Menu

New DSHS Rules

Up until today, they've always accepted my husband's profit and loss statements to insure my children.

Today, they told me that they couldn't process our review because I didn't provide enough information. Now they want:

His business ledger with all client info and invoicing for the last three months

Receipts proving all business expenses for the last three months

All bank account statements for the last three months (business and personal)

He's working on printing it all off now because all of his invoicing is via email and everything else is in Quickbooks or online. It will end up being 2-3 inches worth of paper, and while he's printing all that, he's not able to work.

Ugh. If we had a choice, we wouldn't provide it. It feels very violating to be giving them the information for every client, every penny earned (and where it came from), and every penny we spent (and where we spent it). I actually feel ill from it.

I called to quotes for individual insurance. We simply can't do it. Even catastrophic is outside our ability to pay. It's either give the state everything they want or be completely uninsured. Dh and I haven't had insurance for years, but I can't stomach making my children go without medical care when they are sick or hurting like we do.

I hate this world. Today is one of those days where I regret bringing children into it. I want to beg my kids not to have children when they grow up, because this world sucks too much.

They review food stamps every six months and children's medical every year...at least that's how it was. I don't know if they've changed that. If it was just the food stamps, we'd just drop it and find a way to do without the $390 they give us. It only lasts half a month anyway.

The good news is that I am confident that we will become self-sufficient again. DH's business is growing despite the economy. I'm trying to figure out how to get my day more organized and efficient (easier said than done with the age my kids are) so I can take over bookkeeping and billing to free up more of his time for billable work.

They require the most recent information. If you have a "real job", they want the last two pay stubs. If you're self-employed, you apparently have to give them your entire life for the past three months.

Their rules also state that if our income goes up $100 or more above the amount they used for qualification for two months straight, you have to call and report it so they can reduce your benefits. Fortunately, you can call the third month when it goes back down to have them increase your benefits again. It's really crazy.

DH wants to hand deliver (it's not like 2 inches of paper is going to fit in their tiny little postage paid envelope anyway) and ask some questions, because the Washington Administrative Code doesn't require all this paperwork.

I talked to them today. She said she needed verification of income and expenses and started spitting out a bunch of business terms. I said, "Whoa! I'm not a business person. What exactly do you want? She gave the example of some people keep a calendar of all of their appointments...like if he's a musician, he'd have a calendar showing all of his appointments and give us a copy of the bill he sent out for each appointment. Then she listed all of this other stuff she needed.

The notes I wrote down from the conversation said she needed his entire ledger for the past three months, copies all of bills sent out, copies of banking statements for all business and personal bank accounts for the past three months, and all expense receipts for the past three months. I specifically told her that the guy I talked to about a month ago when I called for the "interview" told me he'd send me the application (about 20 pages of printout from their system) that I needed to sign and return with profit and loss statements. She told it there were new rules.

He's at about an inch of paper and three hours of work so far.

Edited by joannqn

It's for both. I asked if it would be required for just children's medical (thinking I'd just tell them to skip the food stamps), and they said it was required for that too.

I'd perhaps suggest talking to someone else then. I just had this conversation with someone less than two months ago. They asked about me sending the types of records you're talking about, then I asked if I could just send my tax return from last year and they said "sure." Just a thought .... but also keep in mind, we're just going into our second year with the cards, so have only done this re-confirmation once.

ETA -- I posted while you were posting the above reply. So maybe they have changed just in the last two months. Wild. I don't know if we'll stick with it if they require so very much.

I would ask to speak to a supervisor about your situation or at the very least ask to be shown in writing why you should give the information they are requesting. It sounds like you have a casework who is overstepping his/her bounds of authority to me. We have had issues with caseworkers making up rules, and I wouldn't be surprised if that is what is happening in your case.

They just shifted medical over from DSHS to someone else, effective Oct.1, I believe. I sent my review in to the wrong place because I sent the food stamp and medical review in to DSHS. But DSHS doesn't handle it anymore. And the benefits have changed for medical, too. (It seems like the changes only affect adult medical and we don't get that, so I am not sure.)

It used to be that once approved for medical, it was guaranteed for a year, regardless of income changes. I wonder if they have changed that, too. Food stamps, however, can still change from one month to the next, although I was told to report only permanent changes, like a raise, not a one - off OT check or whatever.

Dh did get a raise in the exact amount of our food stamps. Yup, we lost our food stamp benefits. So, we aren't any worse off, but we also weren't able to move ahead, either. No wonder people get stuck in the system for so long. They make it impossible to move up and get ahead. Every step forward in personal income equals less benefits, so no opportunity to actually get on your feet. ::sigh::

Sorry about the Hollywood production of a review. It's a good thing you and your dh don't have anything else to do, like work or take care of children. :glare:

My husband is going trying to finish printing up the request information by tomorrow and hand deliver. He'll ask those questions while he's there before he hands it over. He's pretty unhappy about being required to divulge client information.

I'll bet his clients would be thrilled, too. He should (IMO) be allowed to blacken out names and such. But that probably defeats their purpose. :glare:

(NO hostility here.... )

You want to know what even more funny? They told me that I could hand deliver the information and then wait 24 hours for them to scan in the documentation (they're going to scan over an inch of paper!) before calling to request they process the application. I'd be calling so we don't experience too much of a lapse of coverage.

Well, DH took care of it. Turns out that "Amy" lied, and they didn't need all of that. We still have medical care for the kids.

If I recall, we can make up around $7,000 a month and still qualify for state medical (at some point it switched from free to $20 per kid per month). We're at less than half of that.

I realize you may know this and have already decided it won't work, but I'm tossing it out there because I've met a number of people who did NOT know this. We were all without insurance when I was pregnant with #2, and I discovered that both my OB and ds's pediatrician offered a 40% discount if I paid the full amount at the visit. Our copay with insurance had been $30--with no insurance and the discount, it was $40. Most, if not all, places will do this. Obviously, it would get a lot more complicated with, say, an ambulance ride or surgery, but, again, just tossing it out there in case it is at all helpful for you or anyone else.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this--it's just so stressful:(.

Well, DH took care of it. Turns out that "Amy" lied, and they didn't need all of that. We still have medical care for the kids.

Ugh, how frustrating for you to have done all that only to not have needed it. I'm sorry! (But glad you're good to go again.)

All they wanted today was the detailed expense report from Quickbooks and bank statements. They took the latter but didn't even look at them.

The ledger, the billings, the receipts weren't necessary.

And that was after waiting an hour and a half to talk to someone.

We were all without insurance when I was pregnant with #2, and I discovered that both my OB and ds's pediatrician offered a 40% discount if I paid the full amount at the visit.

I thought it wasn't legal to have different prices for cash patients vs. insurance billed patients. Doesn't that constitute insurance fraud? Or do they use different billing codes for the same procedures?

If I recall, we can make up around $7,000 a month and still qualify for state medical (at some point it switched from free to $20 per kid per month). We're at less than half of that.

That's $84,000/ year.

:confused:

$7000 a month is a lot!

I thought it wasn't legal to have different prices for cash patients vs. insurance billed patients. Doesn't that constitute insurance fraud? Or do they use different billing codes for the same procedures?

I don't think it is fraud because the same opportunity is available for those with insurance, they just don't take advantage of it. Our insurance requires us to go to the ER if our doctor is closed and we are always offered a discount if we pay the bill within 12 days.

I know we are allowed by law to offer a discount to cash patients. By not using insurance, there is less paperwork involved and therefore the procedures cost less (via less work for the billing clerk, less paper, postage, etc).

My husband is going trying to finish printing up the request information by tomorrow and hand deliver. He'll ask those questions while he's there before he hands it over. He's pretty unhappy about being required to divulge client information.

I would STRONGLY suggest that he redact the information about his clients. Just take a big fat black marker and strike out things like clients last name and part of the address so that the caseworker cannot know exactly who it is.

For example, instead of:

John Smith

123 Oak Street

Anytown, OK

Give the caseworker:

John ******

*** Oak Street

Anytown, OK

Wow, $7000 a month. I wonder how many people realize that, and what the amount is here in our neck of the woods.

And that was after waiting an hour and a half to talk to someone.

Everyone is in a huge tither because of agencies combining, shifting duties, and RIFs (reduction in force). It is a truism in state government that the more redundant the worker, the more scatterbrains they have in that department: if something isn't getting done, it can't be because the job/pay/expectation is so bad only the lost-at-sea stay there, I mean all employees are on the ball -- right, so it must mean we don't have ENOUGH of them. The solution is hire more. And now that riffing is taking place, the long-tenured dead wood is what is going to be left.

The last big RIF we got a secretary of 21 years tenure who COULD NOT TYPE and had never sent an email. I kid you not.

That said, all insurance supplement is on the chopping block in the state, and I don't see much hope of a voter-supported tax increase, but I have been surprised before. I know things are serious because I went to a meeting with the rep from my town and the next district over. I've never seen a Dem and a Repub so united in message, ever. It was "tell us what you think we should keep and what we should cut". (The united part is that both of them want us to know they would like to be re-elected, and they aren't going to look like knights in shining armor this year, IMO).

The amounts are gross, not net, and yes they are well into the middle class, but at that income rate you do have to pay a premium per month (but not a high one). The amount you can make increases with family size, so being that there are 6 people in Joann's family, they get a pretty high bar.

The income limits are listed at this link.

There are three tiers: Children's Medical is completely free. SCHIP medical $20 has a $20 monthly premium per child but everything is free after that. SCHIP medical $30 has a $30 monthly premium per child but everything is free after that.

I have four kids so we can make up to $4922 and get children's medical, $6153 and get the $20 premium medical, and $7383 and get the $30 premium medical.

I'm very much aware that those limits are very high. I was shocked when I first found out. I personally think the free medical limit is well over reasonable limits. If we made that much, we'd be able to afford an individual policy and wouldn't need free or low cost medical. In fact, we did pay for our own individual policies when we made around $45,000. It boggles my mind that a $59,000 salary would put our family in the needy category.

Getting medical for adults is another story. Those limits are much lower and there is a very long wait list; we've been on it for a couple of years.

Edited by joannqn

Getting medical for adults is another story. Those limits are much lower and there is a very long wait list; we've been on it for a couple of years.
Our limit for a family of 10 was under $900 per month.:001_huh: No, that's not a typo.

Our state's children's copay medical income limit for us expecting our 9th is $96,500! :thumbup: At least we will never have to worry about them. Of course, if we made near that much, we wouldn't need the state. Sadly, the state's benefits are much better than any other insurance here.

Our limit for a family of 10 was under $900 per month.:001_huh: No, that's not a typo.

Our state's children's copay medical income limit for us expecting our 9th is $96,500! :thumbup: At least we will never have to worry about them. Of course, if we made near that much, we wouldn't need the state. Sadly, the state's benefits are much better than any other insurance here.

In the state of Washington, you limit would be $144,696.

JoAnn -I see you are in Washington state...have you looked into Basic Health?

Dh doesn't get medical through his job, he's a personal health care giver for an elderly man with MS. I am a stay at home mom now so I don't have insurance through a job anymore either.

We applied for Basic Health and its $45/month for each of us with a $15 co-pay for office visits. It seems to cover all the basics. I haven't looked into what it covers as far as serious issues or treatments though.