Menu

If you switched from MM to CLE or use CLE...

LAmom

I am needing a little help deciding where to start my 3rd grader. She has done a little bit of MM 3 this year. I gave her the CLE placement test level 200. She got 47 (55 or higher goes on to level 300) but missed 25 of the total due to having skipped it for never learning it (some geometry, measuring units, lines and angles).

So would you say buy all of level 200? She knows adding and subtracting (though could use math fact review). I see parts of level 200 that would be a major review but then parts in the same section we have never focused on.

I know also to not stress about levels but will I be able to get her quickly on track to level 300 (like I want her in for 3rd grade)? I will still supplement with MM because I love the mental math part but believe dd needs more spiral.

You would probably be fine starting with 206.(therefore only having to buy 1 TM - if you plan to buy it) If there is something reviewed that she hasn't seen you could run through it quickly but I suspect there will be very little she hasn't covered in MM.

Parallel lines, equal fractions, solids, measuring to 1/2 and 1/4 inch, and right angles are all introduced after this point. Also gram and kilogram, liters, teaspoon and tablespoon. HTH!

Edited by TracyP
clarification

Tracy P, I see that you use CLE and MM. How do you do that, since I am interested in still incorporating some MM (purchased the full set. Not sure if that is the light blue or blue)? Do you primarily use CLE?

Thank you both. I will look at 206 and 300.

I'd say begin with 206. We faced a similar quandry when placing my son in CLE last year. He passed the placement test, but barely. I backed him up half a year, and let him whiz through. That was very important for him. He built confidence, got a chance to become acquainted with the way CLE lessons are presented, and filled in all the little gaps, all without feeling overwhelmed about the material.

I'd say begin with 206. We faced a similar quandry when placing my son in CLE last year. He passed the placement test, but barely. I backed him up half a year, and let him whiz through. That was very important for him. He built confidence, got a chance to become acquainted with the way CLE lessons are presented, and filled in all the little gaps, all without feeling overwhelmed about the material.

:iagree:

My son got 54 right, I think--it was right under passing I remember and I went with 301 anyway. It was all concepts he'd never been presented, so as they're coming up in 301 (the review light unit) we're taking a little more time to go over them. Example, he'd never been presented the proper name of ray, line, line segment, point, etc. in MM previously. He's also had to get used to the speed drills in CLE since we didn't do that in MM. CLE is working so much better for us than MM b/c he doesn't complain about it and the lessons are short. I think it's a solid program and will likely switch my DD to it for first grade after she finishes K.

Tracy P, I see that you use CLE and MM. How do you do that, since I am interested in still incorporating some MM (purchased the full set. Not sure if that is the light blue or blue)? Do you primarily use CLE?

We are finishing up LU 209 in CLE and working on MM3 right now. I am moving her through the LU's quickly by skipping the quizzes, reviews, and tests. The pp who said your dd could start in 301 is very right but my dd melts down when she doesn't have confidence. I chose to start at a point where I knew she could do it.

She does her CLE lesson completely independent. This takes her about 15 min. Later in the morning I work 1 on 1 with her for about 25 min on math. We do a variety of things during this time but mostly MM. I have the whole grade 1-6 download so I just print what I need at the beginning of the week. We were working straight through MM but she was struggling to understand fractions so we skipped ahead to fractions in MM.

I was going to add more but I have a baby who needs her mama tugging at me.:) Feel free to ask if I didn't answer your question completely.

This is exactly where we are right now. Our 8yo DD (3rd grade) has been doing MM, and I backed up to 2B for her, and she just doesn't understand the regrouping. I don't know exactly what we're doing yet, but I ordered CLE 205 through 210 and 1 teacher's manual (the latter half). I could see she could do many of the things with ease (carrying and borrowing), but needs more help in multiplication, and that seems to start around 205 after looking at the scope and sequence. Also, she needs a tremendous boost to her confidence (tears and more tears with MM), so we may breeze through some of them, but that will serve us well in confidence.

I am very interested to see how your DD does as she goes through this, as we are right there with you! I have realized she is a spiral girl. DD7 is doing amazing in MM so far.