Menu

College acceptances - class of 2012

creekland

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't get much better than that! Congratulations!:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Thank you! It really doesn't. I took a video of him opening his acceptance letter. He keeps getting annoyed because I keep watching it over and over. It is such a proud moment.

I took a video of him opening his acceptance letter. He keeps getting annoyed because I keep watching it over and over. It is such a proud moment.

An especially proud moment for the parent, too, as it's one more validation for us that homeschooling works.

Regards,

Kareni

I love that you made a video. We did a "signing day" festivity with my eldest - with a cake in school colors, etc. I love the pix from that tho' they make me tear up every time I see them in the photo album.

Awww, maybe we'll do something like that when it's time to get to work on accepting. :D

Sweet! I can just imagine how touching that is to watch. Wonderful! :-)

It is. I'm going to try to video all my kids when the time comes. It's like giving birth in a way. Such hard labor gives way to a wonderful new experience. :001_wub:

Ok, so dd is only going to the CC, BUT... she is going to play softball there!!! This is something that she's wanted for a while, but not sure she would be able to acheive. I am so stinking proud of her!!! She was actually offered playing spots from two schools, but decided to go with the college she would have went to even if she wasn't playing softball. The best part is this is a Big 8 school and they have a proven track record of getting their players scholarships to universites.

I actually started crying uncontrollably when she read the email.:lol:

Ok, so dd is only going to the CC, BUT... she is going to play softball there!!! This is something that she's wanted for a while, but not sure she would be able to acheive. I am so stinking proud of her!!! She was actually offered playing spots from two schools, but decided to go with the college she would have went to even if she wasn't playing softball. The best part is this is a Big 8 school and they have a proven track record of getting their players scholarships to universites.

That is great! Those scholarships are a great benefit, plus she gets to do what she loves. Good job!

DD18 got her letter yesterday with acceptance into the Music department at her second choice school. We are still waiting for notification from her 1st choice, but the 2nd choice is offering more $$$ and is more affordable. Unless her 1st choice comes back with an improved offer, it looks like DD18 might have finally picked a school! Yippee!

DD18 got her letter yesterday with acceptance into the Music department at her second choice school. We are still waiting for notification from her 1st choice, but the 2nd choice is offering more $$$ and is more affordable. Unless her 1st choice comes back with an improved offer, it looks like DD18 might have finally picked a school! Yippee!

Congrats!

We are off to see 4 of dd's accepted-to colleges for real!! I don't promise a creekland-style report but, I promise to post things that seem interesting about each one. We are so excited to be able to tour them in real life at last. It will be interesting to compare real life to all the brochures and web info. We will await the financial aid packages and the decisions from the "final 3" before we make the decision. All the best to the acceptances so far!!!

We are off to see 4 of dd's accepted-to colleges for real!! I don't promise a creekland-style report but, I promise to post things that seem interesting about each one. We are so excited to be able to tour them in real life at last. It will be interesting to compare real life to all the brochures and web info. We will await the financial aid packages and the decisions from the "final 3" before we make the decision. All the best to the acceptances so far!!!

What a great time you will have! It will be interesting to hear your highlights! :-) Enjoy the time with your dd! What an accomplishment to have so many choices. Well done!

one child accepted at Providence, Assumption, Christendom College. Still waiting to here from BU and Harvard. financial aid info is not in yet from Assumpiton.

Second child accepted at UNH; accepted academically into University of Hartford; waiting to hear from Hartt school music audition and BU.

stay tuned.

Thank you! It really doesn't. I took a video of him opening his acceptance letter. He keeps getting annoyed because I keep watching it over and over. It is such a proud moment.

Love this. Congratulations!

This is huge! Congrats to you and your dd! So glad she doesn't have to give up what she loves to do.

DD just heard today that she was accepted into the R.N. program. She is SOO thrilled! :001_smile:

Yay! Good for her!!!

Doesn't that feel good?? Congrats.

one child accepted at Providence, Assumption, Christendom College. Still waiting to here from BU and Harvard. financial aid info is not in yet from Assumpiton.

Second child accepted at UNH; accepted academically into University of Hartford; waiting to hear from Hartt school music audition and BU.

stay tuned.

Crossing fingers for you! What great options.

What? No creekland-type report??? But, but...

Have fun!

Ds received two more acceptances with nice merit - Goucher and Denison. Waiting on 6 more. Just around the corner...

Is Creekland available to join you on the college tours? :lol:

I wish I could give her a list of colleges to visit for us! :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I forgot to say Congratulations!!! lol Congratulations to all on the acceptances!!!!!!

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Congratulations to all!

ps I've come to really enjoy visiting colleges. When we visit some for my SAT/ACT prep kids I'll put them on here too - just in case anyone is interested. These aren't 100% going to happen, but I plan to try to get some in - perhaps in the fall.

Then, in another year, we'll see where youngest wants to visit. I promise to put them on here even though he's in ps - plus I'll see if I can ask about anything special for homeschoolers. ;)

I am usually posting over on the K-8 board about my youngest and hardly ever post over here about my big boys. Anyway, second ds is graduating this year. In the fall he applied to Berea College and East Tennessee State University. He we accepted at ETSU and wait-listed at Berea. Well, today a letter showed up from Berea- an acceptance letter. Yay! :D:D:D

Mandy

Dd is over the moon today--first regular decision acceptance is IN--she has an acceptance in hand from the University of Illinois early action, but then decided to apply to more in hopes of hitting the lottery. Today, she did--Bryn Mawr. The next week is going to be tough, with all the other decisions rolling in, but even if there's no more, she's thrilled, and so am I!!

Danielle

So far my son has heard from four of his schools and is still waiting for word from the remaining four. He's been accepted to the state U, Willamette, University of Puget Sound, and Macelester, with merit scholarships at all of them. We received Macelester's FA package today and were very pleasantly surprised. They promise to meet the full need of all accepted students and award primarily need-based aid. But because our EFC from the FAFSA is fairly close to the COA, we weren't expecting much. However, he received two scholarships (including their top one), a grant (!), and work study (so no need to worry about personal spending $ if he doesn't find a summer job or gets an unpaid research position like last summer!).

Congratulations to everyone who has heard good news so far and good luck to all of those still waiting on acceptances and final aid packages!

Danielle and Frances - congrats on some fabulous schools! So glad the financial aid came thorough - what a relief!

S was accepted to Kenyon and Haverford. He is thrilled. :001_smile: Number one school is Oberlin, though. We should hear from them on Monday.

Danielle - maybe our kids will be neighbors. Good luck as more decisions roll in.

Frances - S was also accepted to Macalester, but we cannot do it financially. I'm happy it worked out for you - it is so disappointing when it doesn't.

Good luck to everyone this week. I am looking forward to this part of the process being over.

Danielle and Frances - congrats on some fabulous schools! So glad the financial aid came thorough - what a relief!

S was accepted to Kenyon and Haverford. He is thrilled. :001_smile: Number one school is Oberlin, though. We should hear from them on Monday.

Danielle - maybe our kids will be neighbors. Good luck as more decisions roll in.

Frances - S was also accepted to Macalester, but we cannot do it financially. I'm happy it worked out for you - it is so disappointing when it doesn't.

Good luck to everyone this week. I am looking forward to this part of the process being over.

Nice update everyone. Congrats to students and parents!

Waiting for the last of the acceptances and financial aid letters can be nerve-racking. Good luck all!

Jane

I've hesitated to post here because my daughter isn't going the traditional college route. Her goal for next year was to attend a private music school in England. The music she writes/performs seem to have its hub in England, and she was really hoping to do this. However, because of the new visa restrictions in England, the particular school she had her heart set on is not able to accept international students at this time. It is waiting for UK government approval, but they don't expect it to happen for at least another year.

So, as an alternative, she decided to apply at a Bible school in northern England (Capernwray Hall) for the school year, and found out awhile ago that she was accepted. It's only a one-year program -- so not a traditional college by any means. But, she's excited for it, and hopes that the music school will have gained international approval by the following year.

So, as an alternative, she decided to apply at a Bible school in northern England (Capernwray Hall) for the school year, and found out awhile ago that she was accepted. It's only a one-year program -- so not a traditional college by any means. But, she's excited for it, and hopes that the music school will have gained international approval by the following year.

My ds#2 is jealous! He would love to go back to Capernwray for their year program. He truly enjoyed his 2 months there and we saw tremendous personal growth in him when he returned. It may not be a traditional route, but, IMO, it is a very advantageous route for some students.

My ds#3 is looking forward to doing the 2 months spring school in 2013 to finish off his senior year - here's hoping he gets accepted :)

Congratulations to your daughter and I hope the music school position opens up for her next year.

Edited by CynthiaOK

My dd got into Franklin & Marshall, with an awesome finaid pkg, by far making it the best option. She was waitlisted at Bucknell, which, I have her convinced, was a compliment.

As an update from my first post, the boys have their last acceptances as well, one got into Stonehill and the other was accepted at RIT.

I have no idea how we are going to make decisions, financial will probably trump though.

My ds#2 is jealous! He would love to go back to Capernwray for their year program. He truly enjoyed his 2 months there and we saw tremendous personal growth in him when he returned. It may not be a traditional route, but, IMO, it is a very advantageous route for some students.

My ds#3 is looking forward to doing the 2 months spring school in 2013 to finish off his senior year - here's hoping he gets accepted :)

Congratulations to your daughter and I hope the music school position opens up for her next year.

We looked at Capenwray for Sara Maria last year. She ended up going on to college, but would have loved to spend a year there. :)

Grace was accepted yesterday at the University of Virginia. She was wait-listed at Wake Forest, and we're still waiting to hear from William & Mary. No financial aid news yet, but we are SO excited that she was accepted at UVA.

My dd got into Franklin & Marshall, with an awesome finaid pkg, by far making it the best option. She was waitlisted at Bucknell, which, I have her convinced, was a compliment.

As an update from my first post, the boys have their last acceptances as well, one got into Stonehill and the other was accepted at RIT.

I have no idea how we are going to make decisions, financial will probably trump though.

Mooooom,

Congratulations to all your dcs, good luck with decisions.

My dd2 has now heard on 2 of 6 applications, both positive.

She's still working on the required portfolio for one of her other applications -- things seem to be later (and more laid back) in Canada.

~Moira

Congratulations to everyone who heard good news this week-end!

lisabees - Those are some amazing acceptances and I hope your son hears good news from Oberlin on Monday and gets a great FA package. My niece is a freshman at Haverford and absolutely loves it.

My son is only waiting on one more school. This week-end he had good news from Grinnell, Whitman, Lewis & Clark, and the honors college at the state U (full tuition scholarship!).

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear about acceptances and FA packages. The finish line is in sight!

Thank you, Cynthia! We hope it opens up too. :) In the meantime, she is super excited about Capernwray.

I've enjoyed so much reading the posts here. Wow, I am awed by all of you -- all of the hard work you have put into raising and teaching your children, preparing them for this next chapter in their lives. Congratulations!

I've also learned a lot about other colleges in these posts, btw. It's been really helpful to me!

My son, Nicholas, just found out he got accepted to California State University at Sacramento and University of California at Davis! We almost didn't apply as the admissions people said to not apply and the applications said that your high school classes had to be from an accredited high school - and as a home school we are not accredited. :glare: But we decided at the last minute to apply and leave it in the Lord's hands and he got into both! :hurray:

He said no to Sac. State and yes to UC Davis. Now just to wait for news regarding scholarships.

Congratulations to all the other acceptances too!:hurray:

Gretchen in No. CA

Congratulations to all those who have received good news, condolences to those who have been disappointed, and patience to those who wait.

Still nothing from Navy but she's managed to dodge the TWEs that went out two weeks ago.

What is a TWE, Margaret?

Regards,

Kareni