Menu

Ideas needed dd13s b-day coming up

Tap

For dd12's upcoming birthday, she really wants a sleep over. DD4 will make that a miserable experience for everyone. I have decided to get a hotel suite for dd12 and 5 friends (and me of course). We will be there from about 4pm one day until 11am the next.

I plan to order pizza around 6pm, let the girls hang out and chat, play in the pool until 10pm and then movie and bedtime. The next morning will be the hotel's 'hot/continental breakfast' and check out at 11am.

I am thinking about something to fill the 4pm-6pm time and the after pool/movie time. I know they will not be going to bed anytime before 1am.

Any ideas? I am thinking of having a friend come over who does henna work. But, she could only come before the pool, not after, and I figure that the pool would remove the henna stain. It would be too late at night to do it after the pool.

I am coming up blank for this one. The girls are all 12,13yo.

Most of them already have hair feathers, so that is out too.

Friendship bracelets are too young for them.

I was thinking about researching some ideas for ankle bracelets...but I haven't seen anything that is 'cool and new'. LOL

We did this at Great Wolf Lodge for a 12th bday party for my daughter, for the same reasons. She had never had a sleepover either! We used the pool park from 1pm the day of check in until the next evening. We had the room from 4pm until 10pm. We just took a pool break to check in and unpack/eat pizza! It was a blast. Do you have a Great Wolf Lodge nearby?

If she's a girly girl, or interested (mine isn't too girly but would go for this), you could do a "spa" time. Wax hands, mix up a natural facial (and make extra, so that they can take it home as a party favor), do nails, scrub feet. Dd says nails alone would take an hour.

You could do some dancing with an ipod providing the music.

My dd had her first slumber party when she turned 11 recently. We played hot potato, musical chairs, and limbo. Party City had a "Pin the Cell Phone on the Girl" game that we got which was cute. We also bought crazy, glittery hats from Party City and inflatable microphones. We stuck them in a basket in the living room, and the girls just naturally tried them on and sang to a cd. They also did an after-dark hunt in the backyard for giant lollipops. I had gotten glow-in-the-dark lip gloss for them to wear, but it didn't glow, sadly. Still, it was fun.

Also, the girls watched Megamind while we were waiting for everyone to arrive.

We did this at Great Wolf Lodge for a 12th bday party for my daughter, for the same reasons. She had never had a sleepover either! We used the pool park from 1pm the day of check in until the next evening. We had the room from 4pm until 10pm. We just took a pool break to check in and unpack/eat pizza! It was a blast. Do you have a Great Wolf Lodge nearby?

Near, but too far. :) About an hour and we will need dh to drive part of the girls both days, so it would be 4 hours of driving for him.

We went to GWL for another friends birthday last year. It was fun. The girls spent part of the day in the fairy game and in the pool the rest of the time.

Good idea...just too far.

How about getting a lot of nail polish and letting the girls do each others nails. There are lots of fun colors and nail pens to make designs with.

If she's a girly girl, or interested (mine isn't too girly but would go for this), you could do a "spa" time. Wax hands, mix up a natural facial (and make extra, so that they can take it home as a party favor), do nails, scrub feet. Dd says nails alone would take an hour.

You could do some dancing with an ipod providing the music.

Good ideas but these girls are more artsy/sports/tomboyish.

I am thinking about something to fill the 4pm-6pm time and the after pool/movie time. I know they will not be going to bed anytime before 1am.

pony beads come in two sizes, and make great keychains/zipper pulls. (you can even use seed beads for earrings or shoestrings ends). there are lots of free instructions for different animals/shapes. They can use the zipper pulls on their jackets or backpacks.

Have you asked your dd about things she thinks the group would like to do?

Do they have to have some sort of activity going at all times? I've known birthday parties to include wall-to-wall activities, but I've never known sleepovers to be that way.

I just asked my dd13 and she said that she wouldn't enjoy a sleepover that had adult led activities the whole time. Here are some of the things she's said:

We're tweens and teens, we like to have a little independence.

We love to talk. Just put a platter of snacks in front of us and let us just hang out, maybe listening to music and chatting.

Movies are fun. Each girl can make a suggestion and draw from a hat if time is limited.

Back to me: Now granted, this is just the opinion of one 13-year old girl. I'm sure moms of other kids this age will have different opinions.

Have fun! I'd ask your dd what she wants. Personally, I'd not plan anything! lol I'd let them lead. Swimming, food, movies, giggles just sounds like plenty. :)

I am pretty surprised that nobody has yet posted that they would never let their preteen spend the night without them at hotel with an unrealted adult! :D That must mean something! lol

I am pretty surprised that nobody has yet posted that they would never let their preteen spend the night without them at hotel with an unrealted adult! :D That must mean something! lol

Okay, I'll bite. What does that mean?

Hotel, house, apartment. I don't discern a difference as long as my child is with an adult I know and trust. What am I missing?

Have you asked your dd about things she thinks the group would like to do?

Do they have to have some sort of activity going at all times? I've known birthday parties to include wall-to-wall activities, but I've never known sleepovers to be that way.

I just asked my dd13 and she said that she wouldn't enjoy a sleepover that had adult led activities the whole time. Here are some of the things she's said:

We're tweens and teens, we like to have a little independence.

We love to talk. Just put a platter of snacks in front of us and let us just hang out, maybe listening to music and chatting.

Movies are fun. Each girl can make a suggestion and draw from a hat if time is limited.

Back to me: Now granted, this is just the opinion of one 13-year old girl. I'm sure moms of other kids this age will have different opinions.

Good advice....but we aren't going to be at home, so unless I bring supplies....they can't just randomly decide to do something. We have a lavish craft cabinet at home, so if they wanted to do a project like make ankle bracelets, they can. This doesn't work at a hotel. LOL

No cooking supplies, unless I bring them.

No movie cupboard, to pick from. (possibly instant view..but I am not certain)

No back yard to hang out in.

They won't even have the party girl's bedroom to spend time in, they will be with me,in the suite the entire time.

I don't want to pick an assigned project, but just have something for them if they want to do it. For the two hours between 4-6 they will will just be sitting in a hotel room as people arrive. Sure they will chat and visit, that is great. They may never get to the project.....but if they want to have something....I would like it to be available.

As far as asking dd12, she is thinking that hair feathers are still going to be a hit, so I will probably do that. We are also thinking of airbrushed tattoos instead of the henna. Just fun quick things, nothing elaborate.

As far as asking dd12, she is thinking that hair feathers are still going to be a hit, so I will probably do that. We are also thinking of airbrushed tattoos instead of the henna. Just fun quick things, nothing elaborate.

Those sound good. My dd was in a girl's club last year. On our day, I brought in votive candle holders, the small glass ones, along with paints for glass. It was in October and the girls all did Halloween designs. And of course I had candles for each of them as well. Those seemed to be a big hit and the cost was very minimal. I got everything from Walmart.

Have fun! I'd ask your dd what she wants. Personally, I'd not plan anything! lol I'd let them lead. Swimming, food, movies, giggles just sounds like plenty. :)

I have called and talked to each parent personally. I have openly talked about issues that I thought may be problems with some parents. I have addressed as many safety issues that I can think of.

I went to the hotel today and looked at the area/room personally so I know exactly what the area looks like.

The suite door only opens to an interior hallway.

There are no exterior exits that someone can sneek in or out of.

The girls are in two bedrooms, each has a private bath so there is a space for privacy to change etc.

I will sleep in the common area on the fold out couch. I will be 15 feet from the entrance and am a very light sleeper.

The pool is in good repair and there is a bathroom at the pool area, so there will no running back and forth from the room.

The suite has a full kitchen so there will be no running to the vending machines/ice machines. I will stock the supplies myself.

These girls all know each other very, very well. They are not casual friends.

The outdoor areas are clean and it is a very well lit area.

The hotel is suites only, so there are fewer guests and it is a 'nicer' hotel.

My husband and my self are licensed foster parents, and have had full state and federal back ground checks ran on us.

I will be the only adult, and it will be girls only. We are going to be about 15-20 minutes from each of the girl's homes

Of all the families I have talked to, only one had any concerns.....and it was when she thought I was going to let the girls stay by themselves. :confused: She did say she still wanted to talk it over with her husband but historically she has allowed sleep overs (even an outdoor one) so I can't imagine it would be a problem.

I would respect the fact that someone may not like the situation, and that is why I talked to each adult, personally so they could ask any questions before the teen comes home excited about the invite.

You seem to be a parent who may have safety concerns. I would appreciate any feedback you may have about my plans. I want this to be a great experience for everyone!

What about a bringing a few games to have on hand that they could pick from? Pictionary, Guesstures, Bananagrams, Twister, whatever your daughter likes to play.

You could get some unpainted picture frames or cardboard craft boxes from a hobby store and supply gems, foamies, glitter, paint, stickers, beads, etc. for them to customize. Save your receipts and return stuff if they don't get to it. They could string little alphabet beads to spell phrases like "friends" or "fun" or whatever and attach those below the picture if they wanted.

I lead games for my church's youth group, and balloon volleyball is always very popular. Bring some tape and yarn to make a simple net. When we play we don't limit the number of hits per side to 3.

If you can get it truly dark in the room, play hide-and-seek in the dark. Instead of running & tagging, the person who is it touches someone and then has to guess aloud who it is. If she is right, that person is now it. If she is wrong, she counts to 30 while that person re-hides in the dark and she tries to find/guess someone else.

EDITED TO ADD: Another favorite teen party game I've used is "the pillow game." All the girls but one sit in a circle on the floor. The one in the middle is "it" and holds the pillow. Pick a category like "things found at a birthday party" or "zoo animals" or "colors" or "cartoon characters" or "sports" and have the girl in the circle each pick a name for themselves in that category. Start the game by calling out one of the names. The girl w/the pillow tries to hit that person w/the pillow before she can call out someone else's name. If you accidentally hit the wrong person or hit someone after they've already said another name, they get to hit you back 2 times and then you start up the game again. If you are successful in hitting someone before they can say another name, the person you hit is now in the middle and you assume their name. Change the categories and pick new names when it gets too easy.

Edited by AndyJoy

I have called and talked to each parent personally. I have openly talked about issues that I thought may be problems with some parents. I have addressed as many safety issues that I can think of.

I went to the hotel today and looked at the area/room personally so I know exactly what the area looks like.

The suite door only opens to an interior hallway.

There are no exterior exits that someone can sneek in or out of.

The girls are in two bedrooms, each has a private bath so there is a space for privacy to change etc.

I will sleep in the common area on the fold out couch. I will be 15 feet from the entrance and am a very light sleeper.

The pool is in good repair and there is a bathroom at the pool area, so there will no running back and forth from the room.

The suite has a full kitchen so there will be no running to the vending machines/ice machines. I will stock the supplies myself.

These girls all know each other very, very well. They are not casual friends.

The outdoor areas are clean and it is a very well lit area.

The hotel is suites only, so there are fewer guests and it is a 'nicer' hotel.

My husband and my self are licensed foster parents, and have had full state and federal back ground checks ran on us.

I will be the only adult, and it will be girls only. We are going to be about 15-20 minutes from each of the girl's homes

Of all the families I have talked to, only one had any concerns.....and it was when she thought I was going to let the girls stay by themselves. :confused: She did say she still wanted to talk it over with her husband but historically she has allowed sleep overs (even an outdoor one) so I can't imagine it would be a problem.

I would respect the fact that someone may not like the situation, and that is why I talked to each adult, personally so they could ask any questions before the teen comes home excited about the invite.

You seem to be a parent who may have safety concerns. I would appreciate any feedback you may have about my plans. I want this to be a great experience for everyone!

I could never offer all of these formal safety credientials! Not even closs! I am not a huge worrier, and I would let my dd RSVP Yes! :) I was thinking it is great that nobody here has posted in the negative. No, "DD has been invited to an overnight party at a hotel! Is it just me, or does that seem really inapprpropriate?! Why don't people have parties at home anymore?!" Or, 'I don't trust my kids to be *anywhere* overnight without me!"

I think it's wonderful that nobody is posting that it is a bad idea to have a party at a hotel. I think it's a fabulous idea! I am going to borrow it! :)

Edited by LibraryLover

A few activities we've done that have been hits:

Bring a bunch of rolls of toilet paper and tape, and divide the girls into groups of two. Each girl makes up a stylish outfit out of toilet paper and tape for her partner. It can be a dress, a fancy hat, etc. They can then model them and you can take a picture of each one.

Do the girls like to act? Divide the group into two, and give each group a bag with about 10 (or more) props in it (can be clothes, can be odd items: a kitchen pan, a hammer, a camera, etc.). Have the group split up to opposite sides of the room, and give them 20-30 minutes or so to make up a short skit using all of the props. Then, have them perform it in front of the other group.

Play some kind of paper and pencil word or drawing games. There are so many fun ones. I could suggest some, but you probably know some...