Menu

Do you make your own flour tortillas?

I make my own, mostly because they are the only tortillas my son likes.

The recipe I have calls for 3 cups of flour and I make two of those cups whole wheat flour. I don't have a tortilla press, I just roll them out with a small rolling pin. They are not always perfectly round but close enough. Since my son likes them fresh and warm out of the pan, I usually just make half a recipe and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days to be made into tortillas as needed.

Here's the recipe I use:

3 c flour

1/3 c veg oil

Mix these together (I do this in the kitchen aid with the beater)

around 3/4 c. salted water, put in a half cup and then just add as necessary so the dough stays together but is not too sticky (I do this in the KA with the dough hook)

Then you roll a bit of dough into a ball and roll it out on a floured surface with a rolling pin (I prefer smaller sized rolling pins).

This should make around 14 or so regular-sized tortillas I think.

Homemade really tastes better, but sometimes I like the convenience of buying them in the store when I am planning a meal that I want to be able to throw together quickly. The kids really prefer the homemade ones and will eat them plain as fast as I can make them. I tend to buy them in hot weather also since I don't like cooking anything in the heat. I don't use a tortilla press either, just a rolling pin.

with fresh ground whole wheat flour on a press (we use the press to press them thin, then bake them on an ungreased large griddle. it goes faster that way). our recipe is from bread beckers, maybe it's on their website.

store bought is cheap, but my family really prefers the taste of whole wheat homemade. i like spinach added :)

I would love to find a shortcut to rolling out flour tortillas, but everywhere I've looked it says the presses don't do flour ones.

Does anyone have any "tricks"?

Our cheapo cast iron press does. It won't press them as thinly as gluten free tortillas, but it does the job.

We used to make our own because wheat tortillas should taste like wheat instead of mould suppressants. :glare: All those nasty additives are no good for any of us, but they used to trigger off an immune system response in my dd and her breathing would get raspy.

Rosie

My family loves the home-made ones.

I make a batch when I'm doing a meal where we'll actually get a chance to savor them or when I have time and feel like it or when I run out of the ones I bought last time.

It's not difficult, just a little time-consuming. When I'm really firing on all pistons, I make a double batch and stash half in the freezer.

We have the electric press/cooker but I like the way they turn out on the cast iron griddle better. I buy the pre-made raw ones when I need them thin enough for enchiladas or burritos. Make them myself for other stuff like tacos or tortillas with butter and cinnamon (which my kids will eat faster than they can be made).

The pre-made raw ones have very few ingredients and no preservatives but the fully cooked ones on the bread aisle have so many ingredients I can't make myself buy them. I spent more time looking at the ingredient list and trying to find something that I can justify than just making them myself.

A friend has a recipe book with all kinds of yummy looking variations and flavors but you can probably find quite a few recipes on line.

Make them.

And... umm... confession time. When I make the flour ones, I send them through my big pasta press to get them super thin if I want them for burritos. Otherwise, they're just bread to us and they don't need to be super thin.