Menu

If you use TOG, do you still need to use a separate reading program like CLE reading?

JadeOrchidSong

Title says it all.

I am thinking of using TOG down the road after we are done with SOTW for the first round. Since ds is turning 9, I am thinking of using CLE 4 reading program. However, if TOG addresses literary terms and genres that a reading program like CLE does, then I will not do CLE now and rather wait two more years to start when we do TOG. TOG users, please let me know your opinions.

Thanks!

I've only been using TOG for a few months with 6th grade boys (using mostly upper grammar, some dialectic reading choices), but from what I can see on the schedule for dialectic and rhetoric levels, TOG seems to be very thorough for literature. I highly doubt that you will need to supplement it. However, it does look like the bulk of literary terms, etc, are mostly covered in the rhetoric level, but I only have 1 unit to look at (ie, I may not be right on that!). I'm ancy to get going on literary terms also with my boys, but I'm trying to practice patience. Not sure they would really "get" any of it right now anyway. I look at the rhetoric level and get all excited about how smart my boys are going to be, and then I see them bang their heads into the wall for entertainment, and I have to bring myself back to reality...LOL! We may never make it out of dialectic level! :lol::tongue_smilie:

Sorry I couldn't give you more info, but TOG is known to be very thorough and rigorous for literature, history and worldview, so you shouldn't have to worry!

Holly

Thank you, Holly, for your response. It just confirms my feeling about TOG. If I don't get to reading program now, I have nothing to worry about if I plan to use TOG in a couple years. My boys are avid readers. My ds8.8 said after we came back from church, "I will just make a mug of tea and read." He has been reading since then.

I was hesitant to answer because we have only been with TOG for a month, but we love it! For UG and above I would not use a separate reading program. My ds10 is reading TONS with TOG, and there is ample opportunity for him to do comprehension exercises, dictations, and writing, springing from what he has read. We are covering wonderful literature, and this week we begin our poetry unit.

I have been using TOG for nine years. I do not use a separate reading program. I have never used CLE but I have looked at samples. TOG has a lot of reading and good selections but it doesn't have as much work as CLE at the lower levels, even dialectic. A student will learn about similar literary themes, devices, etc. but it is from one worksheet a week.

I was hesitant to answer because we have only been with TOG for a month, but we love it! For UG and above I would not use a separate reading program. My ds10 is reading TONS with TOG, and there is ample opportunity for him to do comprehension exercises, dictations, and writing, springing from what he has read. We are covering wonderful literature, and this week we begin our poetry unit.

My boys are similar age to yours. What do you buy and do you use the library heavily or not much?

Also I saw that you do French with both kids. Do you use the same level and teach both children the same time? I really feel challenged when using two levels of everything. I want to be able to combine, such as foreign languages and English writing (with IEW). Thanks!

My boys are similar age to yours. What do you buy and do you use the library heavily or not much?

Also I saw that you do French with both kids. Do you use the same level and teach both children the same time? I really feel challenged when using two levels of everything. I want to be able to combine, such as foreign languages and English writing (with IEW). Thanks!

I don't know if you have Writing Aids, but it is turning out to be a wonderful tool for writing. I was hesitant at first; in fact, I bought another writing program to go along with it, but I am already seeing that Writing Aids is really all I need for writing. I may supplement with some simple writing programs that teach varying sentence structures, etc, but other than that, I think WA is what we'll be using for the long haul!

I saw you asked about the library. I use the library a lot. We live near Lexington, KY, so the library is ok, but not awesome. However, I have still found most of the books on the main list, and if not, I use the alternate list. I have bought some books that I couldn't find but really wanted. Overall, I have been extremely pleased with everything using TOG!

Holly