Menu

How do you set goals?

I really struggle with this, not just with school, but in all aspects of life. I know all about SMART goals, etc. My problem is getting my vision/wish/dream/whatever into an actual goal. Here's an example: my vision for my homeschool is that we get started at a decent hour, work at a steady pace, have quiet time in the afternoon, then have a fun evening as a family after our activities. So, how do I turn that into a SMART goal? There are things to do to make this happen like going to bed at a decent hour, cleaning off our table every night, making our to-do list, etc. But how are those goals?

I'm just confused and I just feel like things are so out of control since there is no real accountability; I fear my kids are learning every bad habit I have in this regard. Some days I feel so ill-equipped I just want to throw in the towel!

Advice please!

Thanks,

Rene

I have no idea what a SMART goal is - but to stay with your example:

if you want to start school on time, this is your goal.

Then you need to think about steps towards making that happen:

bedtime, clean table, alarm clock, streamlined morning routine - these are the steps you need to take to reach the goal.

Then you just... do it.

Or: fun family evening = goal

Steps towards goal:

reach goal #1(starting school on time)

work organized, no dawdling

pick fun thing to do in evening

Then.. do the steps.

You have a great goal - what you need is to break it down into pieces you can actually work on. Are you not getting started at a decent hour now? Why not? Ask yourself what went wrong every time you don't achieve your goal and come up with one thing you can do differently that would make it easier to achieve your goal. That's where the rubber hits the road.

You have a great goal - what you need is to break it down into pieces you can actually work on. Are you not getting started at a decent hour now? Why not? Ask yourself what went wrong every time you don't achieve your goal and come up with one thing you can do differently that would make it easier to achieve your goal. That's where the rubber hits the road.

This. I find it easier to work on one area at a time and focus on achieving that one piece before I move on. Some goals I have to give myself really small increments. Like, I wanted to be a more patient mom. I gave myself tiny goals - keeping my patience for 15 minutes at a time. If I botched it, and acted in a way I didn't want, I took a deep breath and a time out and then restarted the 15 minutes. This way it's never all or nothing, but a continuous journey.

Thanks for your insight; I think I'm getting bogged down in the process instead of just doing it. (Kind of like reading about homeschooling on these boards instead of getting to work!)

On another note, how do you do curriculum goals? This is our 3rd year and I really haven't done goals for our actual school work. Some things are pretty simple. (Finish Homer by Christmas, etc.) Does anyone use HST+ to track their school goals? How do you decide what to enter as a goal? Just curious.

Thanks,

Rene