Menu

Can get get a list of all Chrisitian based Biology programs/publishers...

Would anything be possible to combine a 5th grader with a 1st and 2nd grader? I can do them separate if needed but I would rather not.

Would a 5th grader be better to combine with 9th grade or the 2 youngers? All 4 will be in Biology next year and I just do not want to do 3 separate levels, ya know?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Would anything be possible to combine a 5th grader with a 1st and 2nd grader? I can do them separate if needed but I would rather not.

Would a 5th grader be better to combine with 9th grade or the 2 youngers? All 4 will be in Biology next year and I just do not want to do 3 separate levels, ya know?

You could do Science Shepherd Biology and Life Science. The Life Science has almost all the same topics as the Biology, the information is just simpler.

Edited by STEM
Spelling

BJU Life Science would be quite a challenge for a 5th grader. Some could do it, especially with guidance, but it would not really be adaptable for the 1st and 2nd grader.

God's Design (the color version) is actually set up for multiple ages with color-coding for what to do with each level.

If you are open to a Bible-neutral option, Elemental Science Logic Stage Biology is excellent and written with the idea that the student will be primarily independent with the teacher available to guide which would free you up to help the littles with something else.

Heather

I would not have a 5th grader try to do BJU's life science.

What about Christian Kids Explore ....? It might work for elementary through early logic stage. (Disclaimer - it's probably the one science program I haven't tried, but I've failed to find one I like, so maybe that's hopeful).

We use Christian Kids Explore Chemistry and Physics but I have heard the biology text was not good. Now, I wonder if it was because the particular poster did not like the set up more than the actual content. It sounded in the post as if that were the case but the poster never came back to answer that. (I asked about CKE before we used Chemistry last year)

I was planning on using Gods Design, but I haven't really researched alot so I want to see if there is something better before committing, kwim?

BJU Life Science would be quite a challenge for a 5th grader. Some could do it, especially with guidance, but it would not really be adaptable for the 1st and 2nd grader.

God's Design (the color version) is actually set up for multiple ages with color-coding for what to do with each level.

If you are open to a Bible-neutral option, Elemental Science Logic Stage Biology is excellent and written with the idea that the student will be primarily independent with the teacher available to guide which would free you up to help the littles with something else.

Heather

I don't want something that is all about evolution. We are firm believers in a literal 7 day creation. I can handle a few mentions of it but we don't want a text that evolution is interwoven in every.single.thing. Kwim? Would Elemental Science fit that?

Also, I wonder for the 1st and 2nd grader would it be enough to just read living book and library books kinda following the topics covered in a biology text? Or would they need more at that age?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

I don't want something that is all about evolution. We are firm believers in a literal 7 day creation. I can handle a few mentions of it but we don't want a text that evolution is interwoven in every.single.thing. Kwim? Would Elemental Science fit that?

Also, I wonder for the 1st and 2nd grader would it be enough to just read living book and library books kinda following the topics covered in a biology text? Or would they need more at that age?

Elemental Science does not mention evolution. The books they use have evolution in them (they use a couple of Usborne and/or DK encyclopedias) but the program does not assign those pages or address origins. The author is a Christian but has decided to avoid dealing with this in her products since it is even a controversial issues among Christians.

I think having 1st and 2nd graders reads books along side is plenty. I know that's how my girls have learned the most at that age. Sometimes I wonder why I bother with curriculum LOL. If you find at some point that you'd like to add some hands-on more for them, then you could get the Biology for Every Kid book and do some things out of there. I suspect, though, that just sharing the experiments with the older one will be enough. We did that last year when my oldest was doing AP Biology. My youngest just watched and enjoyed. She loved it, especially the dissections. It drove my oldest nuts having her 7 year old sister tagging along but she survived. :lol:

Heather

For 1st and 2nd grade, I would definitely consider using the Let's Read and Find Out series for as long as it held the kids' interest. There will be some that mention millions of years, but it's pretty easy to guess which ones, or preview, and either avoid or explain.

Also, have you looked at the Task Cards that some are using this year? I haven't used them, but I wonder if they would work across a wide spread of ages? I would at least look into them if I were looking for science.

Elemental Science does not mention evolution. The books they use have evolution in them (they use a couple of Usborne and/or DK encyclopedias) but the program does not assign those pages or address origins. The author is a Christian but has decided to avoid dealing with this in her products since it is even a controversial issues among Christians.

Heather

I don't mind supplementary books once in a while talking about it. That leads to good discussions. To much though is, well, to much :001_smile: We use some of the DK books and love them.

Off to check this out! Thanks

For 1st and 2nd grade, I would definitely consider using the Let's Read and Find Out series for as long as it held the kids' interest. There will be some that mention millions of years, but it's pretty easy to guess which ones, or preview, and either avoid or explain.

Also, have you looked at the Task Cards that some are using this year? I haven't used them, but I wonder if they would work across a wide spread of ages? I would at least look into them if I were looking for science.

I will check that series out for my ds's also!

I saw the thread but I didn't open it. To big once I found it. It scared me :lol:

Can you give me an abbreviated summary of them. I have never heard of them. Or should I suck it up and read the thread?