Menu

My math lab or MathXL

I helped my college freshman tonight with some math problems using MathXL. I loved the way it worked!

Can homeschoolers buy it? The publisher's website looked as if they would only sell to college profs.

Is there anything similar that is available to homeschoolers?

(I'm still not really thrilled with Algebra 2 this year.:confused:)

Thanks!:D

MathXL and MML are both the same program. MathXL is what drives the math part of MML. MML has extra features (I'm able to post handouts, put up web links, announcements, etc). For HW problems, quizzes, tests, anything where the student is using the math software, MathXL is the driver.

So everything in MathXL is also in MML.

MML used to be CourseCompass - Pearson has just made the change.

They're also making changes and doing MyLabsPlus which is through the college using the software - so you go to the college site rather than the MML site.

I highly doubt they'd let homeschoolers have access... but you'll want to contact someone at Pearson. http://mymathlab.com/

I've had both good and bad experiences contacting a rep. You can use the "contact us" info at the site.

The software is linked to a textbook, so access costs depending on the text - right now I think it's about $80 since the text is available. That's another reason I don't think they'd let homeschoolers have access... I can create a course through MML and have access to the text & all resources.

I also dealt with a steep learning curve when starting to use the software. I've been using it about 9 years now. To set up a good course takes a LOT of time (picking homework problems and organization of the course).

The chair of the math department at our cc uses Alexs when he does tutoring, so it really may be a useful alternate.

I love MML and think it's been great. Getting access is where you'll have the most difficulty though... Contact Pearson & see what they say.

Dana,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I did not realize the instructor was picking and choosing and "building" what I saw and helped with last night. I thought it was software "automatically" giving a problem based on previously missed problems.

The main thing I LOVED was that the example problems were worked exactly like the assigned problem. My dd was able to keep the example on the screen while working through the assigned problem.

Maybe I will take another look at ALEKS. MML is probably "too much" for our needs.

Thanks Sandra and Dana!

Dana,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I did not realize the instructor was picking and choosing and "building" what I saw and helped with last night. I thought it was software "automatically" giving a problem based on previously missed problems.

The main thing I LOVED was that the example problems were worked exactly like the assigned problem. My dd was able to keep the example on the screen while working through the assigned problem.

Maybe I will take another look at ALEKS. MML is probably "too much" for our needs.

Thanks Sandra and Dana!

There is a real danger in using the example and just following it... Then on the test, you're used to copying the example and not doing it on your own. Major danger!

If it's enabled, I'd suggest your daughter use Help Me Solve It rather than View Example. And use the sample tests to see if she really knows the material before testing.

The software does do a lot... But if there's assigned homework, the instructor did pick which problems to include and set it up. A blank course when initially created doesn't have much.

Dana;

Thanks for the warning.

We saw several of the same types of problems and she only watched the example once.

There are several "issues" with this student in math and that might be the least of them.:)

I thought I was DONE doing math with her. Last night I asked her to start going to the tutoring center instead. "But Mom, I'm comfortable with you." THAT might be a problem!

But, I was mainly asking for my boys. I'd like them both to have more practice on certain kinds of problems.

Thanks again,

Pam

• 5 months later...
Guest LutherSetzer

Just FYI, anyone can subscribe to MathXL and use the included sample problems and quizzes to teach oneself almost any mathematics subject. See my demonstration at

for those who have never used it. I am a 46 year old engineer and like it a great deal for refreshing my memory on a great many mathematics topics. Moreover, I worked through its cousins, MyEconLab and MyFinanceLab, to prepare for courses on those subjects in an MBA program I recently completed. I can only say good things about this software and its "standalone" value outside a formal college class.

• 5 months later...

This is a very old post.

However,

We used (and still use) interactmath.com for free. :)

DS17 is doing very well in his DE stats class this year. One reason is that is was completely versed in the software. In fact, he has helped other students in the class. He is still using interact occasionally to work through some problems ahead of time. :)

I want to thank you guys for posting the link to interactmath.com

it's going to be such a big help to my youngest son.

My oldest son can home from college last year and told me that he really liked MyMathLab for his college algebra class and that I needed to get something similar for my younger son to do his algebra. I had no idea that there was a free version online. I only wish that I had this last year!

Thanks