Menu

ohio move

I'm feeling uncertain about so many issues since we are moving from Texas to Ohio in a few weeks.

I haven't found anyone homeschooling using Montessori, which is ok, but I'm really concerned about it getting cold and having no where to go. I really would like other kids for my children.

I'm moving to the Lima, Elida, or Shawnee areas. I could really use a lifeline to help us get established. I'm kind of scared for my husband to go to work and feel like I don't know anyone.

A few times I've though, well if we go to public school at least we'll have something to go to. But I really believe that homeschool and Montessori is best right now.

My daughter is kinder and my son 2nd grade. I'm looking forward to connecting with someone from the area!

Here, I'll give you a little bump! :)

We have a terrific convention in Cincinnati every year, and you can also connect with CHEO (the state org) for more resources. The homeschooling laws are very workable, so you won't have a problem there. You'll find the people pleasant.

Have you tried googling the local newspapers for the towns where you're thinking of living? That would let you find the listings of community activities, etc. I don't know how it is near Lima, but in our area we have *3* large, active homeschool groups and lots of activities. I think you're going to be able to find people to hook up with. If you don't, be wild and just call all the local churches and start picking people's brains.

We usually have a board meet-up at the Cincy convention, so that's something to look forward to. :)

I know my first thought is to get involved with a church asap. I guess waiting to see where exactly we'll live etc....

I am so thankful you've shared that the people are pleasant when it comes to my choice to homeschool. I've had no problems in TX and started to get worried thinking Ohio would be different. I appreciate you sharing that peace of mind.

I grew up in that area (I lived in Lima for a year when I was 5, but then we moved to Wapakoneta and I went to school there.)

There are active homeschool groups in the area, and the people are your typical nice, normal Midwesterners. You can google "Ohio Homeschool Groups" and see a long list. You are looking for Auglaize and Allen counties. Anything in Wapakoneta, St. Marys, etc. will be near, too. I don't know that you'll see a lot of Montessori, but there will be many religious homeschoolers.

If you are willing to drive, the 3C's (Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland) are where culture happens in Ohio. You will find many museums, zoos, etc.

I am in Ohio, but south of you near Dayton. I have found people in Ohio to be very open to homeschooling. I would also look up a coop or homeschool group in the area. Get a membership to a children's museum, we like the Boonshoft, but it's here in Dayton. Good luck with your move and welcome to Ohio! :001_smile:

I'm close to Cleveland. It's pretty far away from you, but if you ever come to the Zoo or the Science Museum....;)

The weather is the biggest adjustment!!! I moved here from NC. I understand the isolated feelings, but get out to the library, the park (during school hours), and you'll probably find some other HSers.

Lima has a beautiful YMCA--check out their programs. There is also a lot of swim team stuff in that area (Shawnee is traditionally a strong high school team along with powerful summer swim for the prep ages.). Maybe your kids would enjoy the sport? It's a great way to get to know people--ps kids and hs kids well very quickly.

Beth

If you are willing to drive, the 3C's (Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland) are where culture happens in Ohio. You will find many museums, zoos, etc.

No, no, no, this just is not true! There's a totally different culture in the rest of Ohio. Now some of Ohio is just flat and rural. But when you go a bit east, you have Amish country. Then when you get in our area you have lots and lots of craft fairs, re-enactors, and just more rural stuff. The big cities are when you get the urban stuff. It's sort of a different world in eastern Ohio, with baskets and crafts and things like "StumpTown." (Google that one, hehe! It's steam threshers and bluegrass music. We've camped there with friends to attend it.)

There's a lot of history stuff in Ohio, with the underground railroad, the canals (Coshocton), lots of presidents' houses, etc. There are a lot of nice state parks, which I imagine will be a change from your Texas terrain. Hocking Hills and Mohican...

So if you're wanting other culture besides urban culture, it's definitely here. You'll enjoy exploring the state. :)

I'm also in the Cleveland area, so a bit far away, but I'm sure you can find some local homeschooling groups in the Lima area. There is much to do in the Columbus, Dayton and Toledo areas, none of which are too far of a drive from Lima.

For your sake, and for the rest of us, I really, truly, with all my heart, hope that this winter is not as bad as last winter. The snow and cold was relentless. I had neighbors that had moved here from NC, and they were in shock. Even those of us who grew up here were getting pretty stir crazy. Buy hats, scarves, gloves and boots when you get here and plan to do winter hiking, sledding, snowball fights, etc. Ohio is awesome for winter outdoor activity.

Well I was going to mention the lake-effect snow, hehe, but I was being nice, lol. I guess the op, being from Texas, will just have to get used to it. I will interject however that even going a bit south can make a difference. I don't know how much the Lima area gets hit, but it's probably not as much as being directly on the lake. As you go south, the snow decreases dramatically. So my mother, who lives 2 1/2 hours north of me, will get a foot where we get 2-3". We barely even get enough snow to snowmobile. So I'm guessing Lima will be somewhere in the middle. And with all that nice, flat land, you'll have plenty of places to snow mobile. ;)

Well I was going to mention the lake-effect snow, hehe, but I was being nice, lol. I guess the op, being from Texas, will just have to get used to it. I will interject however that even going a bit south can make a difference. I don't know how much the Lima area gets hit, but it's probably not as much as being directly on the lake. As you go south, the snow decreases dramatically. So my mother, who lives 2 1/2 hours north of me, will get a foot where we get 2-3". We barely even get enough snow to snowmobile. So I'm guessing Lima will be somewhere in the middle. And with all that nice, flat land, you'll have plenty of places to snow mobile. ;)

Lima is in a snow (and tornado, rain, ice, etc.) belt in mid-Ohio caused by the ______ (can't remember) Valley. We used to get so much snow when I was growing up, and our family in Michigan would get less! :001_huh:

No, no, no, this just is not true! There's a totally different culture in the rest of Ohio. Now some of Ohio is just flat and rural. But when you go a bit east, you have Amish country. Then when you get in our area you have lots and lots of craft fairs, re-enactors, and just more rural stuff. The big cities are when you get the urban stuff. It's sort of a different world in eastern Ohio, with baskets and crafts and things like "StumpTown." (Google that one, hehe! It's steam threshers and bluegrass music. We've camped there with friends to attend it.)

There's a lot of history stuff in Ohio, with the underground railroad, the canals (Coshocton), lots of presidents' houses, etc. There are a lot of nice state parks, which I imagine will be a change from your Texas terrain. Hocking Hills and Mohican...

So if you're wanting other culture besides urban culture, it's definitely here. You'll enjoy exploring the state. :)

At just a little over an hour away from Lima, NW Ohio has the Toledo Zoo & the Toledo Museum of Art. There is also the Imagination Station (Science Museum). Also, in the summer there is Cedar Point - The worlds best amusement park!

At just a little over an hour away from Lima, NW Ohio has the Toledo Zoo & the Toledo Museum of Art. There is also the Imagination Station (Science Museum). Also, in the summer there is Cedar Point - The worlds best amusement park!

Yes! I was in Lima for 5 years and live north now. Lots to do in Toledo.

Lima is in a snow (and tornado, rain, ice, etc.) belt in mid-Ohio caused by the ______ (can't remember) Valley. We used to get so much snow when I was growing up, and our family in Michigan would get less! :001_huh:

Miami River Valley? I should know that without the question mark, but I can't remember for sure either. :tongue_smilie:

Hi! I'm a couple hours east of you, near Akron. Just wanting to join the other Ohioans in welcoming you.

Just a little winter tip - get your kids' winter coats, boots, mittens and stuff as soon as you get settled. If you wait until winter, all you'll find on the shelves will be flip-flops and bathing suits!:blink: We found this out the hard way last year when we put off buying boots!

Welcome!!

You will find Ohio very accepting of your homeschool choice. The regulations are not particularly arduous, and there are rich resources available to support you...Don't be concerned :)

In your shoes I would seek out a local homeschool support group or mom's group that matches your goals and worldview as soon as you get settled. You will find Ohioans friendly, hardy and stout of heart and true in spirit.

signed, a transplanted Ohioan. ;)