Menu

This Board May Haved Saved My Sanity (and our Homeschool Choice)!

There was a thread a few days ago about how to get your sons to focus and complete assignments in a timely manner. Many had suggested adding exercise or physical activity throughout the day to offset the 'seat time'.

Back story: My DS8 was taking for. ever. to complete math worksheets. It's not that he didn't know the material, he would just rather stare at the walls than put pencil to paper. Plus, that particular lesson is the longest video lesson (30 minutes). He dreaded it every day.

So two days ago we changed things up. And wow. What a difference!

We start our mornings swimming. They swim for 45 minutes before they shower, brush teeth, and get dressed.

Then breakfast, as they watch their first lesson (we do BJU DLO).

They do two hours of school work, then break 15 minutes for snack. Then it's another hour of school work, before the next physical break. They have 15 minutes of jumping jacks, pushups, and situps. They complete their school work, then have to run 5 laps around the back yard.

Believe it or not, this has DECREASED the amount of time spent on our school day!! AND they are more focused for school. No more tears. No more frustration. No more fighting (with me or each other!).

I am gobsmacked. Thrilled. Thankful for the advice. :) I pray that this pattern continues to succeed.

There was a thread a few days ago about how to get your sons to focus and complete assignments in a timely manner. Many had suggested adding exercise or physical activity throughout the day to offset the 'seat time'.

Back story: My DS8 was taking for. ever. to complete math worksheets. It's not that he didn't know the material, he would just rather stare at the walls than put pencil to paper. Plus, that particular lesson is the longest video lesson (30 minutes). He dreaded it every day.

So two days ago we changed things up. And wow. What a difference!

We start our mornings swimming. They swim for 45 minutes before they shower, brush teeth, and get dressed.

Then breakfast, as they watch their first lesson (we do BJU DLO).

They do two hours of school work, then break 15 minutes for snack. Then it's another hour of school work, before the next physical break. They have 15 minutes of jumping jacks, pushups, and situps. They complete their school work, then have to run 5 laps around the back yard.

Believe it or not, this has DECREASED the amount of time spent on our school day!! AND they are more focused for school. No more tears. No more frustration. No more fighting (with me or each other!).

I am gobsmacked. Thrilled. Thankful for the advice. :) I pray that this pattern continues to succeed.

Thanks for sharing your story. It may help many more families dealing with similar situations.

Reminds me that I need to get my daughter back into her rock-climbing classes. :)