Menu

IKEA Kitchen cabinets?

Do any of you have IKEA kitchen cabinets in your home? I have had so-so luck with IKEA, some great stuff, some really crummy quality.

I'm wondering how their kitchen cabinets (wood veneer I guess, not the plasticy type exterior) and countertops hold up over a few years of daily family use from people who cook every single day. And even better if your kids slam your cabinets closed roughly and how they are holding up with that. Because we are still trying to break them of that particular habit here.

Opinions?

I have never bought anything from Ikea, but there have been threads here before about kitchen cabinets, and people have stated that either they had them and they didn't hold up, or friends had them and they didn't hold up. I can't remember which one.

As someone who just had a kitchen remodel, I'd recommend waiting until you could get good quality cabinets.

We renovated and put in Ikea cabinets and counter-tops a little more than 2.5 years ago. I've been very, very happy with everything. I don't think my kids are particularly rough-and-tumble, but we do use our kitchen throughout the day, every day. I have no complaints.

As to door-slamming, the hinges and drawers are made such that you *can't* slam them (if installed properly). You can try, but the doors will slow down and close themselves more gently. It's great. :)

n688000877_1529276_8549.jpg

I have an IKEA kitchen and I really love it. It's only about 3 years old now, but I had 3 kids under 4 so it's been a pretty hectic 3 years in terms of hanging off doors, hitting things with sticks, spilling food and water, slamming drawers, etc. And it's held up perfectly.

We did have it professionally installed, and our contractor originally refused to do it, because he didn't trust the quality. He was a family friend doing us a favor in his off-season working at much less than his usual rate and he was a very high end contractor used to working with high end cabinets. But we begged and he agreed... and by the end he said he had been planning a kitchen reno at his summer house and now he was certain he was going to put in an IKEA kitchen there! So that was a huge vote of confidence. He said there were details that he only sees on very high end lines, and were much better quality than Home Depot (which everyone says is comparable price, but I found HD more expensive... maybe just the styles I liked).

The absolute nicest thing about it is how all the Ikea organizational products fit so perfectly in them... my kitchen (unlike the rest of my house) is SO ORGANIZED.

We used appliances from a local appliance store and counters from Home Depot, fwiw. I'm sure theirs are good, but there were very specific things that I wanted.

(I just copied and pasted this from another thread here about them... it still stands :D )

I love my partial Ikea kitchen, we could only afford to do half of it, so we renovated the non-functional part. The part that is Ikea is so awesome. The cabinets can't be slammed, they close slowly. I love our huge pull out pantry. I would recommend Ikea as the prices are fabulous, the construction is good and the ease of installation is great. Added bonus, as I said we couldn't afford to do all of our kitchen at once but when we are ready we will have no problem matching our cabinets.

That reminds me -- a friend has several rental properties' date=' and she was one of the ones who encouraged me to go with Ikea in the first place. Some of her tenants have been so hard on her properties, and the Ikea kitchens were easy to install and held up well.

were much better quality than Home Depot (which everyone says is comparable price, but I found HD more expensive... maybe just the styles I liked).

That was our experience too. Ikea was cheaper than Home Depot (styles we looked at anyway), but better quality.

We used appliances from a local appliance store and counters from Home Depot, fwiw. I'm sure theirs are good, but there were very specific things that I wanted.

We ordered appliances from several different places to get *exactly* what I wanted. I don't know much about the Ikea ones. We did go with an Ikea counter. We'd wanted butcher block since we moved into this house and the others we'd looked at were prohibitively expensive. I do think they were better quality than the Ikea one *but* we didn't need the absolute best possible quality ;) -- and the Ikea one was absolutely good *enough* while coming in well under budget.

Oh, and to the OP, our old cabinets were a mismatch from 1949 and 1990. I was so delighted to see them go! :)

We have ikea cabinets. we've had them 5.5 years now. We have 5 children and I cook a lot. All this to say, they have been USED! They've held up great! All the hinges are still in perfect condition. Nothing coming apart, sagging, etc. They look great still as well. We got the stained wood of some kind. It has knots in it. They have a few small dents here and there, but nothing that you can notice unless you get up close.

Make sure you go to the store and see them before you buy, though. The ones we thought we wanted in the catalog didn't look as nice in person. That was why we ended up with the wood.

I really love them. We get lots of compliments on our kitchen. I would choose them again in a heartbeat.

We renovated and put in Ikea cabinets and counter-tops a little more than 2.5 years ago. I've been very, very happy with everything. I don't think my kids are particularly rough-and-tumble, but we do use our kitchen throughout the day, every day. I have no complaints.

As to door-slamming, the hinges and drawers are made such that you *can't* slam them (if installed properly). You can try, but the doors will slow down and close themselves more gently. It's great. :)

very pretty!

Hey! I have the same cabinets and sink! (we went with the morgue sprayer faucet and invisible pulls, though)

We've had ours for 4 years and I like them very much. They've held up really well. No complaints at all.

Hey! I have the same cabinets and sink! (we went with the morgue sprayer faucet and invisible pulls, though)

We've had ours for 4 years and I like them very much. They've held up really well. No complaints at all.

Yeah, our faucet and pulls are not from Ikea. (If you look closely, you can see the green ones are sparrows...) :)

I think the big white farmhouse sink has been discontinued. We had a pipe burst / mold remediation a year ago and they had to rip out some of the cabinets to do repairs. I was *terrified* they would damage my sink and I wouldn't be able to replace it. I love my sink! Luckily, everything survived (except the rear interior wall of one cabinet, because they had to saw into it), and nothing seems the worse for wear even after being ripped out and re-installed.

• 7 months later...

We put Ikea cabinets in our basement apartment in our old house. My mom picked out the style (the apart. was built for her and my dad) and they turned out quite nice. That was in 2004 and after my parents moved out my nephew and his wife lived there for a year. They are still in very good shape. In fact, they were a bit nicer than my cabinets! I would definitely consider getting them again if I had people interested in helping me put them together. THAT is lot of work, but fortunately, my dad was very willing to do most of that job.

I have never bought anything from Ikea, but there have been threads here before about kitchen cabinets, and people have stated that either they had them and they didn't hold up, or friends had them and they didn't hold up. I can't remember which one.

As someone who just had a kitchen remodel, I'd recommend waiting until you could get good quality cabinets.

Where do you get good quality cabinets without going custom? The more I read reviews, the more I'm afraid to buy anything!

Another person totally happy with my Ikea cabinets. They look great, they're very functional, and we're very rough on them but they're holding up well. What I read when I was researching them is that of the prefab cabinets you can buy, they are some of the most durable.

When we did them, the contractor said they were a wise choice because they're easy to change - if we get tired of the look, we can swap the doors or if we don't like that one is a drawer, we can swap it for a cabinet. Ikea sometimes discontinues finishes and so forth, but keeps their cabinets interchangeable and the basic set up the same.