Menu

Kitchenaid attachments, what do you use?

DawnM

What should I do?  

1. 1. What should I do?

• Get the meat grinder, I love mine (or would love one)
    • Get the ice cream maker, I love mine (or would love one)
    • Get the one that will net the most on ebay and sell it
    • I can't decide but I like polls
    • Other (please give me your idea!)

Ok, I finally ordered my KA.

It comes with a rebate.

So, here is my question:

The rebate is for a free attachment of either an ice cream maker or meat grinder.

I have listed my choices above in a poll, but please also tell me if you use either and the frequency of use you get.

Other choices are also listed. Dh's suggestion is to get the one that will bring in the most $$ on ebay and sell the attachment and either off-set the cost of the machine or get the extra bowl that I would prefer.

Thank you!

PS: If anyone is interested or in the market, Kohl's discount code for 30% off is SAVING30. If you buy this week you also get Kohl's cash of $10 per $50 spent.

I chose other.

I have the sausage maker and the grater. Never used either, but it always seems cool to make your own sausage.

Get the one you think you'd like better. If you already have a Cuisinart, then there isn't a need for a meat grinder.

Homemade ice-cream is much more fun for the kiddos :)

Do you have leftover uncooked meat after Thanksgiving? We only end up with cooked meat.

Dawn

We have the meat grinder. We use it once every 6 months or so. But it is quite nice after thanksgiving to grind up the leftover turkey into turkey hamburger.

The only attachement I have is the slicer/shredder. I use it every few months, but when I do....I LOVE it!

I use it to shred large blocks of cheese for lasagna or just general use. It saves me a lot of work when I use it so I really appreciate having it. I also use it to shred carrots or other veggies for breads, cakes sauces.

I have used the slicer for large quantities of sliced potatoes, but for our family of 5 it is just as fast to slice them myself, if I factor in clean up time of the appliance.

I got my KA from my grandmother. My grandpa bought her all the attachments he could get his hands on. That said, we use the meat grinder the most. I don't buy ground meat much at all. I try to buy whatever cuts are in the discount "have to go TODAY" case, and separate it out. I grind what we'll need ground, keep whole what we'll need whole, and then freeze it all for later use. I also like the pasta extruder, though I sometimes forgo it in favor of my counter-mounted pastA press.

Edited by KristinaBreece

I use my slicer/shredder the most, though it's not one of your options.

My vote would be for the ice cream maker, however, ours somehow started leaking and now it doesn't work anymore. I am very sad about that. :glare:

I have listed my choices above in a poll, but please also tell me if you use either and the frequency of use you get.

Dh's suggestion is to get the one that will bring in the most $$ on ebay and sell the attachment and either off-set the cost of the machine or get the extra bowl that I would prefer.

Thank you!

I agree with your DH. ;)

I have owned my Kitchen-Aid for about 5 years. I love it, but have no desire to own any attachments. I would like to have another 6 quart bowl. ;)

My DH bought me the meat grinder for my birthday. It sat here for a few days before I asked my DH if I could return it and get something else we needed for the house. He agreed...

I don't have a KA so I can't vote. I really really want one though!

I was going to wait for Christmas time to see if there are any good sales. Do you think there will be better deals during the holiday season, or is the Kohl's deal as good as it gets?

I would hold out for a Holiday sale at Kohl's. That's when my grandparents bought the one I have now, and he got all the attachments and everything for less than their regular price on the mixer itself.

I use the meat grinder for grinding roasts into ground beef. I haven't tried using it for grinding raw turkey or chicken, but I'm planning to.

My husband was never a fan of turkey burgers until we started grinding our own. I really think it is a discernible difference. Same with chicken.

I talked to someone who bought hers at Kohl's last year during the Holiday season and she told me that the deal right now is even a little better than hers was because I got the 30% off too.

I was going to hold out, but I figured with Kohl's cash, 30% off, free shipping, and a free attachment, it was a good deal.

Of course, if there is a better deal during the holidays I will be upset! :tongue_smilie:

I would hold out for a Holiday sale at Kohl's. That's when my grandparents bought the one I have now, and he got all the attachments and everything for less than their regular price on the mixer itself.

If you routinely grind meat, the meat grinder attachment will break. Ask me how I know, lol. The plastic housing cracks. There are much better meat grinder on the market, and they will last.

The ice cream attachment, on the other hand, is a miracle. :)

Do not, under any circumstances, even think about the pasta maker attachment. It will ruin your KA...the motor/gears cannot handle the load.

I use the meat grinder about twice/year for homemade ground beef from a roast, or to grind chicken to make croquettes. I use the ice cream attachment a couple times every summer (more often if I'm getting raw milk). I have a slicer/shredder that I only use if I'm shredding a mountain of something; otherwise I just use the Cuisenart. I almost never use the juicer attachment.

I use my extra bowl absolutely all the time. At least 5x week. On a budget, I would definitely opt for an extra bowl. I voted for the ebay/bowl option.

I coveted the ice cream maker. I changed my mind once I realized that you have to plan a day ahead to freeze the thing AND have the freezer space for it. That's just not the reality of my freezer OR my spontaneous must-make-ice-cream-TODAY nature. I bought a $20 rival that can make a gallon at a time.

I use my Cuisinart to grind and slice, so I'd probably want to add the sausage stuffer thing OR the grain mill next. I DO grind meat though, so without the Cuisinart I'd definitely want the meat grinder.

Really? This is one of the reasons I want a KA so I can make g-free pasta.

Is Cuisinart better than KA?

The KA cannot handle heavy doughs, period. It cannot mix the pasta dough on a regular basis without risking the motor (I've burned out 3 KA mixers just doing bread dough...pasta dough is MUCH stiffer...is that word?). The pasta attachment I had caused the KA to almost seize, it was working so hard.

I now use my food processor to mix the pasta dough (I have a KA food processor, but let it be said this is also my 2nd...KA does not build to last, unfortunately). Then I knead a bit by hand, let the dough rest, and then roll out bits to feed into this: http://www.amazon.com/Imperia-SP150-Pasta-Machine/dp/B002ZWA15K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1317425655&sr=8-5

Believe me, if you want to make pasta, this is the way to go. I've been making pasta by hand for 30 years. Don't waste your money on the KA crap.

The KA cannot handle heavy doughs, period. It cannot mix the pasta dough on a regular basis without risking the motor .

depends upon the wattage of the motor - there are at least three different size motors. 350watts, 400watts, and 600 watts.

Before getting a bread machine we used ours for *heavy* bread dough all the time and never had a problem. (I wanted a bread machine because I'm lazy - I wanted to throw everything in, walk away, and forget it)

depends upon the wattage of the motor - there are at least three different size motors. 350watts, 400watts, and 600 watts.

Before getting a bread machine we used ours for *heavy* bread dough all the time and never had a problem. (I wanted a bread machine because I'm lazy - I wanted to throw everything in, walk away, and forget it)

NO! Don't even go there. Google it. Read reviews. Read reviews of KA mixers on thefreshloaf.com

KA is not what it used to be when Hobart owned it. Not. at. all. I personally have burned out 2 600-watt pro models doing nothing more than kneading bread dough (and not ww) now and then.

I've had the KA Classic Plus for almost 3 years now. It's the most basic model. I make bread dough, biscuits, cookies, mashed potatoes, and pizza dough. I also use it for lighter stuff like egg whites and frosting. I use it weekly, but probably no more than 3X a week. I have never had a problem with it. It handles the dough as easily as it handles the egg whites, and is still going strong.

I am surprised because a friend of mine often makes pasta with her KA and has the attachment.

The KA cannot handle heavy doughs, period. It cannot mix the pasta dough on a regular basis without risking the motor (I've burned out 3 KA mixers just doing bread dough...pasta dough is MUCH stiffer...is that word?). The pasta attachment I had caused the KA to almost seize, it was working so hard.

I now use my food processor to mix the pasta dough (I have a KA food processor, but let it be said this is also my 2nd...KA does not build to last, unfortunately). Then I knead a bit by hand, let the dough rest, and then roll out bits to feed into this: http://www.amazon.com/Imperia-SP150-Pasta-Machine/dp/B002ZWA15K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1317425655&sr=8-5

Believe me, if you want to make pasta, this is the way to go. I've been making pasta by hand for 30 years. Don't waste your money on the KA crap.

You might want to check out K-tec for a wheat grinder.

But, have so MANY appliances and so LITTLE kitchen. I'm one who actually uses mst of my gadgets regularly.

I've had my KA for 5 years. I make a loaf of WW bread a week plus whatever other baking or mixing I do. My machine has never given me trouble and it's just the Artisan.