Menu

Drawing With Children-Lesson Plans and Videos I Created

I recently finished writing and sharing lessons to go along with the book Drawing With Children by Mona Brookes. I took each lesson and gave you ways to adapt the lesson to your nature journal. I made a few videos and tutorials to go along with the lesson plans so you would have a visual aid in just how to go about using the many mediums that Mona Brookes suggests. Even though I slanted my posts to go along with your nature journal, the lessons are applicable to drawing of any kind.

I know there are many of you on this forum that have tried to use the book and I thought you might like to have a resource that included:

1. All lesson plans listed with links.

2. Photos of many of the art mediums with links to Amazon.com

3. Examples of artwork from our nature journals.

4. All the videos I made to go along with the lessons.

5. Explanations of each kind of art supply needed

Here is the link:

Drawing with Children-Nature Journal Style

I hope someone can use these ideas with their children.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Thank you so much! I'll definitely be looking over this during the weekend. With it being our first year homeschooling, I've been more focused on the main subjects and thought we'd pull art into the mix when we found our groove. I guess we never got "groovy!" This looks just like the kick I need to get going on it! I'll try giving you some rep even though I know I don't have enough posts to really matter, but...it's the thought that counts, right?

Deb

Wow! Very exciting. Thank you. My kids just asked me today if we could start using Drawing With Children again. We used it for a while last year but it was a lot of work for me, especially because drawing is completely foreign to me. Anyway, today I started thinking about how great it would be to have a video for it and voila! here it is. Can't wait to look at your materials. Thanks again.

CM type group that meets every other week for poetry recitation/art study and one of the leaders has been working on lessons from this book- Drawing with Children - with the kids after lunch. This is so great because I had no clue how to continue with the book after the group switches to a different after-lunch activity. I am passing this website along to the leaders of our little group also. Thanks again.

Cindy H. in NC

I am touched by all the positive response to this post today. I started this series on my blog awhile back and I just finished it a few weeks ago.

The videos my son and I made are really amateur so just remember that they were done by my twelve year old son and I at our school table. Maybe it will encourage you to know that even those that have been around art study for a period of time are really just humble people doing their best. :)

Also, I love Drawing With Children because at the beginning of the book she goes through a lot of really good information for you as the parent to read and get some help from. Don't skip the introductory pages or you will miss out.

So glad that so many are going to benefit from what I worked through ahead of you.

Barb

Wow. I have tried to implement this program so many times and have always given up. I am inspired to try again. Thank you, this must have taken so much of your time. You are so generous to share this with the world. I am going to tell all my local friends about this.

• 2 years later...

I realize this thread is pretty old, but just want to thank you for the inspiration. I just got Drawing with Chidren and can't wait to implement it this way with my nature loving son. thanks again!

(I am also really looking forward to starting your nature studies too.)

I also write a lot about Drawing With Children on my blog if you need some additional inspiration or encouragement.

Here is one post I especially like:

Drawing With Children: Encouragement Again

You can email me anytime if you have questions too:

harmonyfinearts@yahoo.com

Thanks for the thanks.

Barb

Just came back from vacation to find this much-needed thread. I'm so glad someone gave it a bump. This is perfect, Barb, as we had purchased the book a while back because we wanted to improve the quality of our drawings in our nature journals. For myself, I at least want to know that I am looking at a bird.:D

• 2 years later...

I just googled "Mona Brookes Drawing With Children Lesson Plans" and hit on this old thread.

Thank you so much Barb!!!  I have had the book for years and just don't 'get it'...This will be such a help to us, especially with the page number references.  I have one child who lives and breathes art, and another who really wants to improve but can barely draw a square.  This will really be a blessing to us this year as they have both requested 'more art' and I was lost...

Thank you so much!  :hurray: