Menu

When a recipe calls for crushed Oreo cookies do they mean

crush the whole cookie, filling included, or are you supposed to scrape out the filling and just use the chocolate cookie part?

I've come across some cheesecake recipes that use the cookies (and they specify Oreo) as the crust. They say to crush the cookies and add melted butter and press into the springform pan. I'm thinking that would only work well if the filling is scraped off, but the recipes don't say to do that.

We made a Snickers Cheesecake today for dh's birthday (found the recipe in All You magazine). It was not very sweet even with layer of sliced Snickers bars on top of the crust and caramel topping on top. The cheesecake part was so-so. Anyway, I'm wondering if I should have left the filling in the cookies (I scraped it off).

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Definitely use the filling too! Once you grind it up, the filling kind of disappears and it becomes just crumbs.

Thanks, Julie. This is what I was having difficulty visualizing. It seemed to me that it would be a huge mess and would not work well with melted butter. The Oreo crusts you can buy already made don't look like they have filling included, so I was wondering if the recipes were specifying Oreo because their chocolate cookie part just tastes better than the average chocolate wafer. It's nice to have a dessert expert on the boards!

ETA: Thanks to everyone else, too - didn't mean to be ungrateful. Having a consensus definitely helps.

Edited by Kathleen in VA

My springform pan leaks when I make a cheesecake with crushed whole oreos. I don't know if it's the oreo/butter combination or what. I'm not willing to give up the tasty goodness that is an oreo crust, though, so I just put a cookie sheet under the springform pan. It's butter or something that leaks - not cheesecake batter.

It took me TWICE cleaning burned whatever off the floor of the oven (and the accompanying smokey kitchen) to train me to use the cookie sheet (with edges).

My springform pan leaks when I make a cheesecake with crushed whole oreos. I don't know if it's the oreo/butter combination or what. I'm not willing to give up the tasty goodness that is an oreo crust, though, so I just put a cookie sheet under the springform pan. It's butter or something that leaks - not cheesecake batter.

It took me TWICE cleaning burned whatever off the floor of the oven (and the accompanying smokey kitchen) to train me to use the cookie sheet (with edges).

Sounds like too much butter. If you cut that back, you probably won't have any more trouble.

Yes, just to add to the consensus. You leave the filling in. Just whirl them up in your food processor, easy peasy. Didn't your kids get a horrified look when they saw you scraping and dumping all that filling? Or maybe you found another virtuous use? :)

Yes, my daughter was horrified that I told her to just throw the filling out. All I could think was "yuck, all that high fructose corn syrup" so it didn't bother me at all.:D

we scrape the middle out and throw it away, and only crush the actual cookie part. Some places do have just the crushed cookie part for sale.

Yes, this is why those recipes confused me. I knew you could buy just the crushed cookie, but the recipes did not say anything about scraping out the filling. That seemed odd since the rest of the directions were very explicit, but the idea of trying to crumble the filling with the cookie seemed messy and not really doable. Since our first attempt turned out rather bland and not very sweet we are going to try it again keeping the filling in the cookies this time.

Dd12 is going to enter this cheesecake in a baking contest at our church picnic if we can ever get it tweaked to taste good. We do this every year and it always ends up costing me a lot of $$$$$. She won a few years ago with a caramel apple pie and the look of accomplishment on her face was priceless, so I guess it's worth it.:)

Well you want the filling because it helps hold the crust together and make a better texture. (read that somewhere) If they want only the *cookies*, the recipe will say that. But if they say oreos, they mean the whole thing. As far as the health thing, that's crazy easy to fix. Newman's Own (in the organic aisle) has INSANELY good, ultra-nice, best-you've-ever-had, oreos. They come in chocolate, peanutbutter, mint, and more. Yum-mo!!!

This past week, Kraft's weekly email had a delicious recipe for Peanut Butter Oreo Balls. I highly recommend this as a way to CERTIFY that you should crush the Oreos WITH the filling! I made a half recipe, and dipped them in chocolate almond bark (used with holiday baking).

PEANUT BUTTER OREO BALLS

What You Need

1 jar (18 oz.) creamy peanut butter

2-1/2 cups powdered sugar

15 OREO Cookies, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)

1-1/4 pkg. (8 squares each) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate (10 squares)

Make It

PLACE peanut butter in medium bowl. Gradually beat in sugar with mixer until well blended. Stir in cookie pieces.

ROLL into 66 (1-inch) balls; place in single layer in waxed paper-lined pan. Freeze 1 hour. Meanwhile, melt chocolate as directed on package.

DIP half of each ball in chocolate; gently shake off excess chocolate. Return balls to pan. Refrigerate 30 min. or until chocolate is firm. Keep refrigerated.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

How to Easily Dip the Peanut Butter Bites

Use toothpick to dip peanut butter balls in chocolate as directed. Remove toothpicks after placing dipped balls in waxed paper-lined pan.

How to Easily Shape the Balls

To prevent the peanut butter mixture from sticking to your hands, dust your hands with additional powdered sugar before using to roll the peanut butter mixture into balls.

(You can find it on the Kraft website. And at the bottom of the recipe page were about a dozen more recipes for combining CRUSHED Oreo Cookies with peanut butter!! It's important to hone those culinary skills!)

This past week, Kraft's weekly email had a delicious recipe for Peanut Butter Oreo Balls. I highly recommend this as a way to CERTIFY that you should crush the Oreos WITH the filling! I made a half recipe, and dipped them in chocolate almond bark (used with holiday baking).

PEANUT BUTTER OREO BALLS

What You Need

1 jar (18 oz.) creamy peanut butter

2-1/2 cups powdered sugar

15 OREO Cookies, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)

1-1/4 pkg. (8 squares each) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate (10 squares)

Make It

PLACE peanut butter in medium bowl. Gradually beat in sugar with mixer until well blended. Stir in cookie pieces.

ROLL into 66 (1-inch) balls; place in single layer in waxed paper-lined pan. Freeze 1 hour. Meanwhile, melt chocolate as directed on package.

DIP half of each ball in chocolate; gently shake off excess chocolate. Return balls to pan. Refrigerate 30 min. or until chocolate is firm. Keep refrigerated.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

How to Easily Dip the Peanut Butter Bites

Use toothpick to dip peanut butter balls in chocolate as directed. Remove toothpicks after placing dipped balls in waxed paper-lined pan.

How to Easily Shape the Balls

To prevent the peanut butter mixture from sticking to your hands, dust your hands with additional powdered sugar before using to roll the peanut butter mixture into balls.

(You can find it on the Kraft website. And at the bottom of the recipe page were about a dozen more recipes for combining CRUSHED Oreo Cookies with peanut butter!! It's important to hone those culinary skills!)

I think we'll give this one a go too. This one looks like it would be easier to tote to a picnic, too. Thanks for the recipe.:)

For toting to a picnic at this time of year, I would just dip the oreos in chocolate or white bark, cover in festive orange and whatnot sprinkles, and put on a plate. Way addictive. Peanutbutter filled cookies (you know, the ones like oreos only shaped like peanuts) are crazy good that way.

Man we're bad. :)

Kathleen, I just googled a bit (thinking your whole snickers cheesecake thing might be too good to pass up, hehe), and it looks like the sugar in the recipe you used is a bit lower than the other recipes I'm finding online. Given that you thought it wasn't sweet enough, that might have been the issue.

Hate for you to toss a recipe that could have been good otherwise. :)

Here are a couple versions that seem to review well:

http://www.food.com/recipe/heavenly-snicker-packed-cheesecake-123395

http://www.food.com/recipe/sinful-snickers-cheesecake-73418

http://www.food.com/recipe/candy-bar-cheesecake-13971 This one is a bit different, calling for a vanilla wafer crust and mixing brown and white sugar in the filling.

And this one, well this one looks so BAD (in a good way), it may be the one I have to try. :)

http://www.recipesecrets.net/forums/recipe-exchange/29744-cheesecake-factory-snickers-cheesecake.html And on man, here another person validates that recipe http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071021174243AAFGRbD and throws in how to make the fudge sauce.

But yes, from all that, it looks like the sugar in the recipe you used was low. What's weird is those last couple reciples just say choc. wafer cookies. Don't know. Sometimes individuals aren't as precise as a formal recipe, but it's definitely two places I saw saying that. Could go either way I guess. But I'd never bother to scrape oreos. :)

Wow, I feel so...competent! :001_smile:

(Thanks!)

Hey Julie, how did the lemon cheesecake turn out?

I vote leave the filling in. I've made crusts with the filling and all and they turn out great. But for a truly evil concoction, I give you:

Oreo Balls

1 pkg oreo cookies (any flavor you like, I'm partial to mint for this recipe)

1 8-oz pkg cream cheese

Dipping chocolate/Almond Bark

Put cookies and cream cheese in a food processor and blend until smooth. Working in about 1-Tbsp pieces, roll the mixture into balls and dip in chocolate. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.

I vote leave the filling in. I've made crusts with the filling and all and they turn out great. But for a truly evil concoction, I give you:

Oreo Balls

1 pkg oreo cookies (any flavor you like, I'm partial to mint for this recipe)

1 8-oz pkg cream cheese

Dipping chocolate/Almond Bark

Put cookies and cream cheese in a food processor and blend until smooth. Working in about 1-Tbsp pieces, roll the mixture into balls and dip in chocolate. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.

Ooo, I never thought to do those with mint!!! That would be so festive!!

I'm sure I probably need less butter when I'm using the oreos (maybe none?). I was just using oreos in place of graham crackers 1 for 1 in a recipe, so i did the rest as written.

This is what I would do:

Melt about 2/3rds of the butter originally called for. Add about half of that to your crushed Oreo cookie crumbs and mix to see if the crumbs hold together. Add more melted butter as needed.

The crumbs will only absorb so much butter. It will start to pool around the crumbs instead of being incorporated. Does that make sense?

I had to play around with the amount of butter in an oreo cookie crust for an ice cream cake and this is how I did it.

Hey, I've been meaning to update you!

Thank you so much for the recipe! We've been serving it (sort of) at the restaurant for about a week, though today I changed the menu (more on that in a sec.).

Honestly, I usually change recipes to the point that they're not always recognizable as the original. I did use the recipe mostly as you gave it to me though, with only a few changes for restaurant use.

I love the lemon-shortbread crust, and I used the filling as written, except for adding 1/2 t of lemon extract. I love the glaze as written, but I did leave off the sour cream for the purposes of selling at the restaurant, because it's a toss-up on people who like sour cream topping vs. people who don't. :001_smile:

Thanks again for the recipe, it's a treasure! I hope you don't mind that I made a tiny change or two in order to make it right for the restaurant.

As far as that menu change I mentioned above, I usually only keep each dessert on the menu for about 7-10 days before switching to something else. I still had lemons to use, so I made this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tylers-ultimate/lemon-pudding-cake-with-fresh-mixed-berries-recipe/index.html

It is also an absolutely lovely lemon dessert. If you make it, take it out at about 38 mins instead of 40. I'm serving it with crushed red berry sauce and mascarpone cream. :drool5:

Hey, I've been meaning to update you!

Thank you so much for the recipe! We've been serving it (sort of) at the restaurant for about a week, though today I changed the menu (more on that in a sec.).

Honestly, I usually change recipes to the point that they're not always recognizable as the original. I did use the recipe mostly as you gave it to me though, with only a few changes for restaurant use.

I love the lemon-shortbread crust, and I used the filling as written, except for adding 1/2 t of lemon extract. I love the glaze as written, but I did leave off the sour cream for the purposes of selling at the restaurant, because it's a toss-up on people who like sour cream topping vs. people who don't. :001_smile:

Thanks again for the recipe, it's a treasure! I hope you don't mind that I made a tiny change or two in order to make it right for the restaurant.

As far as that menu change I mentioned above, I usually only keep each dessert on the menu for about 7-10 days before switching to something else. I still had lemons to use, so I made this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tylers-ultimate/lemon-pudding-cake-with-fresh-mixed-berries-recipe/index.html

It is also an absolutely lovely lemon dessert. If you make it, take it out at about 38 mins instead of 40. I'm serving it with crushed red berry sauce and mascarpone cream. :drool5:

Glad it worked out for you! No worries on changing it--I can't make a recipe as written to save my life. Even if it's the first time I'm using it, I usually monkey with it :lol: I'll check out that other one you linked--thanks!