Menu

Autumn is here... My kids have no clothes...

I was trying to put together a cute outfit for my girls to wear to church today and I realized that they hardly have anything suitable for cooler weather. I want to make a list of everything they should have in their wardrobes and then start to assemble this. I don't want to do my usual haphazard way of getting clothes. I do a lot of thrift shopping but I would like to buy new a few basics that will work well all winter. What is a good list of items each child should have? I am thinking of my 11 & 8 year old daughters and my 5 year old son. Heck, why don't we throw me into the mix as well; 38 year old mom.

Guest IdahoMtnMom

We live in a resort town that is very casual and laid back... so our winter staples are jeans (4 pairs), long sleeved shirts (25 or so), sweaters (10 or so), down vests (3), down jackets (3), and ski clothes (2 sets).... scarves and hats, of course.... I do have a couple of winter dresses (mostly for funerals and black tie stuff) and a couple of dressy Ann Taylor pant suits (again, funerals)For myself (I am 34) I try and stick to Gap, Old Navy, Prana (my FAV any time of year), Free People, and Royal Robbin for daily clothes... oh, DKNY and Levi for jeans... and North Face, Marmot, and Nils for outerwear... and Merrill, Sorel, and Bogner for winter shoes... But when I don't leave the house, I am in sweats ALL the way... as for the kids, I just listed what they already have in another post on this page...

We live in wet weather most of the year with temps between the low 30s and mid 60s. We get by with 3-4 pairs of pants, 3-4 long sleeve shirts, 1-2 sweaters, a winter jacket, a hat, a pair of gloves, and a pair of tennis shoes for each person. We don't put away out of season clothing so our short sleeve shirts and shorts are available, though we don't usually wear them.

Preschoolers and under have more clothing because they get dirtier and need more layers.

My four year old gets more winter clothes than others because he is very intolerant of the cold.

Part of it depends on how much variation is in your weather and how often you wash. Our winter/fall weather varies from the 70's to below 0. My girls typically have 3 long cord skirts, 2 dresses, 3 pairs of pants, 6 long sleeve shirts, 3 fleece pullovers, 2 vests, a light jacket and a heavier coat. I try to get most of the items so that they can mix and match outfits. They also typically wear boots with their skirts in the winter to keep warmer. We found some lovely long skirts at LLBean this year.

Edited by Karen in CO