Menu

German Folksongs (cross post)

Storm Bay

Does anyone know of any good recordings of German folksongs for kids? Ds is studying German & we've added singing to our school day, so I'd like to add those, too. Ideally I'd like something I can easily get from in the States (US) or if there are free downloads of recordings that are now public domain, that would be helpful, too.

I have a ton of German childrens' CDs, but I got them all in Germany...

I did a search on Amazon.com, and this CD (as well as some others) came up. I have no idea of the quality of the recording, but the songs on this CD include many of the traditional children's songs.

If you're willing to order from Amazon.de, check out anything by Rolf Zukowski - his are mostly not the traditional songs, but also very good.

Does this play on an American CD player?

While DVDs have "regions", CDs will play in any player.

DVDs should too (although they don't) - unlike VHS tapes, DVDs should play anywhere. When the system switched, they actually added software codes to make the DVDs incompatible across regions. Some people have hacked their players to skip reading the "region" code at the beginning, then they play just fine - the actual movie is not encoded differently. I just bought a multi-region player - they're not that pricey. :tongue_smilie:

But... CDs are not a problem. :)

While DVDs have "regions", CDs will play in any player.

DVDs should too (although they don't) - unlike VHS tapes, DVDs should play anywhere. When the system switched, they actually added software codes to make the DVDs incompatible across regions. Some people have hacked their players to skip reading the "region" code at the beginning, then they play just fine - the actual movie is not encoded differently. I just bought a multi-region player - they're not that pricey. :tongue_smilie:

But... CDs are not a problem. :)

What make & model is your mulit-region DVD player? Our DVD player is on it's way out, so well be looking for a new one soon. One other question--does that region code affect playing DVDs on computers?

What make & model is your mulit-region DVD player? Our DVD player is on it's way out, so well be looking for a new one soon. One other question--does that region code affect playing DVDs on computers?

We got a DVD/VHS combo - the DVD player is mutli-region, but the VHS only plays US tapes. But our VHS player died, and this meant we didn't have to buy two things or fit them under the TV. :)

The make is a JVC - the only thing that looks like it might be the model number is HR-XVC11 on the front. It's a few years old, and I found it just by googling "multi-region DVD player". I'm pretty sure it's just a US DVD player that's been retrofitted - like I said, it's not hard to do, as the codes to make them not work are actually added in to the DVDs. :glare:

Yes, the region codes affect computers, as well. If your computer is set to region 1, it will only play region 1 disks. It is possible to change the setting, but you are limited to five changes, and then the machine locks.

But there is a software fix to this. The video software VLC will play any region code on your region 1 computer. VLC is freeware and there are both Mac and PC versions. We have been using the Mac version for several years. Do a search on "VLC" and you will find a download page. It is also available through the Apple website.

If you load VLC on your computer, disable your normal video-playing software as the default. Otherwise, when you insert a disk, the computer will start up your normal software and tell you the disk can not be played and ask if you want to change region settings. If you get this pop-up window, click cancel and close out of the program. Then open VLC and open the disk from with VLC.

Be sure your kids understand which program to use when watching non-region 1 disks, so that they do not inadvertently change region settings.

Of course, you can make VLC the default, but I find I like the Mac DVD program better, so I use it for region 1 DVDs.

I have found that VLC works pretty well. The first time it reads a new disk, it seems to take a while for it to override the region code, after that it will read the disk more quickly. So be patient when watching a disk for the first time.

The make is a JVC - the only thing that looks like it might be the model number is HR-XVC11 on the front. It's a few years old, and I found it just by googling "multi-region DVD player". I'm pretty sure it's just a US DVD player that's been retrofitted - like I said, it's not hard to do, as the codes to make them not work are actually added in to the DVDs. :glare:

Yes, the region codes affect computers, as well. If your computer is set to region 1, it will only play region 1 disks. It is possible to change the setting, but you are limited to five changes, and then the machine locks.

But there is a software fix to this. The video software VLC will play any region code on your region 1 computer. VLC is freeware and there are both Mac and PC versions. We have been using the Mac version for several years. Do a search on "VLC" and you will find a download page. It is also available through the Apple website.

Thanks for all of this information!