Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blueridge

How do you pronounce *paleo*?

I'm relieved. That's what I had thought, but someone corrected me irl recently...so I sought out the professional opinions here. :)

I'm relieved. That's what I had thought, but someone corrected me irl recently...so I sought out the professional opinions here. :)

Wait, someone in real life corrected you saying pay-lee-oh with pa-LAY-oh? :confused:

What a doofus! :D

Pa-LAY-oh ntologists?

OTOH, I hate it when I think something is pronounced one way, and it is another... but I would never correct someone unless I was 100% positive, and even then...maybe not. It's pretty obnoxious. I would love to correct everyone I heard saying Libary... but I would only correct a child.

Wait, someone in real life corrected you saying pay-lee-oh with pa-LAY-oh? :confused:

What a doofus! :D

Pa-LAY-oh ntologists?

OTOH, I hate it when I think something is pronounced one way, and it is another... but I would never correct someone unless I was 100% positive, and even then...maybe not. It's pretty obnoxious. I would love to correct everyone I heard saying Libary... but I would only correct a child.

Prepare yourself...it was my mom (the expert in everything that exists). :blink::rolleyes: I agree about the doofus part. ;)

Prepare yourself...it was my mom (the expert in everything that exists). :blink::rolleyes: I agree about the doofus part. ;)

:smilielol5:

Ok, well, it makes sense then.

:lol: Is she even aware that it's the same term that's part of the word paleontology? I think sometimes people hear a word or part of a word in a new way a lot and it turns into something else in their mind.

But if she really thinks paleontology is pronounced puh-LAY-ontology...well, then my role as devil's advocate is negated :001_huh: :lol:

You can e-mail her my syllable division rules! :D

These, along with the knowledge that syllables ending in a vowel are long and ending in a consonant are short, would produce the proper pronunciation.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/syllable%20division%20charta.pdf

Excellent! I won't tell her about my secret hive goldmine of knowledge, though. :D She might want to join and participate...:leaving:

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Tweet
Pin