Menu

Do you tip movers?

We have movers coming in a few hours and I am wondering if we need to tip them? Normally, I err on the side of generous when tipping, but we are really strapped financially at the moment. Normally, if I can't afford the tip, I can't afford to do it (like eating out or hairdresser), but that's not an option here.

If it makes a difference, we are doing all the packing ourselves, and today we already did a load and my husband is unloading it himself now. We'll only have the movers here for two hours, and it's just to help us load the heavy and unwieldy stuff, including a piano and LOTS of boxes of books.

We also have (different) movers coming the following day on the other end to help unload, again just the heaviest stuff that we can't manage on our own.

3 people the first time and four the second. So even if I tip only a modest amount, that's a lot of money. Google was no help (pretty evenly divided), so what says the hive?

Yes, we do tip. In your situation, I would tip whomever was the lead of the team. (If you are unsure, go with the person who talked to you first). When giving the tip, I'd simply say, "Thank you. I wish it could be more. We're really struggling."

Anecdote: I met a mover once out West who found out I was from NJ. He said all the guys would fight to get the moves coming from here, because we're such generous tippers. So, I gather from that conversation that tipping for movers varies a bit by region.

What percentage do you tip?

I get so frustrated with tipping sometimes! Why do some people get a tip and others don't? Why do the movers get a tip but not the guy coming to hook up the cable? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. Just tell me the bottom line so I can budget correctly and move on!

We tipped what we could afford. We bought lunch for the packers, couldn't afford to tip; we bought lunch for the unpackers but they didn't want it! and we tipped them $20 each and the truck driver and his wife we gave ....I forget what...it was all we could afford at the time. They were very nice and had the local sense of humor.:lol:

I did, as they did a really super job, cheerful, NON-stop hustle, nary a scratch, everythng where I wanted it. I stopped on the way over to get them Subway and took their order carefully. The were so young and skinny, but so good. They were from the Starving Students company.

We tipped our movers when we moved somewhat locally in August. It wasn't something I had thought about a whole lot, but when the head guy sat down with us to go over the terms, he mentioned the tipping policy. This was a non for profit agency that helps recovering substance abusers, and all tips would go to the agency, so it was tax deductible, and I tipped well. But, they deserved every penny of the tip. They were among the most friendly, customer-service oriented people we had contracted with in the process of building our house. They just moved our furniture, we were doing all the boxes our selves.