Menu

Hard water - need a nightly toilet cleaning routine

Does anyone have a routine for this?

I'm pretty sure if I give the toilet a quick scrub with bleach and let it sit overnight, hard water won't be as much of an issue. But I can't seem to wrap my head around a doable nightly routine.

Can you please help me get past all my procrastinating and excuses?

This is one of those tips that no one has ever heard about and no one ever believes me. Very, very, very fine sandpaper will take off hard water stains. The 65yo dad of a friend told me to use 180 grit. I usually buy 220 grit and there is even sandpaper that works when wet.

We have hard water and clean this way every month or so. Works great!

Lisa j

I might have a hard time convincing dh about putting anything in the tank. Isn't there something about tank pucks wearing out the toilet fittings?

Fine sandpaper? Cool.

I was just thinking if I soaked the darn thing most nights, it would look nice most of the time. I'm not sure handling bleach in my pajamas is a great idea, though.

We use Clorox bleach drop in cleaners (you drop them in the tank). They are clear and got rid of the hard water marks. When the marks start coming back I know it is time to drop in a new one.

LOVE THEM. Definitely solved my yucky looking toilet.

:iagree: I am on well water and clorox are the only ones that work for us.

We use Clorox bleach drop in cleaners (you drop them in the tank). They are clear and got rid of the hard water marks. When the marks start coming back I know it is time to drop in a new one.

LOVE THEM. Definitely solved my yucky looking toilet.

See, this would work if I could convince my four-footed, furry companion that toilets are not troughs, installed in multiple places in our home for her convenience. :ack2:

See, this would work if I could convince my four-footed, furry companion that toilets are not troughs, installed in multiple places in our home for her convenience. :ack2:

Our dogs are all outside now and the kids are old enough that paranoia of them falling in in the night has passed, so I can actually consider leaving bleach around in the toilet. Hurrah, I think.

We use KABOOM toilet tank tablets. They do EVERYTHING and are FABULOUS! Sometimes hard to find, but wow, do I LOVE them!

Love, love, love Kaboom tablets, and they are septic safe (technically bleach is not).

You might need to start with pumice stone, similar to light sand paper, to get rid of the really bad marks, but kaboom WILL keep it sparkling with zero effort on your part, no matter how bad your water is. This stuff rocks!

I spray mine down with vinegar first thing in the morning and then do a quick scrub before my daily shower (about 3 hours later, during baby's nap). It really works to get rid of the hard water build up!

That might work. I've tried vinegar overnight and the odour was unpleasant. I have a spray bottle of vinegar I could leave in the bathroom. Thanks!