Menu

If your child struggles with SOME of the CWP questions, do you move ahead?

Halcyon

Which problems and how many? Is it the challenging problems at the end of the section? Is it all of one type of problem? Is it just an occasional problem? The books weren't written with the expectation of 100% on every set of problems, but there is a difference in a kid that makes about 80% overall and a kid that misses most of the problems.

Primarily Take the Challenge, but occasionally (as in one out of every 8) on the regular section.

Personally, that would not bother me a bit (based on what others have said about the challenge problems), though I'd also walk through the solution to the missed problems, especially the regular ones.

Which problems and how many? Is it the challenging problems at the end of the section? Is it all of one type of problem? Is it just an occasional problem? The books weren't written with the expectation of 100% on every set of problems, but there is a difference in a kid that makes about 80% overall and a kid that misses most of the problems.

The ones that occasionally stump him are ones like this: Jim had $190 and Dawn had $60. After each of them received an equal amount of money from their father, Jim had twice as much money as Dawn. How much did their father give each of them?

He can generally muddle through the regular ones but occasionally on problems similar to the one above he will need guidance. He is getting much better at his bar diagrams, but he still stills help sometimes.

The following one he could do without help: Mark and Paul collected a total of 952 stickers. Mark collected three times as many stickers as Paul. Jason collected half as many stickers as Paul. How many stickers did each person collect?

I would keep moving. The point with CWP is that they *are* challenging. It's okay to work on some of the problems together, trying various strategies, coming up with solutions. It's also okay to use CWP "back" a level from your regular Singapore work.

Now, if the child is clearly "in over his head" and simply unable to comprehend the work, that's one thing. I don't think that's what you're describing. A child who can figure out most of the problems but struggles occasionally and grapples with the problems before coming up with a strategy and solution (with occasional coaching) is probably in exactly the right spot. :)

I would keep moving. The point with CWP is that they *are* challenging. It's okay to work on some of the problems together, trying various strategies, coming up with solutions. It's also okay to use CWP "back" a level from your regular Singapore work.

Now, if the child is clearly "in over his head" and simply unable to comprehend the work, that's one thing. I don't think that's what you're describing. A child who can figure out most of the problems but struggles occasionally and grapples with the problems before coming up with a strategy and solution (with occasional coaching) is probably in exactly the right spot. :)

:iagree:

I read somewhere that CWP books should be one number below the level you are in the textbook/workbook. i.e. If you are in 5B textbook, work the problems in CWP book 4.

:iagree:

Dd is re-working some 4B cwp & ip problems. She is beyond basic decimal computation in her daily lessons but needs to slow down and think through the decimal word problems in cwp & ip. She is not ready for the level 5 cwp/ip after trying a few already. (Not sure I am either. :)) It's ok to do cwp/ip 'behind' the level of daily work. Dd7 is doing level 2 cwp while doing 3a daily work. I don't expect Abi to progress to level 5 cwp/ip for months. And that is fine with me. We're adding HOE to come at these problems in a slightly different way.

You're doing great, Halcyon! :)

HTH! :)

Well considering I personally had trouble with a handful of CWP 2, I say keep going. This is how we did it - we finished 2a/2b, then I had her work through CWP 2 throughout the summer. It was definitely challenging! But now we are starting on 3a (not the CWP 3 yet) and boy oh boy, math is a BREEZE compared to those CWP 2!! I think it has given her a renewed sense of "math is easy" again, hehe.

How do most of you incorporate CWP into your work? Right now we are working through the Instructor's guide with the textbook and workbook, plus Intensive Practice (I didn't buy Extra Practice or tests). For now that's working really well for us. I was trying to decide if I should just throw in CWP 3 randomly? I'm also contemplating getting another copy of CWP 2 and letting her work through that a second time, to see if she learned how to better do those types of problems (especially because I had to work through a decent number of them with her).

Any thoughts for that also?

Thanks everyone. He finds the TB and WB very easy, the IP (for the most part) straightforward, and struggles on about 20% of the CWP questions (depending on the section, perhaps more). If I let him fly using just the TB and WB, he would finish 4th year math by January.

I think we'll continue to use the CWP4, but for the tough ones, we'll revisit next year.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone. He finds the TB and WB very easy, the IP (for the most part) straightforward, and struggles on about 20% of the CWP questions (depending on the section, perhaps more). If I let him fly using just the TB and WB, he would finish 4th year math by January.

I think we'll continue to use the CWP4, but for the tough ones, we'll revisit next year.

Thanks!

Sounds like CWP4 is perfect place for him then! :D It'd doable, but challenging.

Maybe you could do the regular problems, then come back to the challenging problems later?

The ones that occasionally stump him are ones like this: Jim had $190 and Dawn had $60. After each of them received an equal amount of money from their father, Jim had twice as much money as Dawn. How much did their father give each of them?

He can generally muddle through the regular ones but occasionally on problems similar to the one above he will need guidance. He is getting much better at his bar diagrams, but he still stills help sometimes.

There will be many more problems like these in levels 5 & 6 of Singapore. I wouldn't sweat it at this point.

Sounds like CWP4 is perfect place for him then! :D It'd doable, but challenging.

Maybe you could do the regular problems, then come back to the challenging problems later?

Perhaps. There are a few clustered together at the beginning of the CWP that are giving him trouble; as I look ahead, they seem to get easier. For certain of the problems that we're doing now, I literally have to walk him through the solutions. Granted, _I_ struggled with them too, so...... :tongue_smilie:

I think I will have him do the non-challenge ones, and maybe throw in some problems from CWP3 that he didn't get to last year (there's a review at the end that we didn't finish) just to encourage him.

Personally, I'd keep him doing the tough ones, but talk them through together. It's really *good* for kids to have math problems that are just *barely* within the range of what they can figure out. It's good for them to talk through problems with you, try something, discover it doesn't work, try something else, etc... Since he's only experiencing that with a few problems, I would *not* set them aside for next year. (I would do that if 40-50% of the problems were completely beyond him.)

There will be many more problems like these in levels 5 & 6 of Singapore. I wouldn't sweat it at this point.

Right, that's sorta my concern: I know they'll be more of this type of problem in the future, so I feel like maybe we should stay here til it "clicks". Or at least stay on this section of the CWP-maybe move ahead in the other books?

Personally, I'd keep him doing the tough ones, but talk them through together. It's really *good* for kids to have math problems that are just *barely* within the range of what they can figure out. It's good for them to talk through problems with you, try something, discover it doesn't work, try something else, etc... Since he's only experiencing that with a few problems, I would *not* set them aside for next year. (I would do that if 40-50% of the problems were completely beyond him.)

Hmmm. Thanks for your perspective. I revisited his work in Chapter 2 of the CWP4 just to see if I was mis-remembering what happened. This was by far the hardest section of the book for him thus far; sections afterwards were much more doable. Of 10 practice questions (not the challenge questions) he was able to do 5 with barely any help, 3 with help, and 2 he is working through a third time after me working me with him on them twice. Of the 10 challenge questions, he was able to do 3 on his own, 3 with my help and 4 stumped him-he could follow along while I did the work, but he couldn't replicate it the next day, or find his own way. (we're going to work through them again). So earlier in this thread I said he struggled with about 20% of the CWP4 questions. However, it seems that in this section he struggled with more than half of them.

What do you think? Keep on with CWP 4?

Edited by Halcyon

We're only on book 2, but I sit down with the girls and work through CWP and IP together. That is, we read through the tb, they do the wb problems on their own, and then we talk out the CWP and IP problems. Maybe someday I'll have them work on them individually, but right now they like to talk it out.