Menu

"Vocabulicious" kids books (my favs.. yours?)

Along the lines of sneaking spinach into the muffin... I love kids books with compelling stories and a rich vocabulary.

After reading Scranimals (Jack Prelutsky and Peter Sis) for the 100th or so time, my 3.5 year old asked why sitting SUFFICES for the potatoad. (It *does* sink in!).

I'm ready to add to our collection. Here are our top "vocabulicious" books - please share yours!

Raggedy Ann Stories (Johnny Gruelle)

Able's Island and Dominic (William Steig)

Stuart Little (E.B. White)

Have a great day! And thank you for sharing.

Cheers,

Caitlin

The Phantom Tollbooth

We read this in 10th grade and did a long vocab & etymology unit based on it.

It was quite a reach for him, but DS7 was bored this summer and couldn't find any new books to read, so we handed him The Phantom Tollbooth. He LOVED it. I think he missed a lot of the subtler stuff, but he loved the story.

We were treated to about two weeks of him asking us "What does ______ mean?" about every five minutes, though. ;)

I absolutely love reading Beatrix Potter out loud! The vocabulary is pure magic. I could almost want to have another child just to watch his face when I read the Tailor of Gloucester to him for the first time. Such awesome words!

:iagree:

One of my favorite memories is of my oldest ds at 4yo using the word "presently" in his daily language, correctly in context and all. So cute! That and, "I implore you to exert yourself!" has been used frequently in the pre-K years...during imaginative play.

AA Milne is great for little ones too. I love Peter Dennis on audio!

The amblesideonline lists are the first place I go to search for a good meaty title.

:iagree:This is my top pick. Love the language in this book.

Also, A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket is fun for vocabulary because he introduces words and defines them as well.

What age-range would enjoy this as a read aloud? (in your opinion/experience, of course)

What age-range would enjoy this as a read aloud? (in your opinion/experience, of course)

I think Wind in the Willows is one of those books that needs to be revisited from time to time. Young children, about 5-8 years old, would enjoy the story but much of the imagery would be lost on them. Older children, 9-12 years old, would also enjoy the story and would probably be able to understand the vocabulary and the theme of friendship more. Older than that, you might find some balking at a "children's" book, but honestly I think it would be an excellent read for a high schooler who is interested in learning how to write. Even at 52 I find the book an enjoyable read.:D

I think Wind in the Willows is one of those books that needs to be revisited from time to time. Young children, about 5-8 years old, would enjoy the story but much of the imagery would be lost on them. Older children, 9-12 years old, would also enjoy the story and would probably be able to understand the vocabulary and the theme of friendship more. Older than that, you might find some balking at a "children's" book, but honestly I think it would be an excellent read for a high schooler who is interested in learning how to write. Even at 52 I find the book an enjoyable read.:D

I totally 100% agree with this. W in the W is one of my all-time favorite read-alouds.

Cat

Re: Lemony Snicket books. My sons listened to these audiobooks when they were around late elementary ages. The ones narrated by Tim Curry are excellent!