Menu

no parent allowed in room for orthodontic assessment

I beg to differ. My perception is that not having parents present in dental and/or orthodontal appointments is not uncommon at all. I'm not offering an opinion on the policy itself, but simply stating my perception of its prevalence.

Yes, it's pretty common here too. When ds was little, I refused to go along with it. I searched until I found a dentist that would allow me in. I do understand that in some cases there just isn't room for an extra body, but he was too young IMO to be there alone. As he got older I let up.

I had such a horrible awful experience (I have panic attacks every time I have to go to the dentist now.) with my first trip to the dentist that I didn't let dd go back alone her first few times. She was probably 7 or so. My fear of the dentist kept me from taking her any earlier. I went into the cubicle and plopped myself on the floor (no chairs) in front of the chair with my back to the wall and just sat there quietly while (pretending to) reading my magazine.

Now at 12 if she has to go when we finally get a dentist here I'll leave it up to her. She's never had a bad experience. I think that is how it should be. Sadly the no parents rule scarred me for life.

Edited by Parrothead

I let our dentist try taking my daughter back alone once when she was little. I told them it wouldn't work, but they insisted that children do better without their parents. A few minutes later, they came and got me, stating they couldn't get her calmed down. It was never suggested after that. She cried during cleanings even with me present until she was about 9 years old.

We had to walk out of an orthodontist office when they refused to let me back with her. My daughter was crying in the waiting room at the thought of being forced to go alone. It was torture for her.

At our pediatric dentist office, parents are welcome to go back for exams, cleanings, x-rays, etc. But treatments are typically done without the parent in the room. It has never been a problem for my dc. Also, they will come and get a parent if there is any upset at all. I was a nervous wreck with my dd6 last month. She had her very first "treatment" appt and I was sure she was going to be a mess. Nope. The hygienest came out frequently to let me know how she was doing and it was always - doing great, not upset, just fine, etc. And she came out happy and with stickers.

While I am not a fan of the "rule," I also can understand it as long as there is leeway and allowance for dc for whom it will. not. work. I think of my own dd. I believe I would have created anxiety for her but by my not being there, she was brave, kwim?

I should mention that this office has 4 chairs each in 2 separate bays. No one is ever alone with any child. That would NOT fly with me, at ALL! We have also been with this clinic for 13+ years and know them and trust them. My standard would be different if I were taking them to a brand new office full of strangers. :)

OP - yay!!!!!!! :grouphug: It sounds like it couldn't have gone better!!!! :D