Menu

Instead of Thanksgiving?

I usually host the extended family Thanksgiving dinner, over 25 people, and this year I'd rather not. Instead, I'd like to have my family be involved in some kind of a service project, but I don't know how to find one. My kids are 5-15 so we can all help cook/serve dinner at a homeless shelter, for example, but how would I go about finding one?

If nothing is coming up on a Google search, I'd suggest contacting a local church or synagogue. They should know where to direct you. Some may not, however, want children as young as 5 helping out. (A lot of volunteer programs want teens and up, or age 8 and up - 5 is awfully young to be working a big, crowded, Thanksgiving meal service.)

Our Cub Scout pack delivers Meals on Wheels on Thanksgiving so that the regular delivery people can have the day off. You might want to check with your local Meals on Wheels to see if they have that option.

This is a great idea...serving others and honoring the volunteers!

If you can't find a place to serve on Thanksgiving day, maybe you could work on a service project at home. (and serve at a shelter another time)

Also, consider helping out the weekend before or the weekend after. I know the shelter where my dad volunteered often had to turn away volunteers on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day because those are popular for many people.

Shelters often need extra help in the summer months because volunteers go on vacation or just because it's more forward in your mind to think about helping around the holidays.

Maybe your own Thanksgiving Day meal will be more meaningful if you help at the shelter/food pantry in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving?

We participate in scouting for food, eagle scout projects, and other things organized by our church. But the kids don't get to see the people who are the recipients of the food, etc. I want them to be able to see the faces of those less fortunate (and I want to get out of cooking a big dinner).

Thanks for the ideas so far.

We participate in scouting for food, eagle scout projects, and other things organized by our church. But the kids don't get to see the people who are the recipients of the food, etc. I want them to be able to see the faces of those less fortunate (and I want to get out of cooking a big dinner).

Thanks for the ideas so far.

That's why I like delivering the Meals on Wheels. The elderly shut-ins are delighted to see the little boys dressed in their cub uniforms. Our pack makes Thanksgiving cards to give out with the meals, too. We often get invited in to sit and chat for a few minutes and they often want to give the kids candy or a cookie. It's sad when I realize that these people are all alone for the holiday, so we do our best to give them a little lift.