Menu

Having a Crisis of Confidence Re: Teaching Singapore DM 1

I finally got my hands on the much-delayed copy of the "Teacher's Guide" for Singapore Discovering Math 1 I had originally ordered back in June (long story). After looking through it, I'm having a major crisis of confidence in my ability to teach DM1. A single page's worth of notes per chapter? One piddly little paragraph per section just pointing out the primary goal of the section? :willy_nilly:

This DM1 TG is making the U.S. edition HIG for Primary Math look positively stellar in comparison (and that really says something considering how I feel about the U.S. ed. HIG :glare:)

I do like the worked out solutions for the practice exercises in the TG. That's a big point in its favor. But I really am feeling panic at the idea of trying to teach algebra without more guidance. :eek:

Please help talk me down off the ledge....

I have no clue about DM, but FWIW, I'm definitely planning on significant amounts of algebra review for myself.

(psst... by the time my dd gets around to it, there may also be AoPS videos corresponding to the Intro to Algebra book - they are "adding a full suite of videos over the next year or two"; even if my dd uses something else, who says I can't refresh my memory with AoPS videos :))

This DM1 TG is making the U.S. edition HIG for Primary Math look positively stellar in comparison (and that really says something considering how I feel about the U.S. ed. HIG :glare:).

The DM TG is just a solutions manual. The rest of it is thin and aimed at classroom teachers - completely not useful.

That said, I didn't have any trouble teaching DM - but then I never used the HIGs for PM either. :tongue_smilie: The one thing I wish I'd had was the TM/SG for the Workbook. It wasn't out yet when we started, and it's $$$, and it seemed silly to pay so much when we were already partway through it.

But man are some of those workbook problems tough! It really would've helped to have the solutions. I barely looked at the regular TM! I'll be using DM again next year with my younger dd, and I think I'll blow the $ on the workbook solutions...

Edited by matroyshka

I did get the workbook TG as I need all the help I can get.

I'm headed over to Barnes & Noble this afternoon to check out their selection of algebra study guides. I loved algebra when I was in high school, it's just been almost 2 decades since I did anything more complex than a simple linear equation....

I'm headed over to Barnes & Noble this afternoon to check out their selection of algebra study guides. I loved algebra when I was in high school, it's just been almost 2 decades since I did anything more complex than a simple linear equation....

It won't be that bad. :) You're a smart cookie - you'll be fine. DM1 gets into Algebra, but not that far beyond the linear equation - it does have them start using radicals in their equations right away (but still linear), and the distributive property and factoring, but not quadratics and quadratic factoring, or any kind of parabolic equations - that must be in DM2.

It's those challenging application problems in the workbook... the workbook SM will be hugely helpful, I'd think.

I did get the workbook TG as I need all the help I can get.

I used the ALEKS Algebra I course about a year before my older son started algebra. It took 40 hours over about a week (I did it during every spare moment). ALEKS is designed for people who have taken the course before and just need to brush up on their skills. It was excellent for this.

I just got an email from HippoCampus that they have re-worked their website including alg 1. http://new.hippocampus.org/

Here is what the email said:

The new site includes not only our own brand-new NROC Algebra I--An Open Course content, but also new math and science lectures, worked examples, and test prep lectures from Khan Academy, and more than 100 interactive simulations for science and math from the University of Colorado's PhET program. You'll also find all the U.S. history, government, and other courses you're accustomed to finding at HippoCampus, presented in a new easier-to-browse format.

You can customize the site by creating a free account, then logging in and editing the content that appears on each page (that is, which subjects appear, which textbooks show, etc.).

Perhaps the site will be helpful for you. My other recommendation is Foerster's text b/c his explanations are excellent, concise, and clear if you need something for you.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart