Menu

IEW - where to start?

Boxing Hare

The TWSS is for you to learn the program and how to teach. The kids don't watch the TWSS.

With the kids, start with the SWI. Have them watch the first lesson on the DVD. Make sure to follow the schedule included with the SWI to know where to stop the DVD and which handouts to use for that lesson. Then follow along with the schedule to complete the lessons associated with the lecture the kids just watched.

Does that make sense?

The TWSS is for you to learn the program and how to teach. The kids don't watch the TWSS.

With the kids, start with the SWI. Have them watch the first lesson on the DVD. Make sure to follow the schedule included with the SWI to know where to stop the DVD and which handouts to use for that lesson. Then follow along with the schedule to complete the lessons associated with the lecture the kids just watched.

Does that make sense?

:iagree:This exactly.

We just started this year. I think it is fantastic!

I watch the SWI - Level A with my boys. I pause him when he asks for input from the kids in the class so that my boys can give their ideas. We don't usually watch an entire lesson all the way through in one day. This is too long for one day (for us).

I'll let you know how we've done it so far this year. The schedule is spelled out for you, but I divide the work up over a week. They produce one final paper each week.

Lesson 1

Day 1

We watched the video about making the key word outline. The boys put their keyword outline on paper.

Day 2

We watched the video about testing the outline and the which clause.

Day 3

Boys wrote their paragraph from outline.

Day 4

Boys typed paragraph and went through checklist. I reviewed, made notes, they edited and retyped. I printed out final paper and put into binder.

Lesson 2

The boys followed the same process for the additional assignments. I let them choose between Desert Tarantula and Pillbug and again between Starfish, Oysters or Pearls. This took two weeks because there were two writing assignments. I am not in a hurry to get through the program. I want to give them lots of practice.

Day 1

Boys wrote key word outline

Day 2

Boys wrote paragraph from outline

Day 3

Boys typed and used check list. I checked printed draft, gave edit suggestions, they retyped, printed out and put in binder.

Lesson 3

Day 1

We watched video about the Boy and the Nuts and did keyword outline. Boys followed along on paper.

Day 2

We watched video on testing the outline, changing the details, What is Style?, and two dress-ups.

Day 3

Boys will write story from their outline.

Day 4

Boys will type, I'll check, etc.