Menu

Brand New

Guest CurryPuffin

Guest CurryPuffin

Hi everyone,

I have been reading this board for a few days and am thankful for all the information. Some background: 3 kids, ds, 8, ds, almost 5, and dd, 2. We began with an unschooling mindset which worked well for a couple of years. More recently, we have been craving more structure. I knew a little bit about classical education. So I read TWTM and decided to implement it for my 3rd grader, and maybe start something with the preschooler.

I have all the materials, books, etc. and have plotted out a rough schedule. We start tomorrow, come he'll or high water! Most of our materials are those recommended in TWTM.

My question is: do you do it all? 40-60 minutes per day of math? 2 science experiments per week? (We are starting with chemistry.) Daily Latin? Daily memory work? 3 hours per week of history?

I already know this is going to be a huge change in our daily life. I just need to know HOW huge. :lol:

I recommend you ease into it:) We started out unschooling as well, then turned to relax schooling, and now we are somewhere between relax and classical:) My oldest is a first grader, and then I have a Ker and a three year old. We started this year off just by doing math and reading. Then I added in copy work. Then science, and this week we are starting history and geography. We are still finding our groove. I just can't imagine going from unschooling to complete classical education structure, but that's just me:)

As for science, I don't remember wtm recommended two science experiments a week. We do one once a week or every other week. Thus far I've been doing my own science curriculum, but am about to implement 'building foundations of scientific understanding.'

For us, math lasts about 20 minutes, or at least would if ds stayed on track:) I also don't do 3 hrs a week on history. I spend two -three days on history and science, depending on how interested he is. The total probably comes to about 1.5-2hrs a week on each. HTH some:)

Hi! I am new to the whole process as well. I guess you could say that we eased into because I didn't have a choice. All the curriculum has come in at different times so I started with what I had. It was nice to become more familiar with certain books before adding a new one to the mix! Take it slow, there's no rush!

I don't get to science experiments every week...or sometimes even every month but my daughter is more of a reader and prefers learning that way. As for math, we only spend 40 minutes doing it if dd is having a particularly unfocused day. I think there is an audio on the peace hill press website where swb discusses what it's like homeschooling real kids. I think for most of us It's not always as structured as it sounds in the book.

I think you would be wise to do just math and reading for a few weeks and then add in another subject. Gradually add in other subjects until you are going full tilt. If you go at full speed right off the bat, you risk burn out for you and your child.

Also, my 3rd graders usually spend about 30 min. on math. We very rarely go over that.

Oh, and welcome to the boards! :001_smile:

Welcome! I second the idea to ease into it. The first few months of homeschooling are tough!! If you purposely start small and ramp up slowly but surely, you'll have more done at year-end than if you start everything all at once, then a month later dump half because you're feeling overwhelmed.

I would aim for one science experiment a week--much more doable. This gives you time to go more in-depth about whatever you are doing as well. Another hint is to plan your experiments out for the entire semester now and buy all of your supplies, bagging them in plastic bags for each week. This is the only way science gets done around here!

My question is: do you do it all? 40-60 minutes per day of math? 2 science experiments per week? (We are starting with chemistry.) Daily Latin? Daily memory work? 3 hours per week of history?

We do, but at your kids' ages, NO WAY. I definitely agree with the easing in. When we started we had play based "lessons" (activities set aside for school time) and one subject curriculum. Gradually we switched over to using curriculum half the time and learning through play the other half the time, alternating subjects. If I had it to do over again I'd do it exactly the same - lots of informal, slowly adding in the rigorous demands of the WTM.

Hi and welcome!

You've had some good advice already, so I won't repeat. A couple of suggestions to start you off: I do read-alouds as my kids eat, either at breakfast or over lunch.

Also, for your younger ones there are some great and fun printables out there. Confessionsofahomeschooler.blogspot.com, 1+1+1+1, 2teachingmommies.blogspot.com, creativelearning.blogspot.com, and weefolkart.com all offer some terrific things.

With my 4 year old, I am currently doing Confessions of a Homeschooler's preschool letter of the week printables - this is one of the few I actually paid for and I think the download was $10 (I know she has one for beginning readers as well) - and the free fall curriculum from Wee Folk Art. We are having a blast and it is very inexpensive. He also sits in on any science experiments, etc. that my 10 year old is doing.

Anyway, have fun, don't burn yourselves out, and I'm sure you'll love homeschooling!

Guest CurryPuffin

Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom and kind encouragement. Easing into things sounds like a very good idea. Joysworld, WTM recommends 2 science experiments per week for 3rd grade, at least while using Atoms and Molecules.