Menu

Just a quick vent..

It wasn't bad enough that my sister in-laws chemo meds are unavailable so that now she is riddled with more tumors on their stupid back up plan but now, after finally being diagnosed after 6 years with Lyme and finally on an antibiotic protocol, now my daughters medication is unavailable and we have to start all over!!!!!

Thank you, you may return to your regular reading. I just really needed to say it to someone. :banghead::banghead:

Liz - why are the meds unavailable? Can you go to a compound pharmacy and have them make up the medicines? I know that when my natural thyroid was unavailable because the company stopped making it for awhile, I was able to take my prescription to a compound pharmacy and they made it up for me from the separate ingredients.

Liz - why are the meds unavailable? Can you go to a compound pharmacy and have them make up the medicines? I know that when my natural thyroid was unavailable because the company stopped making it for awhile, I was able to take my prescription to a compound pharmacy and they made it up for me from the separate ingredients.

I was wondering the same thing. Does "unavailable" mean now banned by the FDA, not manufactured anymore for other reasons or a shortfall of stock?

I was wondering the same thing. Does "unavailable" mean now banned by the FDA, not manufactured anymore for other reasons or a shortfall of stock?

I don't know about the specific medications the OP mentioned but there are a LOT of prescription drug shortages right now. I think it may be due to manufacturers shuting down less profitable lines but it might be responses to some drug recalls (even if they are not related to the shortage drugs).

My case is not as serious as chemo or lyme but I really depend on B12 shots. The nerves in my feet and hands become very painful and my thinking becomes fuzzy. As my dh says it is like English is no longer my first language.:lol: I have an absorbtion issue and must take the shots. My doctor's office has been back order since June. Walgreens, Doctor's Clinic, etc are out of stock.

I don't know why or when the pharma companies started reducing supplies of some medicines (probably not profitable anymore?), but it is a big issue in more than one health field.

I don't know why or when the pharma companies started reducing supplies of some medicines (probably not profitable anymore?), but it is a big issue in more than one health field.
call my cynical but I think they are purposely doing it b/c then it drives up the price of the drugs that are left, and they get more money for less work.

I don't know Jean but for my sister in law, it well could mean the end.

Doxil has been unavailable for months now. The alternative, Taxol, left her riddled with more tumors after a month. I heard there is a black market but that is drying up as well. There simply isn't any available.

The FDA doesn't give any explanation that I could find reasonable.

As far as the Lyme meds, there is simply "a shortage". So I'm told. The generic as well as the brand name. There is a limited supply left, at our pharmacy anyway, of the extended release but I am waiting to hear if that will work. I wouldn't think so because the bloodstream levels have to be boosted and maintained at a high dose for Lyme.

I was picking up meds at the pharmacy this past weekend and two people in front of couldn't get their prescriptions filled bec the drugs are on back-order and haven't been avail for several months. I was talking to the pharmacist when it was my turn - he's a family friend - he told me that the problem is that the FDA puts a limit on how much the drug companies can manufacture/sell. He said it doesn't matter that there are pharmacies all over that have the meds back-ordered the companies aren't allowed to produce or deliver them if they've produced their limit.

I was picking up meds at the pharmacy this past weekend and two people in front of couldn't get their prescriptions filled bec the drugs are on back-order and haven't been avail for several months. I was talking to the pharmacist when it was my turn - he's a family friend - he told me that the problem is that the FDA puts a limit on how much the drug companies can manufacture/sell. He said it doesn't matter that there are pharmacies all over that have the meds back-ordered the companies aren't allowed to produce or deliver them if they've produced their limit.

That doesn't make sense. Not saying it can't be true. Just shaking my head. :lol:

I am going to check some of the FDA links provided above and see if I can understand this better.