Menu

Please educate me on homemade almond milk, dh is driving me crazy....

He insists that we need to try making homemade almond milk. He wrote on my grocery list Raw Almonds. I have these from Sam's Club....http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod740706 they have no salt or anything, will they work?

Please give me advice. I don't want to spend an arm & a leg when you can buy almond milk!

Thanks,

Phlox

You need to use raw almonds to make milk. That bag looks like raw, but without seeing the whole label I can't be sure. I get bags at Kroger when they go on sale. You can also find them in bins at health food stores. You'll also need to get a little 'nut milk bag' that you pour the blended almond/water mixture into to strain it. I use this one from Amazon, but there are many others: http://www.amazon.com/Nut-Milk-Bag--New-Improved/dp/B00158U8DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317389186&sr=8-1

There are also many recipes, but I use 1 cup raw almonds to 4 cups of water (and a tiny pinch of salt) in my Vitamix to make a rich milk. Blend 30 seconds, pour into the bag and squeeze into a bowl, then into a pitcher for the fridge. You can use the pulp that remains in the bag to add to granola bars, cookies, meatloaves, etc. So much cheaper than prepared boxes, but it takes a little time (5 minutes). You can also make almond milk without straining it for your breakfast smoothies, but using a small handful of almonds into 2 cups water, blending, then adding your fruits/protein powders, etc. Yummy.

I think the point of making your own almond milk is to avoid all the extra starches and sweeteners the commercial producers add to the milk. It's not a cost savings, I don't think, given the price of almonds.

Here is a nice easy-to-follow recipe for making your own almond milk.

http://www.ohnuts.com/blog/2011/03/how_to_make_almond_milk_recipe_1.html

You really need raw almonds though- toasted won't work.

When I we first starting drinking almond milk we made our own because it wasn't very easy to find in the stores. We used quite a bit of it and it was pretty expensive to make. Plus I couldn't use up the almond meal as fast we were making it. Then the stores started carrying. First they only carried 5 boxes on the shelf at a time now they stock 20 at a time (and it's still usually bare) and the cost has dropped over $1.00 a half gallon while the price of almonds has increased over $1.00 a pound. It was barely cost effective when we started 3 years ago and now it most definitely is not a cost savings to make it myself.

That said if you really want to make your own, I soaked them overnight in water, ran the whole stuff in the blender and strained it with cheesecloth (I didn't have the nut bag and since I was trying to save money I didn't want to spend the money to buy one). Use the nut meal in something else such as struesel topping or homemade granola.