Menu

Cle la = r&s?

Mommy22alyns

Would you consider CLE LA to be as good as R&S? Is the spelling and handwriting included in CLE LA sufficient?

I have Sylvia using CLE LA right now, but I use R&S with Rebecca. I'm already nosing around at the CLE site looking at things for next year. The last thing I want to do is shortchange Sylvia because she's the youngest. So I'm debating CLE LA + WWE 2 vs. R&S 2/WWE 2/ARFH/R&S spelling or Spelling Power. One thing to note is that I already own R&S 2, but CLE LA isn't very expensive anyway.

Help?

CLE LA includes grammar, spelling, and penmanship. It does not include a great deal of writing instruction, not like R&S, anyway. They sell a little book to cover that. CLE Reading adds reading instruction, comprehension and vocabulary. For mine, it was skipping around too much.

R&S Grammar and Writing covers just that--grammar and writing. It is excellent. To have spelling, reading, and penmanship, you would need to purchase those pieces.

Either is as good as the other, though R&S noses out with writing instruction. Both annoyed mine because of the overly religious nature of every page, story, explanation and practice exercise. I did try (and made through chap 6) a secular version workbook of R&S 5 oral and written drills but it is just too large a project to keep up with.

Are you talking R & S English vs. CLE English? R & S doesn't have spelling at all but does have more writing than CLE. I think they are very comparable and my dd loves CLE and only tolerates R & S (we've done both).

Yes. In either case, we'd be using WWE for writing instruction.

Yes, CLE includes grammar, spelling and penmanship. Writing is included but for some families they feel their child needs more. It just depends. There are others that feel the writing instruction in the Light Units is sufficient and is just fine. It just depends on which side of the fence you are on that. I know CLE is working on a separate writing program. What it will be like or what will be in it, honestly I don't know.

Anyways as far as grammar. Both are comparable. They use different ways to teach content but you get the same excellent education in grammar if you use either one.

Rod and Staff ( I've used it) is great for kids that do well learning with a mastery type curriculum. It focuses on one concept at a time. CLE is spiral just like its math program. So if you have a child that needs extra practice then CLE would be the one to go with. If CLE works for your child, be rest assured they will receive great grammar instruction :>)

I switched from R&S to CLE LA at the beginning of this year and all three of my dc rejected it. If you were comparing straight grammar to grammar coverage I think they are comparable. I feel R&S is more thorough in it's instruction and practice though. My older two dc voiced the same opinion as the main reason they didn't want to use CLE.

R&S is mastery based and CLE LA is spiral so that needs to be taken into account when choosing. All of my dc preferred the mastery approach. They felt working with the spiral approach left them without truly cementing a concept before it moved on. This is of coarse just a preference of learning style.

We are back with R&S now and will not be switching again. I'm glad I tried CLE out though so that I could determine for myself. It was well worth the cost of one light unit to confirm my decision that R&S works best for us.

I switched from R&S to CLE LA at the beginning of this year and all three of my dc rejected it. If you were comparing straight grammar to grammar coverage I think they are comparable. I feel R&S is more thorough in it's instruction and practice though. My older two dc voiced the same opinion as the main reason they didn't want to use CLE.

R&S is mastery based and CLE LA is spiral so that needs to be taken into account when choosing. All of my dc preferred the mastery approach. They felt working with the spiral approach left them without truly cementing a concept before it moved on. This is of coarse just a preference of learning style.

We are back with R&S now and will not be switching again. I'm glad I tried CLE out though so that I could determine for myself. It was well worth the cost of one light unit to confirm my decision that R&S works best for us.

Thanks for this review. I'm leanong toward R&S. Why did you switch? I know nothings perfect and I need to pick something!

Yes, CLE includes grammar, spelling and penmanship. Writing is included but for some families they feel their child needs more. It just depends. There are others that feel the writing instruction in the Light Units is sufficient and is just fine. It just depends on which side of the fence you are on that. I know CLE is working on a separate writing program. What it will be like or what will be in it, honestly I don't know.

Anyways as far as grammar. Both are comparable. They use different ways to teach content but you get the same excellent education in grammar if you use either one.

Rod and Staff ( I've used it) is great for kids that do well learning with a mastery type curriculum. It focuses on one concept at a time. CLE is spiral just like its math program. So if you have a child that needs extra practice then CLE would be the one to go with. If CLE works for your child, be rest assured they will receive great grammar instruction :>)

Thanks, this is really helpful! I'm still undecided.

Thanks for this review. I'm leanong toward R&S. Why did you switch? I know nothings perfect and I need to pick something!

I switched from R&S to CLE LA because I kept hearing how great it was and that it was just as thorough. My older two were on the verge of starting a new year with lots of time intensive programs. Writing the sentences out in R&S is time consuming so they requested we look into a workbook based program for them to use. I'd considered at that point just using the workpages for R&S but I was curious about CLE so decided to try it.

Once they decided they didn't like CLE I adjusted the way we use R&S in order to make it less time consuming. I was concerned it wasn't going to be as effective but we've been having good retention and 95% pass rate on tests. I do the quick oral review of previous concepts and then I do the oral exercises with them after they've read the lesson on their own. If there is a workpage for the lesson they do it, if there isn't a workpage then they do the odd written exercises.

We've used both. For us, spiral beats mastery. Workbook beats copying or doing exercises orally ( they retained zippo). I like having grammar, spelling, penmanship and dictionary skills, etc. in one place. CLE does include some writing and copywork. Whether it is " enough" probably varies from child to child. I think it's fine for my 2nd grader. My 5th grader does written narrations on top of CLE.

Would you consider CLE LA to be as good as R&S? Is the spelling and handwriting included in CLE LA sufficient?

I have Sylvia using CLE LA right now, but I use R&S with Rebecca. I'm already nosing around at the CLE site looking at things for next year. The last thing I want to do is shortchange Sylvia because she's the youngest. So I'm debating CLE LA + WWE 2 vs. R&S 2/WWE 2/ARFH/R&S spelling or Spelling Power. One thing to note is that I already own R&S 2, but CLE LA isn't very expensive anyway.

Help?

I reviewed both of the programs extensively last year when I was looking for a LA program. In my opinion they cover much of the material but at a different pace. As mentioned earlier one is spiral one is mastery. Consider which works best for you. My son is movtivated when he completes a workbook. The spelling in CLE is a little strange to me because I reflect on my years in school and how my spelling programs worked. (Get your new words on Monday and spelling test on Friday). I won't say if that method was bad. I will say that in the CLE 100 level which is what we are using my son is learning to spell by sound and appyling phonics/spelling rules. For example you double consonants l, f s, z at the end of a short vowel word. This is working well for my son. For writing I think you can create writing opportunities for more writing. Like any other currilculum you can modify it for your child. Good luck. :grouphug: