Menu

When do you start worrying about pencil grip?

kristinannie

When do you start worrying about pencil grip?  

1. 1. When do you start worrying about pencil grip?

• As soon as the child shows an interest in writing
    • Pre-K
    • Kindergarten
    • Elementary
    • Never, was I supposed to worry about this?
    • Obligatory Other

I am wondering about this. I didn't stress this with DS when he started writing and it was extremely difficult to convince him to hold his pencil correctly (we are talking MONTHS). DD3 is loving tracing letters right now. Should I try to get her to hold it correctly? She will be 4 in two weeks.

I corrected my middle son's grip when he was coloring at age 3. He has a very nice grip now, and it was easy to correct him so young.

It's one thing if they have the fist grip that they grow out of (that just means their fine motor skills aren't ready for writing yet, I think), but I think helping them get a good grip early on is beneficial. I didn't do that with my oldest, and we still have the thumb wrap (though we're making slow progress on that!).

My 2 year old likes to draw and write the letter 'T'. He naturally has a good grip, both left and right, though I am 99.9% sure he'll end up a lefty. If he didn't have a good grip, I wouldn't worry about it quite yet, because he's not even 2.5 yet. But in the 3-4 range, I think they're often ready to start messing with it. Do some pre-writing activities and practice holding it correctly. Give them some small bits of crayon or chalk to write with. My dry erase crayons seem to break easily, but I make DS1 use the tip to write on the white board. :D

Most things I think you can chill out. And I don't think it's something to worry about precisely, but this is a place where I think it's much better to correct earlier than later. I encountered too many middle schoolers with improper grips to feel otherwise.

I do try to guide them to something that's roughly "correct" right from the get go, as soon as they are interested in picking up a pencil/crayon and scribbling. But I wouldn't actually be worried until they are writing words. My son took a long time and many reminders before he held his pencil properly, but my elder daughter did it with minimal prompting and my younger daughter just picked it up on her own.

Never. I personally have a horrible pencil grip. Always have. My grandmother despaired at trying to correct it. However, I don't get fatigued when writing and my handwriting is very good, so apparently it works for me.

That said, I did work a bit with each of my three on their pencil grip when they started writing, but I didn't push it if they wanted to do something a bit odd.

DC7 has a bit of thumb wrap grip and I've been thinking about buying a pencil grip.

PP mentioned some here. Are any more effective than others? Do I just have to try out several until we find one that helps?

Well, I tried one other brand (from Japan) before the Stetro and I found the Stetro to be more effective. Also, I don't exactly know how to do this, but apparently, the Stetro can also be used by left-handers. I recently saw the Stetro being recommended by Spell To Write and Read trainers.