only done tours and info sessions.

Best of luck to anyone still waiting!

I feel a bit silly posting since they've known for a bit... and now we're waiting on financial aid info still from some, but since I love reading all of your success stories....

DD1 -- accepted at SCAD (Savannah College of Art & Design), Knox College, Carroll University, and BYU (Brigham Young University)

DD2 -- accepted at Marquette University, Ripon College, Carroll University, and BYU (Brigham Young University)

The financial aid stuff is stressing me out, but I'm trying not to show it! ;)

Congrats everyone!!!

This is a scary thread for me. Next year my youngest will be applying to colleges-plural. The oldest two just applied to one school and got in (and we were not too surprised). Youngest has his sights set higher and in-state public, which will be tricky as a homeschooler. I have no idea if his dreams are reasonable. Absolutely none. Backup plan is to do cc and transfer, which we know will be fine, as long as the whole Massachusetts homeschooler thing doesn't become a problem. I really want more for him, though.

Nan

My son heard from his last school yesterday - accepted at Reed College. He also had good news in the mail from Grinnell - a $22K scholarship and air fare for him to attend one of the accepted student days in April. One of his grandmas in IA has offered to transport him between Grinnell and St. Paul if he wants to visit Macalester at the same time. He's been to both campuses, but it was during Spring Break last year, so he's only done tours and info sessions.

Best of luck to anyone still waiting!

Frances, what an amazing list of acceptances! Any decisions?

I feel a bit silly posting since they've known for a bit... and now we're waiting on financial aid info still from some, but since I love reading all of your success stories....

DD1 -- accepted at SCAD (Savannah College of Art & Design), Knox College, Carroll University, and BYU (Brigham Young University)

DD2 -- accepted at Marquette University, Ripon College, Carroll University, and BYU (Brigham Young University)

The financial aid stuff is stressing me out, but I'm trying not to show it! ;)

Yahoo! Wonderful news. The money aspect is extremely stressful and overwhelming to be sure.

My son, Nicholas, just found out he got accepted to California State University at Sacramento and University of California at Davis! We almost didn't apply as the admissions people said to not apply and the applications said that your high school classes had to be from an accredited high school - and as a home school we are not accredited. :glare: But we decided at the last minute to apply and leave it in the Lord's hands and he got into both! :hurray:

He said no to Sac. State and yes to UC Davis. Now just to wait for news regarding scholarships.

Congratulations to all the other acceptances too!:hurray:

Gretchen in No. CA

Yay for UC Davis! I am beginning to think that most of these schools are getting very used to homeschoolers!

Dd found out a few days ago that she has an Assoc of West Point Grads prep school scholarship. That means she's automatically accepted at any of five prep schools: NMMI/Marion/Greystone, etc that she chooses, plus if she does a good job, she has an automatic acceptance to West Point for the Class of 2017! Now, here's hoping she'll take it! Still nothing from Navy but she's managed to dodge the TWEs that went out two weeks ago.

Wow!! Is she gonna take it? Any news from the Navy?

My dd got into Franklin & Marshall, with an awesome finaid pkg, by far making it the best option. She was waitlisted at Bucknell, which, I have her convinced, was a compliment.

As an update from my first post, the boys have their last acceptances as well, one got into Stonehill and the other was accepted at RIT.

I have no idea how we are going to make decisions, financial will probably trump though.

Still shocked by the whole "three kids going to college at the same time"! Your kids have done wonderfully. :)

Mooooom,

Congratulations to all your dcs, good luck with decisions.

My dd2 has now heard on 2 of 6 applications, both positive.

She's still working on the required portfolio for one of her other applications -- things seem to be later (and more laid back) in Canada.

~Moira

Hope your dd has heard from the rest.

We looked at Capenwray for Sara Maria last year. She ended up going on to college, but would have loved to spend a year there. :)

Grace was accepted yesterday at the University of Virginia. She was wait-listed at Wake Forest, and we're still waiting to hear from William & Mary. No financial aid news yet, but we are SO excited that she was accepted at UVA.

Glad it worked out!

I've hesitated to post here because my daughter isn't going the traditional college route. Her goal for next year was to attend a private music school in England. The music she writes/performs seem to have its hub in England, and she was really hoping to do this. However, because of the new visa restrictions in England, the particular school she had her heart set on is not able to accept international students at this time. It is waiting for UK government approval, but they don't expect it to happen for at least another year.

So, as an alternative, she decided to apply at a Bible school in northern England (Capernwray Hall) for the school year, and found out awhile ago that she was accepted. It's only a one-year program -- so not a traditional college by any means. But, she's excited for it, and hopes that the music school will have gained international approval by the following year.

Who cares about traditional? Sounds like a lovely alternative; hope she can attend the music school next year.

I'm sorry for not posting, but I've enjoyed reading the accomplishments of all of your children. My dd was accepted at Hartford, Drexel, Hofstra, U of Buffalo (SUNY), Binghamton University (SUNY), Brockport University (SUNY), Syracuse University,U Mass Amherst and Siena. She'll be attending Binghamton in the fall and we're all REALLY excited!!!:party:

Hi all

Well dd2 didn't get into architecture at McGill -- although she's been accepted into the Arts Faculty there. She was disappointed but not overly so. She's more concerned about a summer job she's applied for :001_smile::

She's still trying to decide between architecture and Japanese. She's happy to go with Japanese at this point although that may change if she gets accepted at another uni in Canada whose deadline for portfolio's wasn't until April 1 (2 this year because of the weekend). So. We wait...

~Moira

Edited by Moira in MA

Ds is officially a Flying Dutchman! He sent in his deposit to Hope College today! After he confirms with them that he got it, he will call Beloit and take himself off their list. He is excited for their Honors Biology program, doing research as a freshman. I am relieved because I knew this was a better fit for him, but he needed to come to that conclusion himself.

I am sure I will wake up tomorrow in a total panic when I realize that it is real now!

Ds is officially a Flying Dutchman! He sent in his deposit to Hope College today! After he confirms with them that he got it, he will call Beloit and take himself off their list. He is excited for their Honors Biology program, doing research as a freshman. I am relieved because I knew this was a better fit for him, but he needed to come to that conclusion himself.

I am sure I will wake up tomorrow in a total panic when I realize that it is real now!

My best friend's daughter is a Hope grad. She had such great opportunities at this school! Congrats!

He's making a campus visit and overnight stay in the dorms at the end of this week.

I'm hopeful it works out well as it was more of a safety for him and he's not exactly thrilled to be going there, though I think it's a wonderful place for him. We'll see.

He's making a campus visit and overnight stay in the dorms at the end of this week.

I'm hopeful it works out well as it was more of a safety for him and he's not exactly thrilled to be going there, though I think it's a wonderful place for him. We'll see.

My guy is definitely going too. The Accepted Students Day was ok, but what he really enjoyed was staying in the dorms and meeting several other students. This is definitely his school - his fit (other than the weather). He's very much looking forward to going there in the fall. At this point I think he'd have picked it over WUSTL if he had a choice. He's definitely said he doesn't want to try for WUSTL's waitlist now. (UR has more research opps for undergrads and fabulous options for neuro/brain science).

I need to update my visit report later because fit is important for this school and anyone looking for the future could find it useful. We just got back yesterday evening and today I'm heading off to work very soon, so I can't do it now. If I actually get a prep period at school without much to do, I'll try to update then. If not, perhaps later or tomorrow.

I hope your guy loves it there too. My guy stayed with kids who turned down higher ranked schools (including Ivies) to go to UR. It's all about fit and what one wants to do. (That said, I do wish your guy had to choose - are you certain the waitlist won't come through? Maybe there's still a chance?)

To everyone who's updated... Congratulations!!!!

For us, it's such a relief having the choice made! We just have to let Pitt and Alabama know he's not coming (told Furman and Baylor earlier).

(And now I have to start researching great Tropical Botany colleges... ok, not now, but in another month or so I'll start.)

My guy is definitely going too. The Accepted Students Day was ok, but what he really enjoyed was staying in the dorms and meeting several other students. This is definitely his school - his fit (other than the weather). He's very much looking forward to going there in the fall. At this point I think he'd have picked it over WUSTL if he had a choice. He's definitely said he doesn't want to try for WUSTL's waitlist now. (UR has more research opps for undergrads and fabulous options for neuro/brain science).

I need to update my visit report later because fit is important for this school and anyone looking for the future could find it useful. We just got back yesterday evening and today I'm heading off to work very soon, so I can't do it now. If I actually get a prep period at school without much to do, I'll try to update then. If not, perhaps later or tomorrow.

I hope your guy loves it there too. My guy stayed with kids who turned down higher ranked schools (including Ivies) to go to UR. It's all about fit and what one wants to do. (That said, I do wish your guy had to choose - are you certain the waitlist won't come through? Maybe there's still a chance?)

To everyone who's updated... Congratulations!!!!

For us, it's such a relief having the choice made! We just have to let Pitt and Alabama know he's not coming (told Furman and Baylor earlier).

(And now I have to start researching great Tropical Botany colleges... ok, not now, but in another month or so I'll start.)

Your visit reports are truly wonderful! Thank you.

Tropical Botany - this should be very interesting. Our Eldest ds is going into anthropology/archaeology and that's been a different kind of search. But, the next one coming on is herpetology all the way and research, research, research so NO zoo programs. Biology programs that allow undergrad research options in zoology and have herpetological research facilities.

I'm afraid my future college reviews will go something like this: "EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!" The bigger the EWWWWWWWW, the more ds probably will like the school. :tongue_smilie:

Faith

That would really ease the pain of the narcissistic injury-LOL.

He would not take a WL spot at Hopkins, and it's very unlikely to be offered. He wasn't that thrilled about it in the first place and I really would discourage it as I just don't see it as the right place for him. He would take a (very unlikely) WL spot at Swarthmore. It's much closer to home, easy public transport home, everything he's looking for in a school, and gorgeous campus and more. He really wanted to be there.

My son is interested in neuroscience too, but not pre-med. He's a future engineer, probably. I know UR is very strong in physics, engineering, math...all the things he's most interested in. I'm very happy he's going there, and even though it's not close to home for us, it's only an hour from other family so he'll be close if it's needed.

That would really ease the pain of the narcissistic injury-LOL.

He would not take a WL spot at Hopkins, and it's very unlikely to be offered. He wasn't that thrilled about it in the first place and I really would discourage it as I just don't see it as the right place for him. He would take a (very unlikely) WL spot at Swarthmore. It's much closer to home, easy public transport home, everything he's looking for in a school, and gorgeous campus and more. He really wanted to be there.

My son is interested in neuroscience too, but not pre-med. He's a future engineer, probably. I know UR is very strong in physics, engineering, math...all the things he's most interested in. I'm very happy he's going there, and even though it's not close to home for us, it's only an hour from other family so he'll be close if it's needed.

He won't be alone not being pre-med. They said about 300 freshmen think they want pre-med (out of about 1100). On average only 75 apply to med school as many change their minds along the way (many head toward research instead). My guy knows NOTHING is written in stone on our end. I want him to find a niche he enjoys - medicine, research, or ??? He's already told us he wants to take his violin along since UR kids get free lessons from Eastman. ;)

Miami! - Tulane!

His favorite school so far has been the University of Hawaii at Manoa, but I worry about it being rather low academically (overall) and a big urban school. As a mom, I think this son needs a smaller environment and he can handle mid-range academics in general, high range in what he loves. What he'd REALLY like is an open course selection like UR offers (NO required courses other than a freshman writing class) as he's great at things he wants to study and so-so with things he doesn't care for. However, UR hardly has TROPICAL Botany.

Oldest found his first choice school, I made him find others, and he ended up at his first choice. Middle found his first choice school, I opened his mind to several others to where he almost didn't apply to his original first love (due to the weather) and now he's eagerly looking forward to fall there wondering why he "wasted time" applying anywhere else. :glare:

Part of me just wants to start looking at the facts for new students at UH figuring anything I do is going to be pointless. ;) The other part of me wants him to have choices and to see if I can find some for him to compare.

South Florida is going to be a prime hunting ground - and yes - I'll look at Tulane as well. It keeps me busy if nothing else.

I'm a UH alum, and while it has been many years, I'm sure many things have not changed.

The worst thing for an out of state kid is that UH is a commuter school, which does little to help a kid from the mainland make new friends. High school bonds are huge in Hawaii -- a common question on meeting someone new is "where you grad"? Those words exactly, and it means what high school did you go to. High school friendships stick for life out there. Getting into the dorms is hard as mainland kids have the lowest priority after outer island students and students from the other side of Oahu. Local culture can be a huge adjustment, too, between the local slang and food. I wound up living off campus, an expensive proposition, and it was hard to make friends, although I did meet my husband there!

If your ds is adventurous and independent, it could be great. And the plants and trees on the campus are quite amazing. The school was generous with aid - I had a full tuition scholarship from the music department even though I was not a music major. Take sun screen and mosquito repellent!

And, yeah, the academics are not necessarily top notch. Within some departments they are, but some of my general ed classes were pathetic.

I was a transfer student,mso didn't go as a green freshman, and I stayed for grad school. Lots of people go there from the mainland for grad school in things like tropical agriculture, Asian Studies and the like. Maybe something for your son to think of.

And now for our big news.

My ds is joining Jane in NC's ds at Wooster!:party:

This spring break week has been the last chance to visit schools and make the big choice. My ds did not want the hoopla of admitted student days, instead preferring to visit faculty and classes. Willamette didn't try very hard to sell themselves, though the weather was simply beautiful. Wooster, on the other hand, was full of welcoming staff and students. My son loved the campus, the "vibe", and the food, and has already been invited to apply for a research position this summer. He is especially impressed with their independent study program. We got to meet Jane's delightful son who gave us the low down on things not covered my admissions tours.

Ohio sure is pretty, too. Very exotic to us Southern Californians!

I'm a UH alum, and while it has been many years, I'm sure many things have not changed.

The worst thing for an out of state kid is that UH is a commuter school, which does little to help a kid from the mainland make new friends. High school bonds are huge in Hawaii -- a common question on meeting someone new is "where you grad"? Those words exactly, and it means what high school did you go to. High school friendships stick for life out there. Getting into the dorms is hard as mainland kids have the lowest priority after outer island students and students from the other side of Oahu. Local culture can be a huge adjustment, too, between the local slang and food. I wound up living off campus, an expensive proposition, and it was hard to make friends, although I did meet my husband there!

If your ds is adventurous and independent, it could be great. And the plants and trees on the campus are quite amazing. The school was generous with aid - I had a full tuition scholarship from the music department even though I was not a music major. Take sun screen and mosquito repellent!

And, yeah, the academics are not necessarily top notch. Within some departments they are, but some of my general ed classes were pathetic.

I was a transfer student,mso didn't go as a green freshman, and I stayed for grad school. Lots of people go there from the mainland for grad school in things like tropical agriculture, Asian Studies and the like. Maybe something for your son to think of.

Thank you VERY much for the info. There's a lot to think about for us. Youngest scores on the aspie spectrum. He can handle some things and is very independent (even somewhat social), but other things overwhelm him. It would help a lot if he had a couple of close friends also studying Botany, but I don't know that it would happen there. Saving UH for grad school could be possible - if I find an undergrad place for him that he'd accept. Being aspieish he's definitely more single tracked in his mind and right now UH is on that track since everyone (other professors from schools we've visited) has told him they're the best for what he wants to study.

And now for our big news.

My ds is joining Jane in NC's ds at Wooster!:party:

This spring break week has been the last chance to visit schools and make the big choice. My ds did not want the hoopla of admitted student days, instead preferring to visit faculty and classes. Willamette didn't try very hard to sell themselves, though the weather was simply beautiful. Wooster, on the other hand, was full of welcoming staff and students. My son loved the campus, the "vibe", and the food, and has already been invited to apply for a research position this summer. He is especially impressed with their independent study program. We got to meet Jane's delightful son who gave us the low down on things not covered my admissions tours.

Ohio sure is pretty, too. Very exotic to us Southern Californians!

Congratulations!!! Wooster sounds like a great school. I just recommended it for consideration (two weeks ago) to a homeschooling junior taking our state tests at our school.

Part of me just wants to start looking at the facts for new students at UH figuring anything I do is going to be pointless. ;) The other part of me wants him to have choices and to see if I can find some for him to compare.

LOL - I know what you mean. I tried and tried to get the first two to consider other colleges. Nope. They applied to one and got into one. Now the youngest thinks his choice has suddenly crystalized. Sigh. He is reaching considerably higher, so I am going to push him to visit other colleges and apply to the other ones he likes. He may change his mind again. He has time (he is in 11th). But his brothers experience is not exactly helping either of us to look around. This one, having watched his brothers, can do more of the process himself, but it is still a lot of work...

Congrats, Catherine!

Nan

LOL - I know what you mean. I tried and tried to get the first two to consider other colleges. Nope. They applied to one and got into one. Now the youngest thinks his choice has suddenly crystalized. Sigh. He is reaching considerably higher, so I am going to push him to visit other colleges and apply to the other ones he likes. He may change his mind again. He has time (he is in 11th). But his brothers experience is not exactly helping either of us to look around. This one, having watched his brothers, can do more of the process himself, but it is still a lot of work...

Congrats, Catherine!

Nan

Boy do I understand your angst! DD applied to 12 institutions, got into all 12, and had options galore. Her first choice didn't offer enough merit aid - well, she was given a very generous package but room and board was hideously expensive and she was required due to one scholarship to move into honor's housing for which they didn't cover the extra $3000.00 a year charged for that. With our contribution, she could have gotten away with one $5000.00 loan per year and we didn't think that was bad for pre-med/chemistry, but she is an anti-debt kind of kid and politely declined. I'm so glad she didn't have her heart set on that one and only place because I think she would have really agonized about her decision. She ended up at her "safety school" (this cracks me up because given their very high tier 1 status, I wouldn't consider it a fall-back plan) without debt.

But, here's where I can relate...this ds coming up is the kind of kid that is going to easily fixate on ONE place. I worry that if he doesn't get in or doesn't get enough merit to attend there, he'll be very disappointed and go into his freshman year wherever he lands less than enthusiastic. So, though he's only beginning his sophomore academic load, we are beginning college visits now in order to try to help him see a bigger picture and feel like there are many options open to him and all of those are worth being happy about.

2nd ds is going to be the tough one. There are only about 12 uni's with the level of herpetological research for undergrads that he is interested in and so he starts off with a small list of options and then has to figure out which ones are the right fit and hope to get into one of those programs. He'll probably ace he math, science, and reading portion of the ACT, but he'll totally bomb the English...seriously, I despair of ever getting him to pay attention to the rules of grammar and writing....sigh. That's not going to help anything. He'll have AP's in math and science and he's doing some very competitive things right now in his extracurriculars which will hopefully help an admission's department look past the fact that this child does not think punctuation is a necessary component to written communication or that the rules of capitalization are optional. :glare:

He definitely worries me most of all because he has a definitive plan for his life and all of it hinges on the right progression from B.S. through PH.D. and research opportunities plus live abroad options...primarily Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, etc.

I just read "Crazy U". I can completely relate to this father. Some portions made dh and I laugh, others made us quack in our shoes!

Faith

Creekland - congrats on U of R! You made me chuckle when you said you would wait a month or two until you start researching for the next. Somehow, I'm not sure if that will happen! :D Everything I learned from this college search will be thrown out the window for the next one. I'm going from creative intellectual-type kid to dyslexic athlete. Aaack. Dh and I are not athletes...

JennW - Yay for Wooster!!! Wonderful news. Jane's ds sounds like an amazing kid. Your ds will be in good hands. I look forward to updates on his Wooster experience.

Ds will be visiting Oberlin again this weekend. If it doesn't feel right, we'll be making a visit to Wooster again.

• 3 weeks later...