Menu

Can you help me brainstorm?

Ds K is going to surpass ds 1st very soon if their current rate of work continues. Ds K is a natural learner and ds1st really struggles to learn what he does. He does so good though considering all it takes him to learn. I am so proud of both of my son's! Ds 1st is awesome because it takes him so much to do his work and he does not complain!

Anyways-- I want a back up plan for curriculum for ds1st so that if ds K gets to far ahead of him I can switch ds1st over so there will not be any issues with his younger brother being ahead of him, kwim?

I am looking for Math specifically. I don't plan on starting ds K in English until 2nd grade so I won't know how ds 1st does in that until next year. So I may eventually need an English rec also.

So both boys are in Horizons K math. Ds 1st is about to move into K book 2. It took him all year to do 1/2 of Horizons K book 1. He does well with it now and keeps going at a good steady pace. I have K book 2 and 1st grade book 1 for him for if/when he needs it. I would love to just start 1st grade book 1 but won't just skip him. I don't need him to be to lost, kwim? Ds K is about 1/4th of the way with K book 1 in just a months time. That is only because for a while I held him back to give ds1st time to move farther ahead. We did other things for math. If ds K had his way, he would do his math book ALL.DAY.LONG.EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. He LOVES math. LOVES it. So back to ds1st-- What can you recommend for a dc with HFA, SPD and a struggling writer that is similar to Horizons Math? OR do you think there is something else I should try with ds K?

Currently he does 1 or 1/2 lessons in Horizons a day- so he may get to the point we don't have to switch I am not sure. I just want ideas and have some research done so that if it does come to that I am prepared with what I want to go with, does that make sense?

We tried MUS last year but the workbooks were to plain for him. He loves color. We do use the MUS blocks though (w/ ds 1st). We LOVE those!

We do Bob Jones English and so far love it, what would you recommend for English if I do have to switch that for him? The writing alone may be enough reason to have to switch him (ds 1st) unless he makes huge gains in writing this year. He has low tone though and writing hurts his hand after short amounts of writing. (like- he struggled to get a 4 word sentence written in ETC yesterday then once he did he was done for the day. That was it)

So you're saying you want to change the HFA dc?? I would have thought the non-SN child would have more flexibility. I'd change him and leave the SN child alone. But maybe I'm totally misunderstanding. Sounds like your K5er would enjoy Singapore or MM. Or rip the covers off and put the work in a notebook so he doesn't know grade levels. Granted I haven't had multiple kids, but have you exhausted all means of eliminating the comparisons without changing?

I agree--if what you are using is working well for your older special needs son, then leave him in those programs and find something else for the younger son if needed. My younger ended up doing higher levels than my older but I had them both in CLE and ACE and they were OK with that. It was just how it was.

So you're saying you want to change the HFA dc?? I would have thought the non-SN child would have more flexibility. I'd change him and leave the SN child alone. But maybe I'm totally misunderstanding. Sounds like your K5er would enjoy Singapore or MM. Or rip the covers off and put the work in a notebook so he doesn't know grade levels. Granted I haven't had multiple kids, but have you exhausted all means of eliminating the comparisons without changing?

Yeah- ds 1st knows they are in the same book and so he keeps looking from where ds5 is at and looking to see 'how close' he is to where he (my 7 year old) is in the book. He keeps saying things like ' hes catching up I need to hurry' as if its a race or something. I cut his workbook out and put it in his math folder but he still looks in ds5's book to see where that is.

Did any of that make sense? :001_huh: Maybe I will cut out ds5's work book out also and see if that helps?

I will check into something else for ds 5. That makes sense to change him and not my 1st grader.

Any recs for somebody who seems to just learn naturally? He just does it- just gets it. I think the girls were like this to at this age but after ds7 I just don't remember what this is like :001_huh:

Any recs for somebody who seems to just learn naturally? He just does it- just gets it. :001_huh:

For the kiddo who "just gets" math, look at singapore or mcruffy math or maybe even ALEKS (cool online program). Actually MCP math is good too. And we liked the Saxon K-3 books as well.

If you like what you're using, I'd stick with it for both kids. At some point, your older one is going to need to realize that people have different strengths and weaknesses, and that it's perfectly okay to cheer others on ahead of you. No matter what program you use, it probably won't be too long until he notices that his little brother is quicker with his math facts, or doing multiplication while he's still trying to master his addition facts.

I would talk to him about his own strengths, and try to emphasis the value of his great work ethic, and give examples of how that can be of even more value than natural talent. (the story of the tortoise and the hare might be a way you could approach this).