Menu

Speaking of Canada... a "spot the homeschooler" moment...

My dd (who now attends school) was asked to write a list of 10 items (that you can see) that represent Canada, especially to people of other countries. Here's her list... and can you guess which one the other students laughed about or questioned? NONE of them had heard of it before...

1. maple leaf

2. loon

3. hockey stick

4. inukshuk

5. maple syrup

6. Royal Canadian Mounted Police

7. CN Tower

8. the Drinking Gourd

9. beaver

10. moose

My dd (who now attends school) was asked to write a list of 10 items (that you can see) that represent Canada, especially to people of other countries. Here's her list... and can you guess which one the other students laughed about or questioned? NONE of them had heard of it before...

1. maple leaf

2. loon

3. hockey stick

4. inukshuk

5. maple syrup

6. Royal Canadian Mounted Police

7. CN Tower

8. the Drinking Gourd

9. beaver

10. moose

My 2 guesses

The one that doesn't say "Canada" to me is the loon. Maybe because we have so many here (though we have maple syrup and hockey sticks, too. :D)

1. maple leaf - On the flag, pretty obvious

2. loon

3. hockey stick - National sport, right?

4. inukshuk - Around here, you put one up in your front yard to let everyone know you are so cool you vacation in Canada

5. maple syrup - Obviously Canada (see maple leaf)

6. Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Also obvious

7. CN Tower - Maybe my second guess?

8. the Drinking Gourd - Maybe, if they hadn't read it.

9. beaver

10. moose - Beaver and moose are obvious - fur trading and Bullwinkle.

As usual I learn so much from this board. I have no memory of ever hearing about the Drinking Gourd in school while learning about the Underground Railroad. So I looked it up on several sites and feel much better.

I knew the inukshuk because I've actually been up on the mountain it is on in Whistler. It was horribly cold but very "cool". :)

Maybe she should put poutine on the list instead!! :)

mmmm poutine.

Back to the point, if it weren't for the Vancouver Olympics I have doubts that many Canadian youth would know what an Inukshuk is.

I'm very disappointed to hear about the Drinking Gourd being not just unknown, but questioned by the other students.