Menu

Please recommend phonics program for immigrant parents

crazyforlatin

I have a friend from a foreign country who wants to teach her daughter to read. Last year I recommended picking up any phonics book from the library or using Elizabeth's website, but recently she told me that if she has difficulty pronouncing the words correctly, she won't be able to teach it to her daughter. Her daughter is in ps, first grade, and is having some trouble learning to read. There is not enough time for the teacher to teach reading to the class and the school has asked parents to do the rest at home. The daughter is in school from 8 to 6 and both mother and daughter are tired by the time they get home. The phonics program would therefore have to be easy to implement.

I was thinking maybe a phonics program that has an accompanying CD would be the best route at this point.

Any recommendations of such a program that is also reasonably priced?

What about etc online? I would think anything online or a cd with pronunciation would work but I would also say they need to do it together so that mom can help point out errors when they are practicing reading together. Also getting audiobooks to listen to together while looking at the writen text would be another good option.

What about etc online? I would think anything online or a cd with pronunciation would work but I would also say they need to do it together so that mom can help point out errors when they are practicing reading together. Also getting audiobooks to listen to together while looking at the writen text would be another good option.

Thank you for the recommendation. However, I don't think she can afford ETC online. I think her budget is more like $20, maybe $30.

I'm going to suggest audiobooks with text. I should have thought of that. I did suggest last year for her to put on audiobooks for her daughter to listen, but that hasn't worked out at all. I did see those 1-cd audiobooks with accompanying picture books at the library. Thank you for this great idea!

She could also try Starfall.com as a supplement to any of the others listed. It's free and it's online. Starfall helped my children learn to read. It's very independant and fun.

My son has doing really well with Starfall.com. Better than other traditional methods and books -and he get his computer skills covered as well!

If she is in public school, is she receiving English as a Second Language Instruction? Even if she isn't, could the mom ask the school if the ESL teacher could provide some audio materials or something like ETC online?

The child is American-born and has perfect English, but attends an immersion program (20% English, 80% foreign language).

Someone did suggest that the mother pull her daughter out since the immersion language is also the home language and enroll her in a regular program, but I find that a drastic solution.

The child seems to have trouble blending, and when she can, she only does it for that particular word without being able to do it again somewhere else.

She might be able to use the CD from AAS to teach the phonograms, then use something like PP or OPG for the rest of the lessons.

For $15, I think it's really worth it. I use AAS, but never bought the CD. I'm going to let her know about this too. I like the idea of using this CD and a phonics program that she can find at the library. I'm trying to limit the amount she has to spend to teach reading.

Do you know if it has all the phonograms?

Edited by crazyforlatin

When you say the child is having difficulties learning to read, do you mean in the foreign language or just in English?

If it is in the home language/language of 80% of instruction, I would not start teaching the child to read in English at this point. I would make sure the foreign/home language reading is going well before starting the child on yet a different set of rules.

Would you mind sharing which is the student's home language? If it happens to be Spanish, it is such a a phonetic language which makes it is very easy to get a child reading using extremely simple phonics, i.e, m+a always sound the same ma, m+e always makes the sound me etc. Sometimes kids get used to guessing words because in many public schools they use the look at the picture then look at the first letter and guess the word strategy rather than a let's read the letters which make up the syllables in the word strategy. If this is the case you just have to get the student to stop guessing and start reading words in a systematic fashion. I am working with a student right now with this problem. After 2 months of weekly lessons she is doing much better.

If the difficulties only lie in reading English, I would definitely start with Starfall. It is very easy to use. Also, make sure that the school is not subscribed to any websites that the mom could be using with her child at home. My child's school has a subscription to the school version of Time4Learning to which all students have frees access. They have a Resources page with links to educational websites. I would also check out your library system website, ours has also a resources page.

When you say the child is having difficulties learning to read, do you mean in the foreign language or just in English?

If it is in the home language/language of 80% of instruction, I would not start teaching the child to read in English at this point. I would make sure the foreign/home language reading is going well before starting the child on yet a different set of rules.

Would you mind sharing which is the student's home language? If it happens to be Spanish, it is such a a phonetic language which makes it is very easy to get a child reading using extremely simple phonics, i.e, m+a always sound the same ma, m+e always makes the sound me etc. Sometimes kids get used to guessing words because in many public schools they use the look at the picture then look at the first letter and guess the word strategy rather than a let's read the letters which make up the syllables in the word strategy. If this is the case you just have to get the student to stop guessing and start reading words in a systematic fashion. I am working with a student right now with this problem. After 2 months of weekly lessons she is doing much better.

If the difficulties only lie in reading English, I would definitely start with Starfall. It is very easy to use. Also, make sure that the school is not subscribed to any websites that the mom could be using with her child at home. My child's school has a subscription to the school version of Time4Learning to which all students have frees access. They have a Resources page with links to educational websites. I would also check out your library system website, ours has also a resources page.

:iagree:

Start with blending and reading in the most phonetic language.

Don Potter has audio files that go along with Through the Phonics Barrier. That is what I would recommend, along with some Starfall. Use the $ to get a few Leapfrog movies. Talking Letter factory if letter sounds are not well learned, then Talking Word Factory and Code Word Caper.

Here is a link with all the files and documents for Through the Phonics Barrier:

http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/through_the_phonics_barrier.html

The home language is Chinese and the child loves writing characters at school, and Chinese is used about 80% of the time at school. I do know she has a lot of trouble pronouncing the Pinyin.

The mother seems to think there's some guessing involved and not true phonics.

I'm definitely going to share what you said and recommend Starfall.

:iagree:

Start with blending and reading in the most phonetic language.

Don Potter has audio files that go along with Through the Phonics Barrier. That is what I would recommend, along with some Starfall. Use the $ to get a few Leapfrog movies. Talking Letter factory if letter sounds are not well learned, then Talking Word Factory and Code Word Caper.

Here is a link with all the files and documents for Through the Phonics Barrier:

http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/through_the_phonics_barrier.html

I was hoping you would stop by to help out. I just listened to one file, and it's perfect! This is exactly what the mother and child need. Thank you!

I recommend Hooked on Phonics. It comes with CDs.

Thank you Wendy. I've heard of Hooked on Phonics, but never knew it had CDs.

Unlike all the subjects, I basically only used Alpha-Phonics with DD, but it's not a book that my friend would feel comfortable using. She borrowed Phonics Pathways and gave up after a few pages into it. She definitely needs a CD or audio file to give her some confidence.

It's great that there are many choices for non-native speakers. Thank you everyone for helping me gather this information for her.

Is there a chance the child is confusing Pinyin sounds with English phonics?

I know there could be confusion if it were taught at school while the kids are also trying to learn to read English, but I don't think ps first grade would do this. Our daughters attended a Chinese class together and I noticed that the child could not pronounce the words (eg. mu, ma) because she could not blend at all. The children (about the age of 5 to 6) that could read aloud the Pinyin were all reading English. However, my friend is really worried because the child is about to turn 7 soon.

So I think the problem is that while she can sound out individual letters, she cannot blend words in Pinyin or in English or even nonsense words; and apparently there are many words that the teacher tells her to just memorize, and it's really hard for her to do that.