Menu

How does mom take a sick day?

I was running a high fever this weekend. I was feeling better earlier this morning, but now I want to crawl back in bed.

Dh helped with the children this weekend, but he can't afford to take time off. He's been really busy with work the last few months--and he's relying on me more than ever before to help him, which I want to do. But...for the last few months I've felt like I'm running on empty. Since resuming homeschooling I feel close to burn out. (I'm homeschooling five, including a child with special needs, plus a toddler.)

I'm not surprised that I got sick. I was out late Friday night in the cold with one of my children's activities and up early Saturday morning out in the cold with another activity for two other children. But I don't have the luxury to get sick.

I can hear the children starting to bounce off the walls. They really need a mom who is healthy and mentally alert. Instead, they've got me.

I was running a high fever this weekend. I was feeling better earlier this morning, but now I want to crawl back in bed.

Dh helped with the children this weekend, but he can't afford to take time off. He's been really busy with work the last few months--and he's relying on me more than ever before to help him, which I want to do. But...for the last few months I've felt like I'm running on empty. Since resuming homeschooling I feel close to burn out. (I'm homeschooling five, including a child with special needs, plus a toddler.)

I'm not surprised that I got sick. I was out late Friday night in the cold with one of my children's activities and up early Saturday morning out in the cold with another activity for two other children. But I don't have the luxury to get sick.

I can hear the children starting to bounce off the walls. They really need a mom who is healthy and mentally alert. Instead, they've got me.

When I get really sick, and absolutely need to take a day to recover, we have a movie day. Momma on the couch, and kiddos right there by me. It's not ideal, but it keeps them busy and safe when I'm not up to par.

When I get really sick, and absolutely need to take a day to recover, we have a movie day. Momma on the couch, and kiddos right there by me. It's not ideal, but it keeps them busy and safe when I'm not up to par.
:iagree:

We generally have a few educational movies checked out from the library so this is a good time to pop in something new. If I'm up to it, I will suggest that DC alternate something educational for something totally mind-numbing uneducational. If I'm too sick to care, my main goal is that the house is still standing when DH walks in the door and I don't care what DC do.

:grouphug: I'm right there with ya today. Last week the girls were sick, so I did lots of reading and talking to them and they did tiny bits of things. I had high hopes that today we would all be bursting with energy to start back a regular school routine ;) and then *I* couldn't get to sleep. At 3am I got up and watched a movie because I couldn't turn off my brain. Dh had a emergency phone call at 5:00, so my brain that had just quieted down was awakened. :glare: The girls came down and saw me looking like a nightmare...but the show must go on. I'm praying for strength (in spirit and in coffee). They are sweeties and are working diligently. Movies this afternoon while I try to rest a bit.

Thanks ladies! The thought of educational movies hadn't even crossed my mind.

I managed to pull off a few moments of some mildly educational activities this morning with the help of my ds 12, then I headed back to bed. While we were sitting there trying to do school I noticed some of my dc weren't looking great either and they also seemed kind of "out of it", so I sent them back to bed too.

The house didn't fall apart while I slept. Movies sound like the plan.

Thanks ladies! The thought of educational movies hadn't even crossed my mind.

I managed to pull off a few moments of some mildly educational activities this morning with the help of my ds 12, then I headed back to bed. While we were sitting there trying to do school I noticed some of my dc weren't looking great either and they also seemed kind of "out of it", so I sent them back to bed too.

The house didn't fall apart while I slept. Movies sound like the plan.

I don't even bother with the movies being educational when I'm sick. I want them entertained so I can sleep! No guilt because this doesn't happen often!

This is what we do, too. Last February I was horribly sick with the flu for a week. I hated to "waste" so much time and spend so much time watching tv when we normally watch one or two shows a week at the most. But unfortunately moms who stay at home don't get sick days. :(