Menu

s/o how much of his/her work does your 2nd grader read?

justLisa

The writing thread got me curious. I think I have a tendency to have him read as much as possible. He is definitely capable of reading everything in his day, but then there is NO time for free reading. He just does not want hours worth of reading and I can understand that. I am reading the SOTW 1, which man we seem to be stuck on. They like it but maybe for now I need to read it like a book and not have "work" involved. We also want to incorporate more geography and our state history because they are interested, but there is little time for that. This is a tangent.....anyways.....

So how much do you read together/have your child read?

In a day my 2nd grader will usually read:

1 chapter of a fiction lit. book to me

1 chapter of a fiction lit. book to himself

a few pages of a living science book to me

a few pages of a living history book to me

sometimes 2 pages of our Usborne history encyclopedia or the pages from History Pockets that are to be read

I read to him:

1 chapter of a history related chapter book

1 chapter of a fiction lit. book

sometimes SOTW

My dd is in second grade. She is capable of reading pretty much anything, however, I still read almost all of her school related books to her. She'll sometimes read supplemental history or science books to herself, but I read everything else. She reads plenty on her own for fun and she loves the interaction during school time.

We started out with me reading Bible and history, and him reading out loud science. He also would read a couple chapters of a good book for literature, and then anything in the book basket from the library.

Recently, I made history and science a little more independent. So now he reads SOTW himself, and I just ask him the narration questions and write down his narration when he's done. Sometimes I'll do this the next day. I also have him reading science to himself and telling me 3 things he learned.

My son loves to read though, and he'd prefer to read things himself rather than me read to him. :tongue_smilie:

Math-both children take turns reading aloud the directions.

Spelling-both children take turns reading the spelling words and any additional poetry selections. Most weeks they take dictation of short sentences using their spelling words.

Formal reading-Selections alternate from Word Mastery and Webster's (beginning second grade, so today one child is reviewing spellings for long o, another is working on adding ing and er.)

Reading lesson-three days a week they read a selection from McGuffey or another reader.

Grammar-they read the sentences that we are diagramming taking turns.

What I don't have them read:

SOTW, Rocks and Minerals, or any of their fun books, which they can read or look at or ask me to read to them. Only one will voluntarily try out his own books.

Right now I'm focused on decoding more than fluency.

I have an average reader. She reads one lesson out of R&S 2 reader and math word problems. In R&S grammar, I read the directions and she reads all the work. We also do MCP Plaid Phonics which has short poems and stories and questions for her to read and answer.

I read all history and science. if I were doing SOTW, I would read it aloud.

DD7 is a struggling reader. I have her read our phonics program, Dancing Bears, to me (two pages a day....could be lists of words on a page, some sentences, or a short story).

I also have her read a few chapters of an easy reader to me. Or one or two Step Into Reading Books (level 1 or 2).

She reads any sentences that she has to copy before she copies them. And she reads two pages of Explode the Code.

I do SOTW, any instructions for math or other subjects, Bible lessons, and Science.

I have a strong reader. On her own, she reads her Bible lesson, her literature selection(s) for the week (a mix of Sonlight, Veritas Press, and TOG), and any supplementary science books. She reads aloud to me 2-3 per week from a higher level R&S reader. She has free reading time before bed and on the weekends.

I read science, history, worldview, art/music, etc.

Ds7 is coming along with his reading, but I wouldn't turn him loose with a chapter book. He reads his instuctions and papers to himself. He reads at least one picture book outloud to me (a longer book with harder words) each week. He reads books to himself most days (longer easy readers). By the end of the year the goal is to have him read a chapter a day for a reading. He may read one or two shorter novels for history. He isn't quite there yet.

With my second grader, I read the Bible, SOTW, and usually a chapter from a literature book, to him. He reads his science assignment to himself, and then answers questions orally. I usually have him read a chapter from a literature book or a history book on his reading level. He reads his grammar lessons from R&S, but I go over the directions with him for the written part of the assignment to avoid any confusion. He writes out his answers. My ds prefers that I read everything to him, but I am trying wean him off of that.