Menu

What do you think of the name Ursula?

Tohru

What do you think of the name Ursula?  

1. 1. What do you think of the name Ursula?

• A wonderful name!
    • Fine, there are others that are better.
    • It's a terrible name.
    • You mean like the sea witch?
    • Other

I'm pretty sure that was Endora. I could be wrong. It's been years!

:iagree: Endora is Samantha's mom.

For me I think of the character in Much Ado About Nothing, the seawitch or Phoebe's evil twin sister. I don't really think about 100 Years of Solitude or Women in Love, probably because I've only read them once.

Definitely has a negative connotation here. It is the sea witch's name in The Little Mermaid (and she is seriously hideous). Wasn't she also Samantha's excruciatingly annoying mother on Bewitched?

Her name was Endora.

Ursula is a Bond girl, not a sea witch, at least in my mind. I always think of Ursula Andress. I don't dislike the name, but it wouldn't be my top choice.

Oh, yes the beach scene comes to mind. Also Playboy's May of 1965 issue.

I think it was a fine name at one point - kind of like my given name. Then it became associated with the sea witch, the sex pot, other negatives. It just fell way out of popular usage because people didn't want their kid being given grief.

I wouldn't saddle my child with it. There are just too many negative connotations.

Edited by Parrothead

When I hear the names Phoebe & Ursula together' date=' I think of the move Kindergarten Cop. The female detective was named Phoebe but used the name Ursula when pretending to be Arnold's sister.[/quote']

I forgot about that! Now I need to see if our library has the movie, I like that one ;)

In the Poldark novels by Winston Graham, Ursula Warleggan was an unlovely, cruel-minded daughter of a wealthy, cruel-minded man. Anyone familiar with that series would have a pretty negative bias toward the name.

OT - I loved the Poldark miniseries on PBS! Haven't seen it in years, though (I was a teen), and don't remember Ursula - just Elizabeth and Demelza (there's a name for you!)

I've never read the novels, but I did get them for free at some book giveaway, and keep meaning to get to them. Are they as good as the show?

I'm biased. I have a dear friend named Ursula. We met in college, and have been friends since. She is a brilliant scientist, an excellent presenter at conferences, cute, spunky, happy, and always fun.

I love the name Ursula. :)

Me, too, except my friend Ursula is a cute, spunky, happy, super fun flight attendant.

I always thought only certain people could carry off certain names; then I wondered if people grew to become 'people that could carry off certain names' by virtue of having been given a 'certain name'. If that makes any sense to anyone not in my head LOL.

I've never seen Little Mermaid but my Ursula gets that reference (way too) often. It's our age, I think, because that was apparently popular here in the States when my friend was in elementary school.

I like this name and dh likes it in a spooky sort of way.

I've read on name forums that a lot of people have a negative reaction to it, so I was just wondering what the Hive thought of the name.

Thanks for voting! :)

My first thought was of Kindergarten Cop. (The female cop uses Ursula as an undercover name.)

Overall, I'm not too crazy about the name, though as a child I liked the fact that it meant bear. (I used to read a lot about names and their meanings, and make huge lists of unusual names that I liked.)

However, all 4 of my children had a very negative reaction, and said not to name her that, because she would hate it when she gets older.

It's actually a very pretty name. But the first thing that pops into my head is the Sea Witch from Little Mermaid. She was such an awesome bad guy, way too effective in ruining the name Ursala.

It also conjures up The Big Dipper for me (which "I" think is very pretty imagery). But if she winds up in a school "Ursa Major" will probably rear it's ugly head as a teasing name.

I voted for the sea witch but even before the movie came out I didn't like care for the name...mostly because it has a hard URRR sound to it. I don't like names with hard sounds such as Agness, though I did hear a girl from Italy pronouce her name Agness as Ahh-neece and I liked that. If there was a way to soften the URRR in Ursula I wouldn't mind it.