Menu

Just got SM1A/B and need suggestions

genny

First off, gotta say this is a nice looking curriculum that has actually got me excited to do math with dd:D

I need advice on how to go about using the challenging word problems and intensive practice books. Do they correspond with the lessons? How do you use them? I want to get started with this program tomorrow but am not sure on how to incorporate these books.

TIA:D

We just started with 1A as well, and my son's really enjoying the little characters...and learning the math too!

Since I want to make sure he's mastered everything, we're doing all the tasks and workbook problems. We're moving on to the next topic now, and this is when I think I'll use the Intensive Practice book...to make sure the last topic stays fresh in his mind, just maybe doing a few problems along with the new items.

Challenging word problems I took a quick look at, and it really seems like it's not time for it yet. I wonder if it's even correlated to the "regular books" (i.e. CWP1 goes along with SM1?)...or maybe it's an entity unto itself?

I'm not sure my kid will "get" the equations if they're presented as word problems, while he's still nailing them down in numerical form.

We actually use the IP a semester behind. So we are finishing up 2A and the IP for 1B this week. This way he can do a majority of the IP work alone. I have two math boxes in our workboxes. One is for our normal daily lesson in 2A. The other is having him spend 20 minutes working independently on problems in the IP.

This is the first year that I bought the CWP. We have the level 2 book and we randomly work through a problem or two. Generally I end up grabbing it when he has learned a concept really quickly and I don't feel that he needs to do every workbook page. So we do more work with word problems on the same concept.

We actually use the IP a semester behind.

Same here. It functions as a great review. Also, because the concepts aren't new, DD6 can work on the IP more independently while DD4 and I "do math."

I use the CWP on-level, but a few units behind.

My rough targets right now are about 4 pages of the IP and CWP each week (although my daughter loves them so much she typically does that many in a day!), along with about a lesson a day (using the textbook and workbook). Obviously that flexes as she encounters topics that she masters easily and those where she needs a bit of time to absorb the concepts.

We use the HIG and the workbook is usually only scheduled 2 or 3 days a week. We use the IP on the other days. My plan was to alternate that with the CWP, but it's not really working for us... the CWP can be pretty intense and after too many our eyes glaze over. Soooo not what I'm going for! I saw someone mention on here that they used CWP as a daily challenge problem. I think I'm going to try that when I plan out our next quarter. I think we might be able to keep up with a daily challenge word problem without burning ourselves out on them.

First off, gotta say this is a nice looking curriculum that has actually got me excited to do math with dd:D

I need advice on how to go about using the challenging word problems and intensive practice books. Do they correspond with the lessons? How do you use them? I want to get started with this program tomorrow but am not sure on how to incorporate these books.

TIA:D

We pretty much worked on only one topic at a time, doing the Textbook Tasks & Workbook Exercises as laid out in the HIG/TG's. I added in small sets of problems from the IP & CWP on most days, and then we might spend an extra day or few working on more IP & CWP problems. Then, in between topics, we'd often have one or two review days.

For example, in the PM-1A chapter, "Numbers 1 to 20," we might do something like this to complete the topic:

• PM-1A Textbook & Workbook: mostly according to the daily lesson plans in HIG/TG's

• IP-1A: about 50-75% of the Numbers 1 to 20 topic, leaving the rest for review later; we also skipped most of the Take the Challenge sections, using them later for enrichment or review.

• CWP-1: about 50% of the Numbers 1 to 20 topic; I didn't use the remaining problems for later review, as there were enough word problems in the IP.

• Topic test: I had some supplementary materials that I used for topical tests at the end of each unit. It's not necessary at all in 1st grade, but if you really wanted to do that, you could easily use the Extra Practice 1 as a test book (or even the Review exercises in the PM Workbook).

HTH!