Menu

PSA: Infant carseats on top of buggy

Today I went to my Tuesday Bible study. One of the moms stood up and shared about a friend that had a 3 month old. She went grocery shopping with her 3 month old. She had the infant car seat in the top part of the buggy. When the bag boy brought out the grocery cart, he hit a speed bump hard. The infant carseat went flying and the baby hit his head. The baby passed away at the hospital. Just wanted to pass this on. BTW I put the infant carrier on the top part of the buggy with both of my babies. So sad....

That is so sad.

We always put the kids on the top part of the cart in the infant seat. Our seat actually clipped onto the carts. We had to pull the lever as you would to release it from the base. Too bad they don't all work that way :(

That's what mine did too (for the younger 2 at least, the old kind I had for my oldest didn't). I always put the infant seat on the top. What a tragic accident.

That's so sad. I have noticed a change in shopping trolleys round here recently, they now have a good big platform for car seats with a edge around it and straps that hold them down. But only 1 or 2 of these style of carts per store. Still relies on the parent to use the strap though.

Wow, I never would have thought of that. So sorry for the family's loss :(

I do put Baby Girl up there. I am kinda weird about making sure it is situated just right; but that probably wouldn't make a difference in the case the OP describes.

Two things that probably *would* make a difference:

1) I would *never* allow someone other than my hubby or daughter push the buggy with Baby Girl there.

2) I intentionally avoid the store that insists their employees take out my groceries. I *hate* that (introvert).

I heard about that earlier this week.....such a sad situation all around. And that bag boy will live with that accident for the rest of his life. :crying:

Usually I try to put our infant carriers in the back part of the buggy. But in situations that I can't, I always keep a hand on the infant carrier. And I never let the bag boy bring my cart out if my kids are in it.

I saw the newspaper article about that! I felt so bad for everyone involved. Even the poor grocery employee who must be feeling so awful!

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=144953

I have never felt comfortable putting my car seat up there -- even when it clicks in it seems like it would make the cart very top heavy. And evidently that "click" does not ensure that the seat will NOT fall off if the cart falls over. (though I'd expect it to take a bump!)

Unfortunately, babies falling off of the top of carts is not uncommon. Thankfully, it doesn't usually have such tragic results. Both cart and car seat manufacturers are trying to design so that they don't click into place. They don't want to be held liable for injuries because the click gives the false impression of safety. The carseats make the carts quite top heavy, and the cart tipping over with the baby perched on top could be serious regardless of if the seat flies off or not.

That is so sad.

We always put the kids on the top part of the cart in the infant seat. Our seat actually clipped onto the carts. We had to pull the lever as you would to release it from the base. Too bad they don't all work that way :(

That's how mine was. It had two strong metal clips on each side that you had to use levers with. Those were perfect.

I have never put a child in a carseat in the top of the grocery cart. I knew a woman whose child was thrown from the cart (seat and all) but the little one was fine. I remember even back when DS8 was born there were trying very hard to get people to stop doing it. Only 2 of mine even had those portable car seats, and the other two did not. I just sling my babies in the grocery store.

I have never put a child in a carseat in the top of the grocery cart. I knew a woman whose child was thrown from the cart (seat and all) but the little one was fine. I remember even back when DS8 was born there were trying very hard to get people to stop doing it. Only 2 of mine even had those portable car seats, and the other two did not. I just sling my babies in the grocery store.

:iagree: Whether you hear a click or not, it isn't safe.

It is tough for a large family. We FILL two grocery carts (like overflowing). My daughter (age 19) and I go with the two littlest (currently 8mo and 19mo). The baby was in the carrier on top. It clicks but I don't have to do anything special to get it off of there. The toddler was in the buggy seat.

I think I'll do what Jen said and sling the baby from now on.

Today I went to my Tuesday Bible study. One of the moms stood up and shared about a friend that had a 3 month old. She went grocery shopping with her 3 month old. She had the infant car seat in the top part of the buggy. When the bag boy brought out the grocery cart, he hit a speed bump hard. The infant carseat went flying and the baby hit his head. The baby passed away at the hospital. Just wanted to pass this on. BTW I put the infant carrier on the top part of the buggy with both of my babies. So sad....

I saw that on the news. So sad.

Totally devastating story.

I had a close call a few years back, baby was in the car seat in the front of the cart. 3 year old was climbing on the side of the cart and the whole cart tipped over while we were checking out. (insert scream.) Fortunately, baby was unharmed, although I'm thankful he was buckled in or that might not have been the case. But from then on I learned to place no faith in those carts. If I have to use it I always keep a hand on it, esp if other little ones are with me.

Once we were walking the cart back to the car, and although baby was in my Ergo, my 4yo was on the cart "garbage man" style. We hit a bump in the pavement and he flew off. Again, thankful he only got a scrape.

It really is a shame that with so many moms carrying babies in car seats so often- it's just part of the culture- that there are so few safe places to set them down. Shopping centers/grocery stores being the worst. Few restaurants have the sling-type holders available. A car seat can only be as safe as the place where it is set.

the infant car seat (or bouncy seat in the house) should never be set down on an elevated surface--no tables or counters.

Bingo.

I didn't even know that people DO this. :001_huh:

(car seat on cart)

When our olders were that little, we didn't own a car. By the time we did, one was walking and the other was sitting in the proper cart seating with buckles.

Our newbie - if I bring him inside in the carseat, then I place the seat into the main part of the cart. Dd14 will push a second cart for groceries/etc.

Here they have infant seats already attached/mounted/bolted onto carts that you can use.

this is what I was going to ask - don't you guys have trolleys with baby seats on them? Car seats are for cars, not trolleys or raised surfaces. And if baby is in the car seat it's done up, otherwise it's just another level for them to fall off. The fixed baby seats on some of the trolleys here are too top heavy for my taste, I can't imagine balancing a carseat up there.

What a horrible, tragic loss for the family.

So sad!!!!!!!!!! :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

That is so sad.

Yes, but that's not perfect either. Dd threw herself backwards too hard in hers and it spun back around that bar it clips to and the top part (including her head) hit the main cart bottom. I babywear at the store now.